Thread: Gamedaily's Top Five Most Overrated Industry People

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    After writing that, you still don't understand why Reggie is overrated? He IS just a marketting guy, yet he's treated like he's so much more. Hence overrated.

I actually agree with the SELECTIONS on the list, but I disagree for their REASONING for the selections. So I pretty much agree with what Aussie said a few posts up.

Cliffy B is starting to get overrated, too. I was expecting to see him on the list.

I knew Kojima and Miyamoto would be there.
    But that's the thing, he's a marketing figurehead. He's SUPPOSED to be visible. It's his job.

Game designers makes games. There's not that much reason to know who they are.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lame list. I've never even heard David Jaffe being talked about. I knew who he was, but that's about it. Where the hell is Cliffy B?

I can't agree at all with the honorable mentions. Mizuguchi has done some great work and isn't all that highly recognized, and no one gives a shit about American McGee (although Oz would've been good).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with all the people - especially Kojima.

MGS2 sucked soooooooo much it wasn't even funny. Well, actually, I DID laugh throughout the whole game because it was so god-awful.

Kojima $%#@ed up MGS2 so much so that I haven't played the newer games and could care less about the upcoming next-gen sequel.

Miyamoto is overrated simply because he is the gaming world's equivalent of Steve Jobs. People honestly don't think his crap stinks. I have seen ZERO innovation in a Zelda game since 2000's Majora's Mask, ZERO Innovation in a 2D Zelda since '93's Link's Awakening, ZERO innovation to a 3D Mario game since 96's Mario 64...ZERO innovation to a 2D Mario game since 95's Yoshi's Island, ZERO innovation to Star Fox since the original game in '93, ZERO innovation to 2D Pokemon since the original, ZERO innovation to Metroid since Prime and Super Metroid...basically, this guy is thought of as some awesome something because he either created or worked on great games years or decades ago. I'm not saying he isn't worth anything because obviously he's talented...but the last truly good game he made from scratch was Pikmin. Since then, nuthin' but sequel city...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree with Kojima and Miyamoto being on the list I think they deserve there spot of greatness because they earned it. great games like msg for the psx and super mario 64 maybe old and forgotten but are 2 of the best produced games out there.
    neo geo system

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    I disagree with Kojima and Miyamoto being on the list I think they deserve there spot of greatness because they earned it. great games like msg for the psx and super mario 64 maybe old and forgotten but are 2 of the best produced games out there.
    They weren't overrated THEN but they are overrated NOW.

No one was saying they didn't do great things in the PAST. But just because you do something great once or a few times doesn't mean you should get to wear the crown of "Awesomeness" forever. Also, if you end up creating crap later on, that should damage your reputation as well.

I my opinion, MGS2 sucked so bad it HURT my memories of the original game. I don't doubt the original MGS is a good game, but I no longer mention it to people as something truly wonderful....Kojima's fluke of greatness, that's all.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    I have seen ZERO innovation in a Zelda game since 2000's Majora's Mask, ZERO Innovation in a 2D Zelda since '93's Link's Awakening, ZERO innovation to a 3D Mario game since 96's Mario 64...ZERO innovation to a 2D Mario game since 95's Yoshi's Island, ZERO innovation to Star Fox since the original game in '93
    And those are conveniently the points in which Miyamoto stopped having a significant role in the development of the games. For the most part, all he does these days is have other people create new entries in the franchises he created, and once they have something to show, Miyamoto takes a look and says "yeah, this looks good".

I don't see what Miyamoto ever had to do with Pokemon and Metroid, though. o_O Metroid is Gunpei Yokoi's baby (and he died after Super Metroid), and Game Freak developed Pokemon.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All Nintendo games are basically credited to Miyamoto nowadays, just like the Gamecube was pretty much HIS machine, made the way he wanted. This is both good and bad because whether or not he was involved with a game every step of the way or just giving the final okay to a title under the Nintendo brand, he is the name everyone associates with it.

