Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3 runs in 1080p and 60FPS?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3 runs in 1080p and 60FPS?

From a technical aspect, Ninja Gaiden Sigma looks about as sharp as we figure games can get. Every texture in the game has been reworked for the PlayStation 3, and a number of other effects have been added to spice things up, like self-shadowing and so forth. Some creatures now shine with ooze, while others emit clouds of something as they scurry about the battlefield. Tecmo said that it has just recently managed to implement full 1080p support into the game, and at a full 60fps to boot. Yes, this is one slick-looking title.
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/775/775292p1.html

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks great. Is sigma a super remake of black?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Yup. I read that entire article. I can't even stress how excited I am to pick this up and I've beaten the original and played Black for many hours. The weird thing is that Team Ninja said in their last article (on 1up) that they had determined that the optimal resolution was 720p to get the best experience on the PS3. I'm assuming they were able to get even more than they expected out of the system and now can pump out full 1080p. This is incredibly exciting.

I welcome Team Ninja refining Ninja Gaiden to the point of perfection. There aren't many games that deserve this type of treatment--this is one that does. Interestingly enough, I've been thinking about God of War vs Ninja Gaiden (since I'm playing GOW II).

Even though I really love the story, backgrounds, character design and scope of God of War II I can't help but feel that Ninja Gaiden is a better overall action game. There are times in God of War when I'm trying (desperately) to pull out some "complicated" combos. But, it just doesn't work---the game isn't designed for that. Its fantastic--beyond fantastic---but just not designed for that. What is?

Ninja Gaiden. Everyone who plays Gaiden plays it differently and uses the combo system in their own unique way to create a totally individualized playing experience. That is truly truly unique.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who cares.

How many people own 1080p capable tvs anyway?

Besides, as long as a game is at 30fps, the graphics are good enough.

In fact, making visuals "too slick" can make them look phony, in my opinion.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    Who cares.
    The people who own 1800p capable sets.

They're really come down in price, so I'm sure 1080p sets are slowly moving into homes. It may not be a huge difference now, but it's an easy selling point.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    The people who own 1800p capable sets.

They're really come down in price, so I'm sure 1080p sets are slowly moving into homes. It may not be a huge difference now, but it's an easy selling point.
    But it doesn't add anything to gameplay.

People who play in 1080i aren't going to say, "Oh my God! I can't play this stupid game! If only I didn't have this damned interlacing!"

...and they're really NOT coming down in price. Until you can get a 1080p TV for less than $500, no one's gonna care.

I mean, what's next? Pong at 1080p? Oh my God --- gotta have that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

But it doesn't add anything to gameplay.

People who play in 1080i aren't going to say, "Oh my God! I can't play this stupid game! If only I didn't have this damned interlacing!"

...and they're really NOT coming down in price. Until you can get a 1080p TV for less than $500, no one's gonna care.

I mean, what's next? Pong at 1080p? Oh my God --- gotta have that!
    I think the only thing to say here is I'm sorry. I'm sorry you can't afford an HDTV. If you could, you'd be just as excited as those of us who own one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can afford an HDTV but am I willing to spend $2,000 for a 1080p capable one? Absolutely not. That's a complete ripoff.

In ten years, when everything will be in HD and 1080p will be the next standard, then I'lla dopt it but by then it won't probably be a 1/3 as much as it is now.

All I was saying is that just because a game is higher resolution and a slightly faster framerate doesn't mean it will play any better.

If it was a FPS, MAYBE resolution and a fast framerate would help. MAYBE...and that's only if you have no lag online in multiplayer...single player mode in a FPS would probably benefit, if the hit detection is very accurate on the game's end. BUT, in any other type of game, the jump from 1080i at 30fps to 1080p at 60fps means nuthin'...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmm...

Why would Pong at 1080P come after Ninja Gaiden Sigma?

Graphics drive game development. Gameplay drives sales. Developers must pursue both angles. It only makes sens for a game developer to make the most of the hardware that they are working with.

Anyone who owns a PS3, at it's price, should not be to put off by the price of a 1080p set. If you think $500 is a cap on a HDTV price you have yet to enter the 21st century, and I grant that you have plenty of company. People are slow to adopt new technology and cost combined with a little 'futureshock' is the reason.

The PS3 deserves 1080p, and a $600 console deserves a HDTV better than $500. Analog TV is dead. digital is here and it's more expensive.

People will throw a a few hundred dollars a month on a car that only gets a fraction of the use their TV does.

1080P sets will likely make ot to $500 eventually, but the rest of us will be talking about QuadHDTV and 2160p by then...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why would Pong at 1080P come after Ninja Gaiden Sigma?
    It's just an example to show how riduclous it is to say that visuals will add nothing to gameplay after a certain point. An exaggeration, nothing more...sheesh.

