Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yobo vs. FC Twin *Edit- System Reviewed!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yobo vs. FC Twin *Edit- System Reviewed!

*Edit- Review 4/11/07:

Hey folks! Received the FC Twin system today when the postal lady dropped it off as I was headed out to work. I ordered it from BRE Software through Amazon and it got here in 2 days...kudos on the shipping time from them.

Got out of work early, headed home and hooked the system up.

The first thing I did was pop in an original NES game-(Ghostbusters 2, Activision version)-and switched it on.

All I got was a red screen. No graphics or sound. I was starting to panic a bit.

So I took out the NES game and popped in Doom for SNES. The FC Twin played the SNES game on the first try. I turned it off and popped in Ghostbusters 2 again. This time it worked.

Being as it has been years since playing Ghostbusters 2, or any NES game for that matter...I was hooked for over an hour basking in my very own oldschool NES goodness.

I switched the NES game off and popped in Jurassic Park for the SNES. This time all I got was sound but no picture. I popped out the NES game and the SNES games then continued to play fine.

Anyone else experience this? If I have an NES game in the system I must pop it out to play an SNES game and,when I want to play an NES game I must pop out the SNES game.....what the helk?

Anyways.....as far as the picture and sound quality. Like I said...I know it's not 100% in the back of my head. But being so long since playing NES and SNES games...if u don't have the original systems...it does the job well. I believe worth the price tag.

But you do tend to notice that the picture on SNES games is a tad dark and muddy. But not enough to bash a system with a $50 price tag.

It may not do the job as well as the original systems. But does do what it is set out to do for the folks who just want to experience their old games again and who aren't "overly critical"...

The only complaint I do have is that the controller cords are a tad on the short side. Though this doesn't bother me too much as you do get two controllers with the system. But I can see how this could really irk some people.

That's all I can think of now. Peace!

Hello all-

I'm going to have some extra money this weekend and was wondering which one should I pick up- the Yobo system or the FC Twin (SNES Model 3)?

Yes, granted the FC Twin also plays SNES Games...and I know the quality isn't great. But as far as playing original NES games, which is the better bang for the buck? Or rather...

Are there any pros and cons comparing the two systems?

(Not interested in the Generation NEX).

Also- who exactly produces the FC Twin system? Some say it's Yobo- some don't. I first spotted them at Video Game Central.....but now they are everywhere.

I read on the Game Asylum website that the Yobo system IS licensed in some fashion by Nintendo.....is this true or just plain BS?

And- last but not least. Besides the FC Twin are there any other "clone" systems out there that also play SNES games? If so.....where can I find them and do any of them produce SNES quality better than the FC Twin?

Thanks ever so much- Guys. Ryan
    Last edited by RyanLec84; 04-11-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: System Review

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLec84 View Post
    Hello all-

I'm going to have some extra money this weekend and was wondering which one should I pick up- the Yobo system or the FC Twin (SNES Model 3)?

Yes, granted the FC Twin also plays SNES Games...and I know the quality isn't great. But as far as playing original NES games, which is the better bang for the buck? Or rather...

Also- who exactly produces the FC Twin system? Some say it's Yobo- some don't. I first spotted them at Video Game Central.....but now they are everywhere.

I read on the Game Asylum website that the Yobo system IS licensed in some fashion by Nintendo.....is this true or just plain BS?

And- last but not least. Besides the FC Twin are there any other "clone" systems out there that also play SNES games? If so.....where can I find them and do any of them produce SNES quality better than the FC Twin?

From what I understand, neither the regular Yobo or the FC Twin play certain games like Castlevania 3. So any comparisons when it comes to the NES side of things would be minor. I'd assume they are about the same in quality, if you are looking to play NES games. You may as well just buy the console that plays Super NES games, too. However, I think the regular Yobo sells for quite a bit less than the FC Twin (I always see it for $50-60) so you could opt to stick with that. I don't buy that type of stuff regularly so maybe you should wait for a few more replies to come in, to be honest.

The only one I have ever used is the Generation NEX and considering I never liked Castlevania 3, it has served me fairly well for the most part.
    Last edited by bangtango; 04-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my experience, most of those NES/Famicom clones all use the same Nes On a Chip. The only difference will most likely be the controllers included in the systems. You can find a NES clone for around $15 these days.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Yobo Neo Fami and I really wish I would have waited for the "American" version so I could use my NES controllers on it.

The included controllers aren't all that great.....too bad there isn't a controller converter of some kind for that thing.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, the FC Twin is not considered a model 3 SNES since it wasn't manufactured by Nintendo.

I don't own either console myself, but here's what I've heard around the net: any NES games that didn't work on the Yobo won't work on the FC Twin. As for the SNES side, I've heard Starfox doesn't work and Super Mario RPG has issues. In fact, I don't think any Super FX games will work with it, but I'm not exactly sure on that.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello all-

I'm going to be honest with you man, for the price these consoles go you can easily just get a NES with a new 72 pin and then disable the lockout chip and you won't run into any compatibility or picture and sound quality issues. Seriously, if you're hanging out on these boards I would assume you're not the actual target for these consoles. these consoles are as far as I can tell intended for the person going through a store and seeing it and buying so they can play their old games again, not a collector.