So, yes, while other people may have had more significant roles on certain games, when you hear Nintendo you think Miyamoto...not the guy who made Super Mtroid or the guy who was the creator of Pokemon or the guy who came up with Starfox and so on.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, that's the point of his inclusion. He deserves all the credit he gets for his own creations, but he's overrated when he's getting credit that other people should be receiving. But he also shouldn't take the blame if there are any problems with the recent games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That list is absolutely terrible...the guy has no idea what he is talking about.
    "It's Time To Kick Ass And Chew Bubble Gum......And I'm All Outta Gum"

-Duke Nukem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed View Post
    Hah -- so Kojima and Miyamoto make the list, but not Cliffy B? We'll see who's talking about his games five years from now.
    Actually I was talking about his games over 8 years AGO when he designed the original Unreal Tournament. I give the guy a whole lot of credit for having two monster games in UT and Gears of War under his belt by the age of 32.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If people are going to put Miyamoto on the list then what about Jason Rubin, formerly of Naughty Dog? If Crash Bandicoot and his various games (including Crash Team Racing) weren't inspired by Mario in some way, then you'll have to tell me what the inspiration was. A lot of the Crash games weren't even that good. I'd be curious to hear why Rubin hasn't even been mentioned yet. At least Miyamoto has had a few more original ideas in his lifetime than Jason Rubin. He sure as heck hasn't put together a game as sloppy as Way of the Warrior, at least not any game I've ever heard of. I understand a fighting game released back on the 3DO shouldn't have any bearing on a list released in 2007 but that isn't the point. The point is that maybe Miyamoto is overrated but top five? I just don't see why Jason Rubin or his (former) cohorts are getting a free pass here.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They weren't overrated THEN but they are overrated NOW.

No one was saying they didn't do great things in the PAST. But just because you do something great once or a few times doesn't mean you should get to wear the crown of "Awesomeness" forever. Also, if you end up creating crap later on, that should damage your reputation as well.

I my opinion, MGS2 sucked so bad it HURT my memories of the original game. I don't doubt the original MGS is a good game, but I no longer mention it to people as something truly wonderful....Kojima's fluke of greatness, that's all.
    Well My point is that if you stack their resumes up with any others they will hold there own. How many people try to develop games and create blockbusters? Tons of people try but many never get the brass ring. The unfair thing is that no one can consistantly put out blockbusters. The is not one person alive. Ms2 might have hurt your eyes but alot of people loved it and zone of enders 2 was great as well as pikman. I call it crabs in the barrel when you are on top people want you to fall off. They revel when you do just look at Rare to hear people talk you would think rare create drake. When one makes a great great game it is hard to top it No matter how good a sequel is to some it is never better than the original. overated I don't think so.
    neo geo system

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

ShenmueFan sure does talk a lot.
    Sorry dude, but the majority of your posts just come off as really, really annoying.

I have nothing to say about the list. I barely play any games by anyone on the list, besides CastleVania and Tetsuya Mizuguchi's games. I agree that CastleVania is getting stale, and I liked Every Extend Extra.

Yeah.

-GoTaS

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guru of Time and Space View Post
    Sorry dude, but the majority of your posts just come off as really, really annoying.
    That seems uncalled for. I don't have a problem with his posts.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have nothing to say about the list. I barely play any games by anyone on the list, besides CastleVania and Tetsuya Mizuguchi's games. I agree that CastleVania is getting stale, and I liked Every Extend Extra.

Yeah.

-GoTaS
    Well people with stupid opinions who can't back up what they're saying annoy me!

At least I attempt to back up my opinions with a good description of WHAT I'm trying to say.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beef min.
    Calm it.

-GoTaS

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beef min.
    Calm it.

-GoTaS
    Okay.........................anybody understand that or do I have to break out the L33T dictionary, 5th grader edition?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Search for a thread called "it calm the beef min".

After you find it, be prepared to be just as confused as you are now.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just searched and .... yeahhhhhhh ... ummm.... I'm gonna go to sleep now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the original Metal Gear series for the MSX and NES? He more or less invented the sneaking game, how many designers can boast that they've created/popularized a new genre? And Snatcher and Policenauts?
    Last edited by GillianSeed; 03-25-2007 at 08:24 AM.