Thread: Digital 5200 Controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Digital 5200 Controller.

Well, the circuit design works. And constructing the paddle controller for Super Breakout was easy enough.

The problem was the fact that, unlike a normal controller, there is no such thing as "no value" with an analog controller. The 5200 has, in effect, 2 paddle controller; one for vertical, and one for horizontal. Moving the stick just turns them.

There was the problem. Any design of mine always had 2 out of the 3 values.

Then, I realized that a SPDT switch would work.

This doesn't have an on/off, but rather a choice of two circuit-paths. There is a constant going through it (the "center" or "neutral" value), and when extra resistance in the circuit is needed, a regular switch just adds a resistor in series. Easy enough.

However, when LESS resistance is needed, you activate the OTHER circuit path in the SPDT switch. This puts the normal resistance into a parallel circuit; doing this reduces the resistance.

Thus, all 3 needed values are accounted for.

All I have to do now is figure out how to properly modify a regular controller to take the 2 SPDT switches. And, I might as well add the extra fire buttons.

What you'd see is a regular 5200 controller, with two cables and a switch where the joystick used to be. One cable goes to the paddle, the other to the new joystick. The switch is to go between the paddle potentiometer (variable resistor) and the equivalent for the joystck; both cannot be connected at the same time. For one of my projects, it doesn't look too bad.

I'm also much closer to the CV slow-fire module. The first prototype does sort of cheat, but it does work. I'll probably go with it, because it is 100% safe for any CV.

Odd. I've had absolutely no luck with emulators (software), but quite a bit with hardware.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

You lost me after 'Digital 5200 Controller'. Sounds like a great project with the rotten controllers for the 5200. I have nearly complete (cart only) 5200 collection and spend almost no time with it because on am unwilling to pay ebay prices for a new controller. One of my controllers does work but I have to pop it open and use a pencil eraser to wipe it clean so that it will be responsive.

Good luck with the SPDT thing-a-ma-do.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I wish you the very best of luck! I can't think of a console that needs a controller upgrade worse than the 5200!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I have nearly complete (cart only) 5200 collection and spend almost no time with it because on am unwilling to pay ebay prices for a new controller.
    I have a 5200 that I don't play anymore because I'm down to my last working joystick and I'm too worried about it fracking up! I really need to check into those Uber rebuilt ones.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I wish you the very best of luck! I can't think of a console that needs a controller upgrade worse than the 5200!
    INTV.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with you Trebuken. I need a 5200 controller also. Maybe something good will come of this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I can personally vouch for the 5200 controller rebuild kits available from www.4jays.net. Your 5200 will thank you forever. I installed one of these on my own two years ago and the controller has worked flawlessly ever since that time. Gonna pick up a 2nd one come CGE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    INTV.

-Rob
    Well, as someone who grew up with the Inty controller, I don't think it's so bad. Until you play a game where you have to move and use the keypad to fire, and you find you can't do both at the same time. And the instructions suggest using one controller to move, and the other to fire using the keypad. And the controllers are on coils, so you need two hands to use one anyway, or it snaps out of your hand and hits the console. And then you die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How many Fire Buttons does the 5200 have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4 fire buttons but I'm not sure if they ever do more than 2 things.

y-bot

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    I can personally vouch for the 5200 controller rebuild kits available from www.4jays.net. Your 5200 will thank you forever. I installed one of these on my own two years ago and the controller has worked flawlessly ever since that time. Gonna pick up a 2nd one come CGE!

Thanks for the link.

This is what I have found though. Rebuilt 5200 controllers are fairly expensive and I have just not committed myself to buying one yet. I will eventually when I have more disposable income, but at the moment I can't talk myself into it...

The Vectrex multi-cart he's selling is actually more appealing, though priced even higher...
    Last edited by Trebuken; 04-03-2007 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by y-bot View Post
    4 fire buttons but I'm not sure if they ever do more than 2 things.

y-bot
    Thanks man..the reason I asked was, why can some one hack a Super NES Controller for the 5200 add the Number Keypad in the Middle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Thanks man..the reason I asked was, why can some one hack a Super NES Controller for the 5200 add the Number Keypad in the Middle
    It's over my head but the 5200 controller is analog and the SNES controller is digital. There are devices that convert other controllers to work on the 5200. Back in the 80's there was the Masterplay Interface and today there is the Redemtion 5200:

http://www.atariage.com/store/index....roducts_id=256

that allows you to use a Sega Genesis controller on the 5200.

y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's nearing completion, although I've had to modify the design- those 5200 controllers are easily the WORST I've ever had to work with; it takes nothing to break them.

Rather than use the SPDT switch, I decided on something else- to drill a hole where the bottom joystick switch is (I am dealing here with the vertical circuit), so when you pull down, the rod connected to the part that pushes down on the switch now pushes OPEN a homemade switch UNDERNEATH the circuit board. This cuts off one of the two 1,000,000 Ohm resistors (connected parallel, which yields a total of 500,000 Ohms- "neutral"), which brings the total up to 1,000,000 Ohms- this is what makes you go "down." This solves the "3 things to do" problem, using what I already have access to.

The final product will be a bit awkward looking- after all, I'm using stuff just lying around- but it does work so far. It is odd, playing Super Breakout with a paddle controller again.

Incidently, I've charted out what each wire in the controller does, as well as which hole in the end of the controller cord each wire is connected to, so ANY 15-pin cord can be used.