Graphics drive game development. Gameplay drives sales. Developers must pursue both angles. It only makes sens for a game developer to make the most of the hardware that they are working with.
    I'm not disagreeing with that. But just because a game is at 1080p at 60fps doesn't mean the game is going to PLAY any better. Also keep in mind that at that resolution every texture better be super hi-res also because what's the point of having hi-res visuals if you're using textures optimized for such a "low quality" like 1080i, right???

Anyone who owns a PS3, at it's price, should not be to put off by the price of a 1080p set.
    I could say the reverse also...and if that's the case and HDTV's are just flyin' off store shelves, how come all these big spenders aren't spending a bit extra to get a $500/$600 PS3? Like I said, many people HAVE the money to spend, but justifying spending what could be months worth of rent or a year of car payments or groceries on a television is something MOST people struggle with, unless they're super rich.

If you think $500 is a cap on a HDTV price you have yet to enter the 21st century, and I grant that you have plenty of company. People are slow to adopt new technology and cost combined with a little 'futureshock' is the reason.
    I am in the 21st century. I have 360 and the visuals are nice, yeah. I use S-Video to view my system on my CRT TV. Does S-Video do hi-res? Nope. But it does the best job possible on my "crappy" tv and honestly, I'm not playing my 360 any more or less because of the visuals. It's the games.

The PS3 deserves 1080p, and a $600 console deserves a HDTV better than $500. Analog TV is dead. digital is here and it's more expensive.
    If analog is dead RIGHT NOW, how come it'll be standard until 2009 when the government forces digital to be the norm??? Analog could be the standard for years to come and people wouldn't care except for the techie nerdy people.

I think it's pretty crappy though that in order to get "the most" out of a PS3 you not only have to spend half a grand on the damn system's "low end" model but you also have to invest in not just a $1,000 tv, but a $2,000 tv. And let's not forget the high-end Monster cables for $100+ and the surround sound system (that isn't "low end" either) for $400+.

I think that's why you see people shying away from the PS3 because Sony and people like you are saying, "If you want to play the system like it's meant to be played, pay out $3,000+"...and for what, Resistance?

People will throw a a few hundred dollars a month on a car that only gets a fraction of the use their TV does.
    Good point. I drive my car far less then I drive my television.

Last I checked, you also can't drive a PS3 to work or pick your kids up from school or be used as collateral or haul your crap around. But, I think you can make waffles with it.

So, again, what was your point???

1080P sets will likely make ot to $500 eventually, but the rest of us will be talking about QuadHDTV and 2160p by then...
    By the "rest of us" you mean idiots who think dumping thousands of dollars extra for a few more lines of pixels and nerdy bragging rights will make you any cooler or play better? Why not donate some of that QuadHDTV money you're going to throw away in two years or whatever to people who say, need to pay bills or rent or buy groceries...or, ya' know, live like NORMAL people.
    Last edited by ShenmueFan; 03-24-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Ok ShenmueFan is just being a complete cunt as always so don't take his posts too seriously.

Personally i'm damn impressed however i'm skeptical that the output will be true 1080p60. Most likely it will be 1080p at the frame buffer but only 1080p 30 on the TV. 1080p60 requires a ridiculous amount of bandwidth.

That being said it should look very smooth and given Ninja Gaiden's incredibly fast play speed this will be a benifit. Plus it will look nice.

Colour me impressed wiht both tecmo and the PS3.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ShenmueFan: What are you trying to accomplish here? Its ok that you dont agree that 1080p isnt any good, but if you dont have anything positive or constructive to say, please stay of out of this thread. Thanks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    ShenmueFan: What are you trying to accomplish here? Its ok that you dont agree that 1080p isnt any good, but if you dont have anything positive or constructive to say, please stay of out of this thread. Thanks.
    I originally stated that this "news" is not anything worth caring about since it only applies to a small fraction of a small fraction of people in the gaming world. I have a right to say news is garbage just as much as someone has to say it is wonderful. Just because I don't agree with this news in some "positive" way doesn't mean I can't speak my opinion on a PUBLIC messageboard.

Quote Originally Posted by njiska View Post
    Ok ShenmueFan is just being a complete cunt as always so don't take his posts too seriously.
    And njiska is using his great intellect in resorting to name calling (once again) because he can't possibly form a coherent thought or intelligent response in his noggin.

Personally i'm damn impressed however i'm skeptical that the output will be true 1080p60. Most likely it will be 1080p at the frame buffer but only 1080p 30 on the TV. 1080p60 requires a ridiculous amount of bandwidth.
    But the super powerful PS3 is capable of all things next-gen according to the folks on this thread, so don't worry njiska, you can sleep well tonight knowing that this amazing technical marvel known as a Playstation 3 will not ever, ever let you down.

