View Poll Results: I don't ship to Canada because...

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't want to have to drive to the post office.

4 3.54%
  • I don't trust Canadians, they have flapping heads and beady little eyes.

31 27.43%
  • Cost of shipping is too great.

19 16.81%
  • I don't want to have to fill out a customs form.

35 30.97%
  • I can't locate Canada on a map.

10 8.85%
  • I have been burned too many times by evil canucks.

14 12.39%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I don't ship to Canada

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only ship internationally to people I know.

Most people have metioned the reasons...Customs forms, unable to track, stupid people complaining about how long it took. I'll add one more though. Paypal charges an international fee plus an exchange rate fee(on top of whatever rate they want to exchange it at) You can say I should blame paypal, but I have to deal with paypal to complete my transactions in a timely manner.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no problem shipping to Canada.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I sure do ! ....some of my favorite customers lives in canada ! I even ship worldwide.

I don't like shipping to FRANCE! Cuz 2 buyers from France has lied about their packages .
    Last edited by dojosky; 04-06-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:18 PM.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't ship to Canada because that weird number/letter zipcode frightens and angers me.

Actually, shipping to Canada hasn't really been that big of a problem for me.

The UK however....

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no problem shipping to Canada or anywhere internationally here..if it's a large order, 75$ or more, I make the buyer pay for Express mail shipping which is trackable and insured, this protects the buyer, and the tracking number holds up in paypal disputes.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I ship to canada through the usps (edmonton, alberta) my customers have to pick it up from the airport (not convenient). The last time I shipped to them using UPS customs stopped the package and needed a series of paperwork (basically the same forms refilled out) and then they held it for a week and the whole process took forever and was a nightmare. People said they'd call me and didn't, was told to fax info to wrong #s, the agent didn't get the fax when I did get the right #, they didn't even know what forms they needed etc. etc.

Just a big pain and if they weren't a customer I wouldn't ship to them, which is why I generally don't ship to Canada.

Nate

ps - UPS isn't my primary shipper, DHL is, but they don't do ground to Canada, so another inconvenience for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh Dojosky.. lol Canadians aren't some form of disease, the way you said "some of the candaians are friendly and cool with me " is that supposed to be shocking or something? "OMG some of them are actually friendly!!, wow they are humans after all!"

DefualtGen, can i have your ebay username please, i don't want to ever have to move my ass to ship a game to some american like you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Ok, seriously.

I would like to know why all the bullshit over shipping to Canada from the USA. The price difference without tracking is like... negligible. If you want tracking, charge people the extra for it.

Why?
    Note: many vinyl record sellers I know have problems with Canada.

The Canadian PO is very finicky with addresses - even the slightest discrepancy in an address (eg '23 Smith Street 87654' as opposed to '23 Smith Road 87654') is alleged to result in non-delivery at which point the package is likely to get destroyed.

How this affects despatch prices, I don't know.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arfin View Post
    I personally thank all of you that ship to Canadians. Just a warning, DO NOT use UPS to ship to Canada. Many Canadians don't know it but they find out soon ... ups charges giant, ridiculous brokerage fees. For example the last time ups shipped something to me, the value of the game was around $40 US (said so on the customs form to) and i was charged $40, on top of the $10 i paid to have the damn game shipped.

Also don't cheap out, go for airmail. It shouldn't be more then a few bucks over surface, and much faster.
    Dont use UPS in general. They're useless IMHO

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Despite higher costs i've had no problems with Canadian members
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you guys feel is the best way to ship internationally (With tracking, but also a "decent" value that will stand up to Paypal)? Ive shipped internationally without any problems, but I hold my breath every time I do.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why can't you at least make exceptions based on feedback or something, don't just say no to all Canadians.

Shipping to the USA is probably just as dangerous anyways. You can prove you got the package to the guy, but not what is in the package.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't have a problem shipping to canada, but I hate shipping to florida. I have had far more problems with forida than all the other states and countries combined. I would rather ship to south america than florida. South america I never know if it is gonna get there, florida I know they will "say" they never got it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no problem shipping to Canada, but I don't accept Paypal payments. I only take money orders or cash.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Dave View Post
    I have no problem shipping to Canada, but I don't accept Paypal payments. I only take money orders or cash.
    That's the only way I'll do it. Then the buyer can't file a Paypal chargeback or whine that customs fees are too high and deny the package and expect me to resend it or any of that stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I don't have a problem shipping to canada, but I hate shipping to florida. I have had far more problems with forida than all the other states and countries combined. I would rather ship to south america than florida. South america I never know if it is gonna get there, florida I know they will "say" they never got it.
    That's because in Florida.. all of the mail-carriers deliver mail in their "Hoverounds".. they can be slow at times.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had quite a few problems with packages coming from the states. I have friends and family in the states that have had problems sending within the states. The USPS has gone downhill over the past few years. I blame ebay for all their mixups.

I don't mind waiting. I know things have to clear customs. Typically packages from the west coast are faster cause customs in Ontario is slow. Never had a problem with Canada Post or Canadian customs. All of the shipping problems I've ever had were on the US side of the border. Mostly packages that don't leave the post office for weeks or months at a time (yes with tracking).

The most recent was a PSP game that looked as if it missed the bin they toss packages into down there. It looked like it was under something dusty or kicked around the floor for a while. The tracking/post label was illegible. The package itself was filthy. Took 2 months to get here but the inside and game were clean. I know it never actually entered Canada because I have contacts in customs. I always know when a package enters the country.

The only thing I can say is, don't use USPS. Not even for shipments within the US. They lose too many letters and packages anymore. Their service has gone so far downhill it's unreal. Go brown, go fedex, just don't reply on your postal service.
    Webmaster, The Angelus Project - Tales series merch database
    http://members.shaw.ca/angelusproject
    FEEDBACK THREAD: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...light=Antimind

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Antimind View Post
    Go brown, go fedex, just don't reply on your postal service.
    Both UPS and FedEx use the USPS for shipping.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Both UPS and FedEx use the USPS for shipping.
    I find that VERY hard to believe. Can you offer up some proof of this? Just because a person in off the street can actually "mail" stuff via USPS from a "brown store", doesn't mean that's what they use themselves.

So there isn't a single brown UPS truck in Canada? Any Canadians here care to refute this claim? Ever had a guy driving a brown UPS truck in little brown shorts walk up to any of your doors and hand you something? I think so.

Sounds kind of silly.. especially since.. like I said.. I can ship a lot of "medium-weight" items to Canada via UPS a LOT cheaper than I can via USPS.

So I take my package to UPS and pay for ground shipping. They insure it and give me a NON-postal service tracking number. They then deliver it to the post office who then MAILS it to Canada.. who then goes back to the Canadian PO, picks it up.. and then puts it BACK into their system for delivery? All the while.. keeping track of it with their OWN proprietary tracking number? Uh-huh.

Is there a BS smiley?