Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curse you, you high priced, awesome, old game!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    wait, those aren't expansions? I have champions of norrath, but never played it because I thought it was an online thing. well shoot, I'm going to have to play it now, because I love diablo and BG games.
    Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms aren't online only expansion packs, like the PC version has had. They're both standalone action games, and incredibly fun to boot. They do have online modes, if you're interested in that sort of thing. I've had 'em both since they came out, and I remember we tried to set up some 2-4 player raids with some of the forum members, but I can't recall if we actually did.

Also intriguing is the fact that you can play through Norrath on easy, use the same character(leveled, stats, items, etc) to play through normal, and once again use them to play through hard difficulty. Then you can transfer that character over to Return to Arms and start there. Good times. You can actually exploit the hell out of Norrath's inventory system and amass a large sum of money, plus you can dupe items and trade them to friends or what have you. RtA killed that exploit dead. I've not explored the possibility of a similar exploit existing.

Norrath and Return to Arms were developed by Snowblind Studios. The reason you see a similarity between them and Baldur's Gate is because Snowblind did those, too. They also did the semi-recent Justice League Heroes game. Untold Legends (all 3 of them) were done by Sony Online, most likely with what they learned through the dev process of Norrath/RtA. As a result, they lack a bit of that 'polish', but are still fun games in their own right.

Personally, I'd love to have both Baldur's Gate games. I know Dark Alliance II has been a money commander ever since it came out. $40-$50 is reasonable, I think, provided it's in good shape. If you're digging these games at all, you're going to get your money's worth.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Personally, I'd love to have both Baldur's Gate games. I know Dark Alliance II has been a money commander ever since it came out. $40-$50 is reasonable, I think, provided it's in good shape. If you're digging these games at all, you're going to get your money's worth.
    I actually have Baldur's Gate for all 3 consoles (GCN, PS2, XBX) and played through all 3 each with a different character (I believe there are 3 character classes -fighter, mage, archer)

I also have Dark Allaince II for both the PS2 and XBX and played through each of them with a different class (I believe there is like 5-7 classes) and would love to play it again with a different class. So there is a strong replay bonus to the game, even if the quests are the same.

Champions Return to Arms had a neat little feature where after you completed each level, you unlocked a bonus level that featured various side quests each having a special requirement to it, sort of like a bonus level in Super Mario Bros./World. Some levels were timed, while others made it where you couldn't die or use a health potion. I never played through all of them, and this thread has got me to dig it back out and try to finish them all.

An added bonus to the BG and CoN series are the very attractive female characters which make Tecmo's Dead or Alive series blush. If I recall, Sony put out a "Babes of Norrath" Calendar after one of the releases, and released individual character themes/wallpaper for use on the PC.