That being said it should look very smooth and given Ninja Gaiden's incredibly fast play speed this will be a benifit. Plus it will look nice.
    So, what, are you saying that it doesn't look nice at anything other than 1080p @ 60fps? I'm just really, really confused on this whole 1080p crap debate. If the PS3 is only worth owning if you are using it at full 1080p, why even support other, inferior modes? Am I missing something here???

Colour me impressed wiht both tecmo and the PS3.
    Colour??? Oh, you must be British, Canadian or Australian...that explains a lot...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm confused...

From what I've read over the last few months...this game is essentially the same type of thing as the downloadable Tekken 5 HD (or whatever it's called). It's high res visuals on last gen character models, engine, etc? I'm not sure why a prettier version of a Xbox game is so exciting. Is this a new PS3 game or just a new coat of paint? IGN and Gamespot seem to indicate the latter. Are they going to charge $59.99 for this?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I originally stated that this "news" is not anything worth caring about since it only applies to a small fraction of a small fraction of people in the gaming world. I have a right to say news is garbage just as much as someone has to say it is wonderful. Just because I don't agree with this news in some "positive" way doesn't mean I can't speak my opinion on a PUBLIC messageboard.
    Who said that you werent allowed to say your opinon? No one say that you have to agree. Its your "who cares" attitude that sux. What do you mean with "news"? This is news, it was just announced by Tecmo.

I dont want to argue with you if 1080p is good or not, i just wanted to post some good news about PS3 for a change. Its been so much negative stuff about PS3 lately, about time with something postive. Thats why i want you to stay out of this thread if you cant contribute with something positive. You dont have to speak your opinion just because you can.

I just request thread lock if it contunies because this wasnt my intention of the thread.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what do you want to people to say Jajaja?

"Great! PS3 is awesome now because Tecmo says a port of an Xbox game is gonna be optimized for 1080p and 60fps visuals!"

Is that it? That's all you want? If that's the case, fine. I'm sure a few of the thread's readers will agree with you, especially ones who are total Sony fanboys or the Ninja Gaiden fans who want the best whatever for their game.

However, you have to realize that this is not a news website. If you don't want people to comment on a news story, whether it comes directly from a company as press release or some rewording on your part, then don't post it on a forum. Check out kotaku.com --- no matter what a news story is, there are people who say good AND bad about things about everything. But yet, kotaku.com continues to let every news story be commented on.

You can request a lock if you want but that's the equivalent of throwing a tantrum and saying "I'm taking my ball and bat home" because not everyone says what you want them to.

And I say "news" sarcastically because I don't see how adding minor updates to a game that's been out for a long time is even newsworthy. That would be page 10 news in a newspaper but you're acting as if this 1080p Ninja Gaiden announcement will bring a PS3 into every home. Chill out.

This is why trying to talk to hardcore Sony fans is futile - no matter what they say, no matter how ridiculous it sounds, the second you come up with a point that makes them come up with a REAL, GOOD answer WHY on their part they do things or whatever they get all pissy, start stating how superior their products are and basically how poor, stupid and unworthy anyone not giving them praise are. Then they cut you off and repeat the same crap soon after because apparently they don't learn their lessons.

So cut me off Jajaja...I don't care. It isn't going to stop me from saying when there's dumb news for the PS3, the 360, the Wii or whatever. Do I have to say something negative all the time, even if I think it? Of course not. But I think the sooner certain groups of gamers start thinking about WHY they think certain ways (which happens when disagreement of opinions occur), the sooner we can teach the industry people lessons by doing or not doing certain things.
    Last edited by ShenmueFan; 03-24-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan
    By the "rest of us" you mean idiots who think dumping thousands of dollars extra for a few more lines of pixels and nerdy bragging rights will make you any cooler or play better?
    Not true. I have a 19in LCD TV that can run 480p, 720p, and 1080i, as well as doubling as a computer monitor. It cost me $300 brand new. While it cannot run 1080p and thus cannot get the "full" benefit of the PS3, with a television of that size you could not see the difference unless you were inches away. I guarantee you that 720p or 1080i look fabulous, and I don't need anything more at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan
    Colour??? Oh, you must be British, Canadian or Australian...that explains a lot...
    I don't understand the hostility. Some ill-feelings harbored against 1080p?
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Yes, of course you are entitled to debate whatever you feel like. However, all conversations within each indvidual thread are intended to discuss the thread topic--and not to debate whether the thread should have been created or not.

