Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curse you, you high priced, awesome, old game!

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Curse you, you high priced, awesome, old game!

Don't you hate it when you finally stumble upon a game (or game series) that happens to be a gem in your eyes, either by accident (such as walking into a store which just so happens to be playing the game on a TV) or by hearing it through word-of-mouth?

Case in point ; About a year ago, I managed to buy "The Bard's Tale" for XBox through one of those clearance sales from Circuit City. I figured, "...hey, what's ten bucks? Let's see if this game is any good.", so I opened the game up and started playing. FAST FORWARD to about 5 hours later...... I was hooked! I loved the Gauntlet-style view, the simple, yet complex action the game offered as well as the whole 'dungeon crawler' feeling it gave me, which was very similar to another one of my favorite game franchises- "Diablo" and "Diablo II" by Blizzard Games.

So I asked myself, "I wonder if they ever made any other games like Diablo/The Bard's Tale (remake) for PS2 or XBox? Did some research and found out that The Bard's Tale was pretty much designed after and extremely loosely based on the "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II" game series. I was thrilled. So I tried to track down a copy of the first "BG: Dark Alliance" for the GCN, PS2 or XBox. The problem? Not only was it such an old game that almost nobody in my area carried it, but if they even had a used copy of it (no matter the platform), it commanded a high price. IIRC, it was anywhere from $29.99 - $34.99 for a used copy.

blasphemy! blasphemy to my wallet I tell you!

Anyway, I eventually managed to buy the original Dark Alliance for the PS2 in a $14.99 bundle pack which also included "The Matrix Online" and after playing it, it was well worth the $14.99 I paid for it. (I could care less for the Matrix game)

Now I'm stuck with another predicament - I want Dark Alliance II, preferably for XBox, since the game saves on the PS2 versions will presumably take up a ton of space on my memory cards, which I cannot spare. The main problem? Same as with me trying to track down a used copy of the original Dark Alliance - around $29.99 - $34.99 for a USED, but incomplete or scratched copy from the local game stores like EB/GS.

I will get my copy of "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II" for XBox, but I have to be patient, especially if I want to spend only about $20.00 total on it.

Has anyone else ever run into a similar situation such as I have?
    ©2008 Umbrella Corporation

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure. I've recently gotten into PC Engine CD titles, love digital comic games and George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" -- so the game "Dead of the Brain 1 and 2" sounds like it should be right up my alley. In fact I could buy one on eBay right now... if I had a spare $260, that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_4th_Survivor View Post
    Anyway, I eventually managed to buy the original Dark Alliance for the PS2 in a $14.99 bundle pack which also included "The Matrix Online" and after playing it, it was well worth the $14.99 I paid for it. (I could care less for the Matrix game)
    Are you talking about Matrix: Path or Neo or Enter the Matrix? Matrix Online was PC only, good sir. Also, the phrase is "I couldn't care less", because if you COULD care less then that means you're probably interested in it to some degree.

I'm stuck in kind of the same boat. I picked up Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II up for PS2 on the cheap before demand skyrocketed, but after playing X Men Legends for a few hours on PS2, I realized that I'd much rather play that sort of game on the Xbox (mainly because of loading/saving speed), so I tracked down an inexpensive copy of Dark Alliance II but I've been completely unable to find a decent copy of Dark Alliance I anywhere locally. Going to hit a few shops today just to double check, but I may be stuck hitting up the good ol' ebay.

..and Bard's Tale is yummy, you say? I picked it up a while back on the cheap (it was $7.50 but then I got 75% off of that....so yea, I bought both the Xbox and PS2 copies just in case one was better than the other) but haven't played it yet. About how long of a game is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like an interesting genre, this "digital comic game". Would you be referring to games like "Snatcher"? :P Damn. Anything over $100 is a lot to pay for a piece of game software.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like an interesting genre, this "digital comic game". Would you be referring to games like "Snatcher"? :P Damn. Anything over $100 is a lot to pay for a piece of game software.
    Yup. It's so expensive because it was basically the last PC Engine game released, and supplies were limited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Are you talking about Matrix: Path or Neo or Enter the Matrix? Matrix Online was PC only, good sir. Also, the phrase is "I couldn't care less", because if you COULD care less then that means you're probably interested in it to some degree.

I'm stuck in kind of the same boat. I picked up Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II up for PS2 on the cheap before demand skyrocketed, but after playing X Men Legends for a few hours on PS2, I realized that I'd much rather play that sort of game on the Xbox (mainly because of loading/saving speed), so I tracked down an inexpensive copy of Dark Alliance II but I've been completely unable to find a decent copy of Dark Alliance I anywhere locally. Going to hit a few shops today just to double check, but I may be stuck hitting up the good ol' ebay.

