Thread: Busted VB...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Busted VB...

I tried to play VB earlier only to find scrambled graphics. I have 2 others that behaves like that. > One of them came free already broken, the second one developed scrambled graphics after I dropped the set (only 1 foot drop on the carpet but damn VB seems more fragil than an egg!) and the third one must hav egotten old.

Took it apart to see if it was a loose cable or something. Sure enough it was the loose cable on the LED board but it's not via connector but rather it's permantly attached. Pressing the cable sagainst the board improved the video. Since the ribbon cable connecting the LED board to the main board is of a thin flexi sheet (like Atari 5200 controller or Intellivision controller) it's impossible to resolder the connection. The other end of the cable going to the mainboard is a push in connector and that's been ruled out as the problem.

Any idra? I could get another VB but then what would I do with 3 busted VBs? Is there even a source of replacement LED board with cables? I've taken the LED board out and the only number I can see are 5523 stamped on it. (probably date or quality check #)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if it's a contact thing with the flexible circuit board, you could consider abrading it a bit. I've repaired Intelly MPCB's by gently sanding (or rubbing with a fiberglass brush) the contact points (where they touch the controller cable metal bits) on the MPCB's.

It "may" improve the surface contact, and it sounds like you've got very little to lose.

Good Luck!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this is one of the most common problems I've found... Being the proud owner of 12 Virtual Boys, I've seen a few problems, although you seem to be having REALLY bad luck with them. I've had two do that, and if the cable is still attached but loose, I'd suggest taking a piece of electrical tape and just taping it back up against the board. That is still working for one of mine, the other one I had a project for everything but the displays, so I just pulled the displays and use them for testing.

BTW, if you want to see any pics, check out my site at Project:VB ( http://projectvb.vze.com ). I'll have to do a small how-to on repairing the display if the cable comes loose some time... I've seen quite a few people ask that (which I think is good, that means there ARE people willing to admit to owning a VB ).

Oh... And someone said that they had this problem and sent it into Nintendo and they fixed it for $30 if you'd rather do that, but you could probably get another system for $30 on ebay.

DogP