I would personally like to discuss what was intended---Ninja Gaiden in full 1080p. If you don't have the set to enjoy it at this particular moment, that's fine. However, with that said...(and realize that I don't want to egg on the troll any further) I wanted to remind you that even though the vast majority of a "small fraction of people in the gaming world" don't have an HDTV---THIS particular board is incredibly unique.

We're mostly adults--many married--and collectors. We have discussions about modifying our NES and Atari systems to play in RGB with $250 XRGB converters. This is a COMMON discussion. In other words, we are a "small fraction of people in the gaming world." We are the TRUE HARDCORE. And, being the true hardcore small fraction of the gaming world--many of us...No--MOST of us..have HDTVs. Yes, 1080p HDTVs. And, some of us might want to discuss playing the greatest modern action game in 1080p.

Ok, with that out of the way let me reitterate a couple things for the doubters about Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Team Ninja has not only kept all the content from Ninja Gaiden Black (16 chapters) but added 4 chapters for Rachel. Every single texture has been redone from scratch for the game--and there are at least three new weapons. Ryu's costume has been totally redone as well. For many that felt they were Ninja Gaiden'd out you might want to avoid this. Is it a rerelease? Yes and no. It seems to me they're really aiming this at two groups of people: The Ninja Gaiden diehards and the new PS3 owners that were PS2 owners that never owned an Xbox.
    Last edited by agbulls; 03-24-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJoey23
    Originally Posted by ShenmueFan
    By the "rest of us" you mean idiots who think dumping thousands of dollars extra for a few more lines of pixels and nerdy bragging rights will make you any cooler or play better?
    Not true. I have a 19in LCD TV that can run 480p, 720p, and 1080i, as well as doubling as a computer monitor. It cost me $300 brand new. While it cannot run 1080p and thus cannot get the "full" benefit of the PS3, with a television of that size you could not see the difference unless you were inches away. I guarantee you that 720p or 1080i look fabulous, and I don't need anything more at this point.
    I never said 720p or 1080i didn't look good. They do. They look wonderful, especially if you have a name brand monitor that really is a quality piece of technology. But playing Gears of War in 720p vs. 1080i isn't going to radically change your gameplay experience the way it might ground from standard definition to even 720p. My point was that 1080p isn't a big enough leap from 1080i or 720p to get all excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJoey23
    Originally Posted by ShenmueFan
    I don't understand the hostility. Some ill-feelings harbored against 1080p?
    No, njiska is just a douche bag at times (oh no! I'm turning into HIM w/ name calling!) and my only explanation for it must be that he has some hatred for Americans or something...

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls
    and realize that I don't want to egg on the troll any further
    I love it. Every time I say something certain posters don't like, they call me a troll. Maybe I should start doing that. Agbulls, you're a troll!

We're mostly adults--many married--and collectors. We have discussions about modifying our NES and Atari systems to play in RGB with $250 XRGB converters. This is a COMMON discussion. In other words, we are a "small fraction of people in the gaming world." We are the TRUE HARDCORE.
    You're more hardcore than me because your married? Is there a checklist I need to refer to before I post regarding what hardcore topics I am allowed to post on? I'm so confused! Am I allowed to ask about hardcore gaming posting if I'm not a hardcore gaming poster yet? HELP!

And, being the true hardcore small fraction of the gaming world--many of us...No--MOST of us..have HDTVs.
    Do you have proof? Have you done a survey of every member on this site? Why would you ASSUME MOST people here, MANY of whom play older, classic games, even have the desire to get a NEXT-GEN HDTV set? Isn't more logical to assume that these collectors and middle aged, married adults spend less money on the newest TV technology than, say, posters on a Playstation 3 messageboard? Present proof please.

Yes, 1080p HDTVs.
    I guess everyone on Digital Press's forums must've been at that UK PS3 launch and grabbed a TV then...that's my only explanation for MOST people to have 1080p tvs. Are you even living in the real world? Do you KNOW how much a difference in cost there is between 1080p and 1080i HDTV's????

Finally...

However, all conversations within each indvidual thread are intended to discuss the thread topic--and not to debate whether the thread should have been created or not.
    Who says? If a thread is not worth ever creating in the first place because it is so limited in potential response or impact, why can't someone come by and say, "This thread is dumb. Why are you posting this?"

I guarantee you that if I started a thread and wrote, "I'm wearing socks right now" people would either ignore me or tell me that I'm stupid for saying something so stupid.

Geez!
    Last edited by ShenmueFan; 03-24-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I looked at the screenshots. Even though they are high resolution, the aren't that impressive. The high resolution just makes it easier to see the jaggies. For instance:

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/856/8...g_4416897.html

Look at the Ryu's arms. And the swords. And the cracks between the floorboards. It would take more than graphics to sell me this game, because it doesn't look that great.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them