..and Bard's Tale is yummy, you say? I picked it up a while back on the cheap (it was $7.50 but then I got 75% off of that....so yea, I bought both the Xbox and PS2 copies just in case one was better than the other) but haven't played it yet. About how long of a game is it?
    Whoops, sorry about the confusion on the game title for the Matrix game. It's actually "Enter The Matrix" and both games in the bundle were the 'Greatest Hits' versions.

See? I got the title confused because I really could care less about the Matrix-related game. I primarily bought the $14.99 bundle specifically for Dark Alliance, since GS was selling used copies of BG-DA (greatest hits no less!) for $14.99 anyway, so I figured, 'all I want is to play this game, I'll see if they have it cheaper somewhere else. Luckily, the helpful GS employee mentioned that a 2 pack set (the aforementioned BG-DA/Matrix bundle) was available, so he called around and tracked down a set from another local store. That's how I eventually got my GH copy of BG-DA for PS2.

As for "The Bard's Tale", it's definitely along the lines of the whole BG-DA series. Same style of attacks, weapons and all. Of course, there are many variations, such as the ability to find 'spirits' to summon and aid you in your quest, but the overall experience is definitely similar to what you'll get from the Dark Alliance series. Not to mention that The Bard's Tale has some hilariously funny instances. Think of the game as an adventure/fantasy/comedy and you can get an idea of what to expect from The Bard's Tale remake. BTW, I would recommend that you play the first Dark Alliance BEFORE The Bard's Tale, just so you can have a laugh at the obvious references and overall parodies that were made to the original scenarios in BG-DA. (Not to spoil anything, but the 'rat' situation is a big reference. You'll see)

Overall, I clocked in about 16-18 hours of time for The Bard's Tale.
    Last edited by The_4th_Survivor; 04-01-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: addition of information

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gah!

I just found out that there are 2 more games that are very similar to Baldur's Gate and have even been compared to "Diablo"!

They are "Champions Of Norrath" and "Champions: Return To Arms", both for the PS2.

I initially ignored those game titles because I thought that they were just expansion packs of the Everquest series. Hell, I remember seeing some of those games at those clearance racks at my local Circuit City stores, for as little as $9.99. Damn. Damn. Damn.

If I would have known they were similar to the whole 'dungeon crawler' type of game genre a'la Diablo/Dark Alliance/etc., I would have bought them in a heartbeat.

*sighs*

Now I have to resort to used copies or hopefully cheap copies on Ebay.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I can attest that Champions of Norrath is a fantastic game. You should still be able to get it on the cheap, but I'm not so sure about the second one... it may start fetching a price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wait, those aren't expansions? I have champions of norrath, but never played it because I thought it was an online thing. well shoot, I'm going to have to play it now, because I love diablo and BG games. how cool would it be if they made diablo 2 into a playstation 2 game?

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed View Post
    Sure. I've recently gotten into PC Engine CD titles, love digital comic games and George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" -- so the game "Dead of the Brain 1 and 2" sounds like it should be right up my alley. In fact I could buy one on eBay right now... if I had a spare $260, that is.
    I have the game. They are both nice and interesting games but definitely not worth THAT much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    wait, those aren't expansions? I have champions of norrath, but never played it because I thought it was an online thing. well shoot, I'm going to have to play it now, because I love diablo and BG games. how cool would it be if they made diablo 2 into a playstation 2 game?
    If Blizzard were to make Diablo 3 multiplatform and not just for the PC, they will definitely have a mega-uber-juggernaut of a hit on their hands.

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to play Diablo 3 on the XBox 360 along with your buddies from the PC or PS2 version? That game would totally outsell all of the MMORPGs that are out there now, simply because it'll be such a big universe.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I love Bard's Tale, but found the humour's whats made it fantastic. Haven't picked up any of the other games made on the Norrath engine though.

As for stumbling into old expensive games. Back before I was collecting RPGs as opposed to just playing them, I ran into some screenshots for Valkyrie Profile. Fell in love with the game, hit ebay and about shit myself. Totally dejected I put the game on back burner and played something else. Sometime not to long after I was in GameStop and spotted a copy without a box for $32. Steep but I gladly paid it. Was able to score a free box later too.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Dark Alliance 2 has been fetching a higher price for about a year or so now. You can still come accross them occasionally at flea markets for $10, but in Gamestops and online stores, its usually $35-$60 depending on timing. I just sold an ex-rental beat up version of DA 2 with no manual on ebay for $32.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't you hate it when you finally stumble upon a game (or game series) that happens to be a gem in your eyes, either by accident (such as walking into a store which just so happens to be playing the game on a TV) or by hearing it through word-of-mouth?
    This is what happened to me w/ Shenmue. I knew a bit about the game in early '99 and then in my first year of college (2000) I didn't play anything, even my Dreamcast.The next summer (after Sega pulled the plug on the DC), I picked up Shenmue at Funcoland for $10 used. It was so amazing.

