Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do I still need to camp out for a shot at a Wii?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why do I still need to camp out for a shot at a Wii?

Seriously, the thing has been out going on 5 months and stores still can't get more than 10 or so a week?

Two weeks in a row I head out two hours before the one store graced with a handful of systems that week opens, and there's still 30-40 people lined up outside! I understand this on launch day, but this is crazy.

Too bad I don't want a PS3, they're all over the place...

I know this is just the way it goes, but does anyone know why Nintendo can't come close to meeting demand?
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is that if they add a bunch of extra capacity now, they'll be stuck with it when demand starts to level off to where they expect it to be long term.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gillian Seed's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed View Post
    The problem is that if they add a bunch of extra capacity now, they'll be stuck with it when demand starts to level off to where they expect it to be long term.
    Yeah I definitely think that Nintendo is trying to mind fcuk us into thinking that there's a higher demand for the Wii. I think a lot of that is because there isn't really a compelling reason for everyone to get a Wii yet. Personally I'm waiting till Mario Galaxy comes out to buy a Wii and I hope all this madness ends by then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

A rep from gamestop (not a register jockey) said he expected the Wii supply to increase dramatically after April, as thats when Nintendos fiscal year ends. They've met their goals thus far and want to stem further boons to the numbers to next years goals.

And the fake shortage still makes it in demand and it's somehow making Sony look "bad" for running with adequate supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist View Post
    And the fake shortage still makes it in demand and it's somehow making Sony look "bad" for running with adequate supply.
    What a twisted game! I wonder if this type of market strategy has ever been used before in the game industry. I can't recall another time personally. Either way, I think it's very crappy...but apparently it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the demand was more than they were expecting, and they still can't pump out more than 1 million units per month. Now when you distribute that many units to three regions, well that adds up to less than the amount of units they had at launch. But yeah, it is pretty rediculous that people are still camping out for it.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yhea, i kept telling myself "i'm not going to get a wii untill i can just casually walk into a store at 6 in the afternoon and just find one" well i started wanting one and i started checking stores, nothing, this was about a month ago and for the last month whenever i had an oppertunity i would check stores. all kind, walmart, ebgames, sams club, target, toys r us. it was the same thing over and over, no stock and sales people would tell me it sold out within a few hours if not minutes of getting it in. needless to say i got frusterated and i gave in. got a tip toys r us was getting a shipment in and ended up getting up early on a rare day i would of been able to sleep in. i got my wii but there was still a line of over 40 people there.

yes, haveing people camping out this long after launch for the thing is ridiculas.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo is creating false demand for the system in order to keep it on the news. It's a freakin' Gamecube for cryin' out loud. How hard can they be to manufacture!?!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    Nintendo is creating false demand for the system in order to keep it on the news. It's a freakin' Gamecube for cryin' out loud. How hard can they be to manufacture!?!
    Let's see if Nintendo doesn't get the systems they need out there they lose money to Sony and Microsoft. Yea, I can see how they are creating false demand.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After the last two systems maybe they didn't expect the demand they are experiencing? It makes no sense to 'create demand' this far after launch considering the market advantages with volume and the profitability. Manufacturing yield might also be a consideration.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chadt74 View Post
    After the last two systems maybe they didn't expect the demand they are experiencing? It makes no sense to 'create demand' this far after launch considering the market advantages with volume and the profitability. Manufacturing yield might also be a consideration.
    But what I don't get is WHAT is so hard to manufacture with the Wii? I mean, its not like it uses a blue-laser device or anything.

Are they having trouble printing the packaging? Is that's what's holding everything up? Nintendo's got a billion Wiis in a warehouse but hired a moron pimple-faced teenager, fresh out of college to run the printing presses?

I don't get it. Well, enought outta me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But what I don't get is WHAT is so hard to manufacture with the Wii? I mean, its not like it uses a blue-laser device or anything.
    I dont think it's hard at all. Just seems to me they just dissapear as fast as they come out.

I mean ask any retailer if they get more ps3's in than Wii's. Probably not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a freakin' Gamecube for cryin' out loud.
    It's so lame that people keep saying this but I suppose if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

According to the CEO of Gamestop/EB, Nintendo has intentionally been holding back units, therefore creating a "false" shortage. This made the news last week.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168172.html
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its wierd that they still push out so few consoles. I just check a huge online store here and their next shipment of Wii consoles isnt before 16th of May. Then they get 700 units (altho unconfirmed). So thats 1 and a half month of waiting. PS3 got sold out too, but they have already restocked like 100.

Its hard to say if Nintendo do this on purpose, but it is possible. Making them hard to get makes the console sort of exlucive, since its hard to get. Many might buy it "just" because of this. The Wii is already damn easy to mod so alot of people want to buy a Wii because of this too. It might also be possible that they are working on the new revision too and therefor not making too many of the first revision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"This is just my opinion. I think they intentionally dried up supply because they made their numbers for the year. Their new year starts April 1 and I think we're going to see supply flowing" Heybtbm that is what the Gamestop CEO said, please note that this is his opinion, not fact. The Nintendo rep said the same thing I said "they didn't know how big demand would be".

I've seen lots of things in a manufacturing environment screwed up, but again this is just a possibility that a number are not making it through Q&A or capacity could be limiting output.

FYI I am not a Nintendo fanboy, but delivering a high tech product to a worldwide audience is not as easy as everyone thinks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what's weird - about a month ago I was in a Sam's Club and I sh*t you not, they had a FULL palette of Wiis just sitting there at the entrance and they weren't in any funcky $300+ bundles. I assumed the Wii shortage was done at that point but apparently it was just a fluke because I haven't seen a Wii in any store anywhere, including Sam's, since.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    According to the CEO of Gamestop/EB, Nintendo has intentionally been holding back units, therefore creating a "false" shortage. This made the news last week.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168172.html
    This from the company that sells used games as new... yeah, I'll take their word over Nintendo's.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed View Post
    This from the company that sells used games as new... yeah, I'll take their word over Nintendo's.
    Yeah! What's up with that!?! I bought FFIII for the DS a few weeks ago "new" and they just took the box off the shelf and slipped the game in at the register. I asked if I could have a new copy and they insisted it was new, just not sealed.

I was in bizarro land apparently....which explains me walking on the ceiling, my 6-pack stomach and foot-long penis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wouldnt nintendo want to get their numbers even larger by the end of the year so they look even more impressive?i wouldnt understand them just saying ,"oh we sold enough lets take it easy now."