Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official 3DO Thread

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Official 3DO Thread

Att'n all moderators: please stick this to the top of the page for a while. Thanks.

I finally got one of my guiltiest pleasures back from Arizona... that big, beautiful flop we all know as the Panasonic 3DO. I bought this system for a paltry $25 back in 1998, and that included a handful of games ranging from the awesome (Super Street Fighter II Turbo! Whoo!) to the awful (Myst? Bleh, who needs that?!). It was great to turn the old girl back on and watch the creators of Crash Bandicoot make fools out of themselves and their friends in the silly Mortal Kombat derivitive Way of the Warrior.
    My 3DO will be even more fun once I manage to track down more games and a better controller. I think I know where to get the games, but which ones should I pick? Also, are there any 3DO controllers out there that border on acceptable, or even (dare I say it?) good? If you can think of some, rattle 'em off to me... I'd appreciate it.
    Finally, describe some experiences you've had with the 3DO game system. Good, bad, it doesn't matter what... just make sure they're entertaining. Thanks.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My most powerful memory of the 3DO- was seeing it run for the first time. It was running Road Rash, on a 51" large screen TV at the local game store. I had just migrated over to PC gaming (for DOOM) and this version of Road Rash sorely tempted me to buy another console. Then I saw the price tag.

That was the end of that.

I got mine 6 months ago at a pawn, complete with one game for $40CDN. Finding games for it in the wild around here is rare. Thank goodness for alternate channels, though that does not help my collection any.

I like the flops better in some ways. It makes for a cool oddball console, that fewer collector's have. I see a good future in rarity potential, but that will no doubt be evened out by the smaller number of collector's. The poor unwanted things are begging to be rescued when you see them in the pawns or thrifts. It was king of the hill for a couple months...
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm one of those game-before-the-system people, so I probably wouldn't bother with a 3DO unless I first had Lucienne's Quest. It's just about the only 3DO title that I'm interested in, aside from the import-only Blue Forest Story.

While I already have Super Street Fighter II Turbo (which I bought for a dollar at Wal-Mart), it's not enough motivation for me to hunt down a console. Still, I wouldn't mind trying out that 6-button controller that Capcom released.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was once in love with the 3DO - I have owned it 4 separate times now (3 front loaders, one "pop-top" version).

As far as controllers go - the Capcom 6 button controller is an absolute must for the Street Fighter Turbo game. There is also a mouse available, in case you change your mind about Myst.

The normal controller will usually suffice for most of the games.

Speaking of games, I would recommend the following (please keep in mind that I was always a big fan of the full motion video gimmick...):

(Not in any order)

Lucienne's Quest
    Road Rash
    Snow Job
    Need for Speed
    Night Trap
    FIFA Soccer
    Dragon's Lair
    Psychic Detective
    Return Fire
    Gex

Here is the TOP 20 list in the DP archives:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1568

Hope this helps,
    Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm....I've owned my Goldstar 3DO for 5 years now. The best controller that I've owned for it is the one that it came with. (I own several others, but I liked it better.)

I think the first time I saw one was when a Meijer store was first built in Muncie. I watched it playing a demo disk that included Wing Commander 3.

Since I bought one, I've played Slayer and Super Wing Commander to death (well, not really...the first and only CD for it that I have that doesn't work is Shockwave).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Star Control 2 is a masterpiece on 3do.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey 'neko! still have that secre fumin no toybox 3DO import? (i think it was you i gave it to, lol). anyway, imports are cool (but i'll always say that)- take a peek here for some stuff from my collection: www.classicgaming.com/japangaming

(yeah, there are a few typos, and we really need to update the page, but the webmastuh is boggled down with work and other craziness)...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

@geelw: methinks that /japangaming site needs to be ported over to the Digital Press site, don't you?

@neko: you want a funny story about 3DO? How's this for funny. I was working part time at EB when the game came out and I felt like the luckiest man alive when it was my privilege to get first dibs on one of the few systems that had come in on launch day. I gladly plunked down 7 bills, knowing that I was now the proud owner of the next generation of game consoles. The only console I would ever need again, forever.

Ah, I remember playing Crash 'n Burn for HOURS and HOURS. At first, because I wanted to. And then, later, because there were no other games to play. Sure, I dabbled with Shelly Duvall's It's a Bird's Life and the marvelous Fatty Bears games but somehow they didn't grab me. I'm sure it was the fault of the game designers, and not of the mighty 3DO hardware, which was capable of practcally anything, including, someday, telepathic communication and instant mnemonic teleportation.

Yes. Crash 'n Burn. I crashed, and I burned. Sometimes I would crash more than other times and then there were times when the burning really sucked me in. Just for kicks, I'd go days on end trying NOT to burn, and ONLY crash instead. Those were great times.

Months of this went by, or so it seemed. Sure, there were other games. Who could forget the 4-directional joypad version of Mad Dog McCree? Or the Sega Genesis-like graphics of Stellar 7 - with VOICES! The first game that made me forget about the crashing and burning for awhile was Way of the Warrior, which I still get a kick out of (haw haw). And of course, there were lots of great titles that hardly anyone even knows about. Like "Burning Discharge". Or was it "Burning Soldier"? Eh.

In retrospect, the system has not held up very well, in my opinion once the PlayStation began porting over the "great" 3DO games like Gex, Star Fighter, PO'ed, etc it took the wind out of my sails. The few exclusive 3DO titles that were worth a fuck are still fun to play but unfortunately the bottom line is it was the worst $699 I ever spent.

The end.

Let's talk about CD-i next!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"In retrospect, the system has not held up very well, in my opinion once the PlayStation began porting over the "great" 3DO games like Gex, Star Fighter, PO'ed, etc it took the wind out of my sails. The few exclusive 3DO titles that were worth a fuck are still fun to play but unfortunately the bottom line is it was the worst $699 I ever spent.

