View Poll Results: I don't ship to Canada because...

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't want to have to drive to the post office.

4 3.54%
  • I don't trust Canadians, they have flapping heads and beady little eyes.

31 27.43%
  • Cost of shipping is too great.

19 16.81%
  • I don't want to have to fill out a customs form.

35 30.97%
  • I can't locate Canada on a map.

10 8.85%
  • I have been burned too many times by evil canucks.

14 12.39%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I don't ship to Canada

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I've shipped to Canada 3 or 4 times and never had any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any problems shipping to Canada (or anywhere else). As long as they buyer is paying for all shipping costs, I don't care where it goes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ship to Canada. As someone else said if you are shipping single games then letter post is just as cheap as first class mail. Also I have never been burned by a Canadian buyer while I have been burned several times by U.S. buyers.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't ship to Canada because:

1) It means I have to go to the post office. I normally do not have to go to the post office because most games I send out are under the 1 pound limit. I just weigh the thing at home and drop it in the mailbox on my way to the Metro. I can't go to the post office Monday-Friday - as the one near my house is only open 8am-5pm - and I am at work. So this means I have to go on a Saturday, shich is a pain and delays shipment.

2) I will not falsify customs forms. This is usually a deal killer. Many people expect me to BS the forms and report the game I just sold as a "gift" - which I won't do.

3) Canada post has a bad habit of taking forever to actually deliver the stuff - leading the buyer to get pissed thinking that I didn't send the thing out.

4) The added shipping costs usually make the game more expensive for the buyer.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blame the US post office. I can ship almost anything domestically via the automated system or just drop them in the box. International packages all have to be handed to a live clerk, which means standing in line. Average wait time during hours I can actually get there are 15-30 minutes and I value my time more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh gawd.. I feel another "Do you lie on custom's form?" poll coming on about now .

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey View Post
    I don't ship to Canada because:
    2) I will not falsify customs forms. This is usually a deal killer. Many people expect me to BS the forms and report the game I just sold as a "gift" - which I won't do.
    Ditto. This is the primary reason I don't ship internationally anymore.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I
    3) Canada post has a bad habit of taking forever to actually deliver the stuff - leading the buyer to get pissed thinking that I didn't send the thing out.
    I think customs may have something to do with the delay, no so much CP. I will send anywhere, I got burned about 2 years ago for almost $200 sending to the UK, paypal claim, I had no way to prove I sent. Still doesnt stop me, shit happens.

edit: for the record this was only time I sent something and the person didnt get it, or said they didnt get it. on upwards of 2000 items sent i would guess, 75% international as most are us buyers
    Last edited by tmlfan; 04-05-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I've found most shipping within Canada to be hella fast and efficient. I don't think the issue lies with Canada Post or US Mail, I think it's customs that fucks everyone over, really.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No problem shipping to Canada here. I usually just ask for the difference in shipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Nope. You need confirmation that the person recieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Has this Sent Confirmation ever stood up in a Paypal dispute?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Why do people want it that way? I'm assuming they have to pay taxes or fees on merchandise, but I've not encountered the situation.

Insert Coin (Level 0) skankinmack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you guys are all a bunch of location-ists

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    Blame the US post office. I can ship almost anything domestically via the automated system or just drop them in the box. International packages all have to be handed to a live clerk, which means standing in line. Average wait time during hours I can actually get there are 15-30 minutes and I value my time more than that.

Word Skippy!

I try to avoid going to a "real" Post Office at all costs. Every single time I venture into a real post office, there is a super long line. At least a half hour of waiting. I get paid $20 an hour, so I figure a half hour of my time is worth 10 snaps. Of course, nobody is going to want to add $10 to their shipping total, just because I have to wait in line. So why deal with it? I actually feel sorry for people that have to go to a real post office, and have no other option. I have two grocery stores within 5 minutes of me that offer all the normal shipping options of the post office, and charge the same exact price. They are "satellite" post office locations. The only downside, is that you can't ship internationally at them. So that means if a Canadian wants to buy something from me, I have to go to a "real" post office. If there was no line at the Post Office, I would do it, but there always is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

See, here we have postal outlets in our stores - you can ship internationally from any of them. It's one form to fill out to mail to the US, that's it.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    See, here we have postal outlets in our stores - you can ship internationally from any of them. It's one form to fill out to mail to the US, that's it.
    We (well, in the US ;P) have postal outlets too, but some like to add a fee to whatever you're mailing.

One store charges $2 extra for shipping anything from their office... x_x
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Ok, seriously.

I would like to know why all the bullshit over shipping to Canada from the USA. The price difference without tracking is like... negligible. If you want tracking, charge people the extra for it.

Why?
    I refuse to accept PayPal payments for anything that I cannot track. (I'll make an exception if the item is cheap and I'm in a gambling mood). The only real way that I can track a package shipped to Canada is by shipping via UPS which is just too expensive to be worth it. The only people who would bid on an item when I quote UPS international shipping are the people who don't pay attention to my shipping quotes and I really don't want to bother with them anyways.

However I have no problem shipping to Canada if you pay with cash. If i'm supposed to trust you and ship without tracking them you should be able to trust me and pay with cash.
    Last edited by Griking; 04-05-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally thank all of you that ship to Canadians. Just a warning, DO NOT use UPS to ship to Canada. Many Canadians don't know it but they find out soon ... ups charges giant, ridiculous brokerage fees. For example the last time ups shipped something to me, the value of the game was around $40 US (said so on the customs form to) and i was charged $40, on top of the $10 i paid to have the damn game shipped.

Also don't cheap out, go for airmail. It shouldn't be more then a few bucks over surface, and much faster.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    I try to avoid going to a "real" Post Office at all costs. Every single time I venture into a real post office, there is a super long line. At least a half hour of waiting. I get paid $20 an hour, so I figure a half hour of my time is worth 10 snaps. If there was no line at the Post Office, I would do it, but there always is.
    As you surely know, there are two reasons for that.

1. Having an extra clerk costs more money.

2. They know 99% of the people in line aren't going to leave, regardless of how long the wait might be. Just like a person can't walk out of the DMV on account of a long line if he/she is there because of a license, registration, etc. So they are able to get away with it.

Really, it is quite similar to most thrift stores, supermarkets or department stores. The only place that comes to mind with decent lines is a fast food establishment and that is because most places stress short lines to keep a person from going to a competitor across (or down) the street.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only had 1 problem shipping to canada, of course the guy said he didn't get it.. But I think he was BSing me anyway.. I dont have a real prob shipping to canadians...

Anybody know if you can print shipping labels via paypal to canada? I am assuming not