Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do I still need to camp out for a shot at a Wii?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Its hard to say if Nintendo do this on purpose, but it is possible. Making them hard to get makes the console sort of exlucive, since its hard to get. Many might buy it "just" because of this.
    I just don't believe this for a second. They make the real money on the software. If they don't put the hardware into people's homes they can't sell the software. As far as I'm concerned all three of sony, nintendo, and ms want to get as many units into as many homes as possible as quickly as possible. Like another poster said, a worldwide launch for something like this is not exactly easy. Talk about a logistical nightmare, in fact.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If any of you had to deal with Chinese companies manufacturing products, it's a nightmare. You can say what you will about "conspiracies" holding back products, but Bronty is right, they want to sell software. They want to keep 3rd partie publishers happy, don't start jumping on the Sony train just because the Wii is popular because it IS that popular. Every time I am in a game store, at LEAST 2 people come in asking for Wiis when I am visiting.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep in mind that Nintendo has stated that from day one they make a profit on every hardware unit sold. So where Sony & M$ MUST get as many units out tehre as quickly as possible to start making their money back, Nintendo can sit back fire years from now and say, "Oh, we only sold 5,000 consoles this week....STILL good news for us!"

I honestly think Nintendo is gonna keep this Wii shortage crap through this year and make a second Christmas of "Must Have Wii" craziness.

I bet they'll make it work too because nobody thinks the big N is sneaky.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    I just don't believe this for a second. They make the real money on the software. If they don't put the hardware into people's homes they can't sell the software. As far as I'm concerned all three of sony, nintendo, and ms want to get as many units into as many homes as possible as quickly as possible. Like another poster said, a worldwide launch for something like this is not exactly easy. Talk about a logistical nightmare, in fact.
    Of course every company want to sell as much as they can. What i ment was that maybe they do it like this people want it more when its "exlucive". If they dump like 10 million consoles at once people might think "i'll get it later, its so easy to get anyway", but when its short and they stumble across a console in the store and they say "i gotta get this, its not easy to get!", if you get my point. I'm not saying its like this, just throwing out ideas.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shenmue: They make $10-15 a console after all the costs, labor, and shipping. THat's not a lot of money at all. We all know it's in the software, it's just well known that Microsoft and SOny are losing money on each console being sold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are
    1,826 Gamestops
    742 Best Buys
    626 Circuit Cities
    3,331 Wal-Marts
    1,488 Targets

8,013 major retail outlets in the US

Currently the Wii has sold 1,860,000 units from launch to 3/31/07 (per NPD group) so assuming that inventories are consistent from launch to now that would mean they have manufactured 1.86M Wiis in 130 days or Big N can produce 14,300 Wiis per day or give 1.8 Wiis to each major retailer in the US every day (assuming the above were the only to receive Wiis) or about 55 per month. Now you want more, easy right...

If you want to put 20 Wiis in each of those outlets you'll need 160,260 units (or 5,255/per day). So you want Big N to increase their manufacturing output by 39%. And this assumes every extra unit goes to the US, and this will put a whole 20 extra units in each of the above stores each month.

In a month you have 732 hours (30.5 X 24) so you need to make 219 units per hour or about 3.5/min to put 20 extra Wiis in each major US retail outlet per month. Of course this assumes you run your factory 24/7 with 100% perfect production and your production line will need SOME downtime.

It appears that Nintendo just does not have the capacity to meet demand.
    Last edited by Chadt74; 04-02-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one word.... broadway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Chadt74 View Post
    Currently the Wii has sold 1,860,000 units from launch to 3/31/07 (per NPD group) so assuming that inventories are consistent from launch to now that would mean they have manufactured 1.86M Wiis in 130 days or Big N can produce 14,300 Wiis per day or give 1.8 Wiis to each major retailer in the US every day (assuming the above were the only to receive Wiis) or about 55 per month. Now you want more, easy right...
    The (main) problem with your logic is that it implies Nintendo started manufacturing Wii's on their launch date...which we all know they didn't. Wii's started production in early June of 2006. We can only guess how many they were able to produce between June and November.

Anyway...

I'm not a conspiracy type of guy at all. I don't think Nintendo is trying to purposely under-deliver Wii's to the US...but the CEO of Gamestop apparently is suspicious. Something tells me he knows a lot more about the details of this industry than anyone here at DP.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

demand is very high, and releasing a console in three regions at the same time has kept supply low. in the old days, a company could over the initial demand by releasing hardware in one region at a time.

and the gamEBstop exec is probably just pissed that they have to wait in line behind walmart, target and best buy. he also really wants to sell you a zune.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe any "false shortage" BS in an industry that makes its money selling software. instead of making people think, "I gotta sleep out and get this," I'd recon people are more likely to think, "That 360 ain't looking too bad."

The numbers posted about the number of Wiis that must be produced per hour make it sound like there's only ONE production line in the WORLD that can produce the thing. If I'm president of a company and there's enough demand for a product to warrant a 50% increase in production for a period of time, guess what I'm doing!

As it is, one of two things will happen. I'll find a Wii in my travels and buy it, or 6 months will pass with no systems on the shelves and no stellar games released (and what has there really been since launch?) and I'll be thankful that the Big N saved me $250.

EDIT: another thought. If I'm a game developer, why am I busting my ass to release one of those "stellar" games before there are more consoles hooked up to televisions?
    Last edited by davepesc; 04-03-2007 at 12:24 AM.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Nintendo was creating a "fake" drought, then why is the Wii killing the PS3 and Xbox 360 in the most recent NDP's?
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    I just check a huge online store here and their next shipment of Wii consoles isnt before 16th of May. Then they get 700 units (altho unconfirmed). So thats 1 and a half month of waiting.
    Checked the store again, now the date is set to 31th of May and the number of consoles are changed to 69. Damn.. nearly 2 months of waiting for 69 consoles. Wonder when Nintendo will get the quantity of Wiis up.

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's annoying to not be able to find a Wii still. I actually found one casually sitting in a shelf at walmart the other day...yet, I had to wait until I got my next paycheck, and obviously it was gone in three days when I came back

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote]This from the company that sells used games as new... yeah, I'll take their word over Nintendo's.[quote]

Amen Pal. I just thing the big N is struggling to meet demand.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    don't start jumping on the Sony train just because the Wii is popular
    Why the hell would I need someone to tell me this exactly?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats more tax money they would have to pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Might be killing the Ps3 but the 360 seems to be outselling them both.

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf View Post
    If Nintendo was creating a "fake" drought, then why is the Wii killing the PS3 and Xbox 360 in the most recent NDP's?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So, it looks like 5/1 is the new target date? According to this bundle from Gamestop that you can "preorder"

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?...%5Fid=B020070K

-GAC-
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lies!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    So, it looks like 5/1 is the new target date? According to this bundle from Gamestop that you can "preorder"

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?...%5Fid=B020070K

-GAC-

God I'm tired of overpriced bundles full of junk.

*still waiting...
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.