The same thing sorta happened w/ Majora's Mask. I wasn't that excited when I first saw it and avoided buying it / playing it for a long time after it came out....then BAM! the game knocks my socks off.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Dark Alliance 2 has been fetching a higher price for about a year or so now. You can still come accross them occasionally at flea markets for $10, but in Gamestops and online stores, its usually $35-$60 depending on timing. I just sold an ex-rental beat up version of DA 2 with no manual on ebay for $32.
    Yup, my local Gamestop has had a copy for months at $39. Last time I checked, about a week ago, it's still there.

My wife LOVES dungeon hack games. We've got both Baldur's Gate games as well as the two Norrath games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath, you may also want to try X-Men Legends I and II for the Xbox, GCN, and PS2. From what I've been told, they play just like the others, but in teams of 1-4 players, and of course sans the fantasy setting, but rather the superhero setting.

Personally, I haven't played either yet, but I picked them both up upon suggestion of a friend of mine and plan on getting into them soon.

Also try Untold Legends I and II, and Dungeon Siege for the PSP, as well as Untold Legends for the PS3. All of these didn't get as good reviews as the above mentioned games, but they are all in the same vein of games - hack 'n slash RPG.
    Last edited by esquire; 04-02-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Case in point ; About a year ago, I managed to buy "The Bard's Tale" for XBox through one of those clearance sales from Circuit City. I figured, "...hey, what's ten bucks? Let's see if this game is any good.", so I opened the game up and started playing. FAST FORWARD to about 5 hours later...... I was hooked! I loved the Gauntlet-style view, the simple, yet complex action the game offered as well as the whole 'dungeon crawler' feeling it gave me, which was very similar to another one of my favorite game franchises- "Diablo" and "Diablo II" by Blizzard Games.

So I asked myself, "I wonder if they ever made any other games like Diablo/The Bard's Tale (remake) for PS2 or XBox? Did some research and found out that The Bard's Tale was pretty much designed after and extremely loosely based on the "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II" game series. I was thrilled. So I tried to track down a copy of the first "BG: Dark Alliance" for the GCN, PS2 or XBox. The problem? Not only was it such an old game that almost nobody in my area carried it, but if they even had a used copy of it (no matter the platform), it commanded a high price. IIRC, it was anywhere from $29.99 - $34.99 for a used copy.

blasphemy! blasphemy to my wallet I tell you!

Now I'm stuck with another predicament - I want Dark Alliance II, preferably for XBox, since the game saves on the PS2 versions will presumably take up a ton of space on my memory cards, which I cannot spare. The main problem? Same as with me trying to track down a used copy of the original Dark Alliance - around $29.99 - $34.99 for a USED, but incomplete or scratched copy from the local game stores like EB/GS.

I will get my copy of "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II" for XBox, but I have to be patient, especially if I want to spend only about $20.00 total on it.

Has anyone else ever run into a similar situation such as I have?
    i had JUST gotten the two DA games and beaten them with a freind. they are sooooo much fun with a second player. in case you havent gotten it yet, DA2 is WORLDS better than 1. especially multiplayer. if you like these games i highly recommend Champions of Norrath for ps2. also great game.

DA2 also demands high price on xbox cause its backwards compatible on 360, although i dont recommend playing it there, although it looks much much better (what did they do to the graphics, they look amazing on the 360) there are serious slowdown problems that can get you killed over and over.

anyway, have fun, and if you find other games like this lemme know! i want 2 player games though. i just got Fallout: Brotherhood of steel for xbox, gonna tyr that out with a friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    If you like Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath, you may also want to try X-Men Legends I and II for the Xbox, GCN, and PS2. From what I've been told, they play just like the others, but in teams of 1-4 players, and of course sans the fantasy setting, but rather the superhero setting.
    X Men Legends is mind numbingly repetitive. Like, I know repetition goes with the territory in the dungeon hack genre, but XML really sets a new standard for just how ungodly repetitive a dungeon hack can be. Also, you can't play multiplayer off the bat, you have to wait until you start unlocking more characters. If you're planning on playing with a buddy, fire it up beforehand and play through the first chapter yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

It's weird, this trend of common games (even games released as Greatest Hits) skyrocketing or staying higher-than-usual in value has sort of affixed itself to the dungeon-crawlers. Diablo for ps1 used to be fairly hard-to-find for a decent price and even some of the mediocre dungeon crawlers (Dungeons & Dragons Heroes) are fetching prices well-above some of their contemporaries. I'd venture to guess that people getting into games late in a console's lifespan are looking for good co-op games that are easy to get into, but that's just a guess. If nothing else, it speaks very ill of the lack of good co-op games on the last few generations of consoles (a trend that, offline, is perpetuating itself yet again).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

You may want to try Gauntlet: Dark Legends if you haven't. The format is slightly different but it is a great game. Without checking I believe it still fetches a decent price as well...