The end."

Urgh... so I'm guessing this isn't going to be stickied, is it? :/
    It may have been the worst $700 Joe ever spent, but I personally think my own $25 was well invested.

Geelw: Yep, I was the one you'd sent the Secre game to so many years ago. I think I even unlocked one of the FMV scenes after putting together a picture shoot the computer liked. Weird game. It's funny that this wasn't included in the goodie bag my aunt brought back from Arizona...

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question: Can an American 3DO run Japanese software? Do some imported 3DO games (like RPGs and digital comics) need a type of Kanji buffer RAM that's only in the Japanese systems?
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A pretty cool game for the 3DO was Guardian War. A controller I myself highly recommend is one made by Interact with Turbo buttons. I just traded my 3DO and games (plus the Interact controller) to Clint Thompson. Later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Member "KIDFENRIS". "Can an American 3DO run Japanese software?"

Answer of this is YES.
    Also Plays weakling AMERICAN game For superior Asian Player.
    Not change Letters to Japanese.
    Loss is to Yours!
    HAAAAAAAAAAI!
    Punch of Extra POWER!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aw, sheddup, CMTZ!
    ...anyway, is it true that you can play copied games on a 3DO? It may be my only chance to play some of the Japanese titles.

JR

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
    Member "KIDFENRIS". "Can an American 3DO run Japanese software?"

Answer of this is YES.
    Also Plays weakling AMERICAN game For superior Asian Player.
    Not change Letters to Japanese.
    Loss is to Yours!
    HAAAAAAAAAAI!
    sorry, wrong answer. there are a few games that will NOT under any circumstances run on a u.s. 3DO. twinkle knights is one- and i had a few other titles i scored in a big import buy that wouldn't run on my FZ-10. i ended up having to grab a sanyo 3DO from japan, and i ended selling off the stuff that wouldn't run (except for twinkle knights- you can never have too many card battle based fighting games with women who lose their clothes as you play, i always say)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@geelw

Is it possible that it was the fault of your FZ-10? I know there is a US game or two that won't run on an FZ-10, but will run on an FZ-1.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mmmmmmm. could be, but it's probably not a "fault"- more like a redesign thing, probably. i also tried the games on a FZ-1 that wasn't mine with the same non-result...

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recommend Icebreaker for the 3D0. I even e-mailed the designer and told him how much I loved that game.

I owned Yu Yu Hakusho for the 3D0, but never got a chance to play it. If I do try and hunt it down again, would it work on an American 3D0?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

The 3DO is a cool system in my book (granted I didn't one up until later for cheap). As an aside I did have a Used Jag at the time and felt like a dolt for buying Checkered Flag which sucked ass.

I guess I rate the 3DO higher than the jag, but probably because I didn't get burned on price.

My Highly recommended titles:
    Road Rash (other ports available though)
    Need For Speed (better than any of the PSOne versions IMHO since it feels most like driving a real car in traffic)
    Return Fire (other ports available though)
    Twisted and Zhadnost (both fun party gameshow games, get if you like you don't know jack, but would like more variety than straight trivia)
    Escape from Monster Manor (wolfenstien 3D clone that I like for some reason)
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I'm glad someone mentioned Star Control II. AWSOME GAME! This is the REASON I bought a used Panasonic FZ-10 (I think that's right, the front loading model) and that game last year. Now Toys for Bob are working on porting that 3DO version to the PC.

What else do I enjoy? Well, Deadalus Encounter is a nice game that looks MUCH better on the 3DO then the PC. Guadarian War and Lucinne's Quest are nice RPG's. Space Hulk is a fun game. Snow Job is a pretty good adventure game that acually uses FMV. The Horde was done by the same people who did SCII and it's a nice comical strategy game. Twisted is indeed, as someone said, a great party game. And finally Lost Eden is a good PC port adventure game with some WONDEFULL music!

I bought all of my stuff on EBay and the only game I had to pay more then $20 for was Star Control II. The system and the controller was only $50 and that included shipping. The system does have some nice games, but it's just a matter of how much you want to play them, and there is no emulator that I am aware off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Time to hoist this sucker back onto the forum tops!

I remember the system when it came out. A local game store just got in a batch of 3DO machines and had one on display right out in front. They had a sampler disc playing and my jaw dropped at what I saw. This system smoked my prized Sega CD setup, until I found out how much it was. But I got chances to play it for a few minutes when I stopped into the store to visit (as it was right next door to Sears, where I worked at the time). I got to play Star Control II, Demolition Man, Way of the Warrior (which has an interesting story: the manager of the store went to CES and talked to one of the developers and commented on the game's emblem. The developer stated that the logo was "a cross between a yin-yang and bloody sperm"), and AD&D Slayer. I was even wowed at the FMV capability when someone plopped a demo disc with an episode of Batman the Animated Series into it (anyone know what disc had that?). I was hoping that the MM2 (or was it M2?) would have come out as that may have given 3DO a leg up on the competition. Watching the video, seeing beautifully rendered images (back then) again made my jaw hit the floor.

It wasn't until 6 months ago that I picked one up on E-Bay. I was hankering to play Sewer Shark, but not the Genesis version. I never really played a 3DO extensively and was always interested. One of the better game investments I've made. Sewer Shark, sadly, isn't as good as the Sega CD version but I was rewarded with other great titles like The Horde, Need For Speed, Road Rash, Star Control II, Street Fighter II Turbo, Gex, Soccer Kid, and AD&D Slayer. I got my wife hooked on Twisted and we also get in a regular game of Family Feud.

Any collectors who haven't tried this system, jump on now as the prices are still good.