As for it being licensed, hell no. Not even close. But the consoles both use the same NES on a chip so the compatibility is the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    First off, the FC Twin is not considered a model 3 SNES since it wasn't manufactured by Nintendo.

I don't own either console myself, but here's what I've heard around the net: any NES games that didn't work on the Yobo won't work on the FC Twin. As for the SNES side, I've heard Starfox doesn't work and Super Mario RPG has issues. In fact, I don't think any Super FX games will work with it, but I'm not exactly sure on that.
    I just refered to it as an SNES Model 3 because that's what Video Game Central was/is calling the FC Twin when I first saw it there back in November. Though I do realize it's not in any way licensed by Nintendo.

I did some searching on the net on the performance of the FC Twin and found a site with a video comparing an original SNES and the FC Twin. One of the games that was used was Starfox...so it does work. But man did it look god awful compared to a real SNES.

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    I'm going to be honest with you man, for the price these consoles go you can easily just get a NES with a new 72 pin and then disable the lockout chip and you won't run into any compatibility or picture and sound quality issues. Seriously, if you're hanging out on these boards I would assume you're not the actual target for these consoles. these consoles are as far as I can tell intended for the person going through a store and seeing it and buying so they can play their old games again, not a collector.

As for it being licensed, hell no. Not even close. But the consoles both use the same NES on a chip so the compatibility is the same.
    I realy am considering buying refurbished NES and SNES systems. But the only place I have found is Nintendo Repair Shop and they want over $85+ for an original NES with the new 72 pin and $90 for an SNES.

Would you know of any place cheaper? I'm also iffy on the refurbished NES systems with the new pin connectors because I have seen some reviews that after the new pin connectors were installed, the NES worked great for a little while then the "blinkies" started again.
    Last edited by RyanLec84; 04-06-2007 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How well do SNES games run on the FC Twin? The hardware is cool and I'd pick one up if they ran properly. Can you use real SNES controllers?

As for the Generation NEX console, I dig it. I have one and a pair of wireless controllers. The D-pads suck, wish there was a mod out there to alter em.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

""Would you know of any place cheaper? I'm also iffy on the refurbished NES systems with the new pin connectors because I have seen some reviews that after the new pin connectors were installed, the NES worked great for a little while then the "blinkies" started again.""

OSG refurbs submitted NES's and repairs SNES's with free estimates prior. We do not use third party NES connectors. However, our sell prices are around the same price as Nintendo repair shop.

Having a business, warranty, and mantaining a rep costs money.

The holy grail for all things..cheap AND reliable. The best way to manage that is to DIY, and be good at DIYing. It can be done. =) All depends on what your time is worth. You pay one way or another.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it true that not only can the FC Twin cannot play CastleVania 3, but it can't play Dragon Warrior 2 and the SNES version of SF Alpha 2 as well?
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I realy am considering buying refurbished NES and SNES systems. But the only place I have found is Nintendo Repair Shop and they want over $85+ for an original NES with the new 72 pin and $90 for an SNES.

Would you know of any place cheaper? I'm also iffy on the refurbished NES systems with the new pin connectors because I have seen some reviews that after the new pin connectors were installed, the NES worked great for a little while then the "blinkies" started again.
    Why not just buy a top-loading NES? Sure, it has some flaws but at least the games play every time out without all of the hassle. Depending on where you get one, the price shouldn't be any worse than a "refurbished" NES you'll pick up from an online store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a top loader that I bought new when they came out and I have switched recently to a toaster with the pins bent back into place and the lock out chip cut. Personally, I think its a better choice. Its cheaper, has better picture quality and is just as reliable as a top loader. I've done it a half a dozen toasters now, I do it to every one I get my hands on now. PM sent for an extra I have!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark0673 View Post
    I have a top loader that I bought new when they came out and I have switched recently to a toaster with the pins bent back into place and the lock out chip cut. Personally, I think its a better choice. Its cheaper, has better picture quality and is just as reliable as a top loader. I've done it a half a dozen toasters now, I do it to every one I get my hands on now. PM sent for an extra I have!
    To each his own, I'll take NES gaming any way I can get it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon View Post
    ""Would you know of any place cheaper? I'm also iffy on the refurbished NES systems with the new pin connectors because I have seen some reviews that after the new pin connectors were installed, the NES worked great for a little while then the "blinkies" started again.""

OSG refurbs submitted NES's and repairs SNES's with free estimates prior. We do not use third party NES connectors. However, our sell prices are around the same price as Nintendo repair shop.

Having a business, warranty, and mantaining a rep costs money.

The holy grail for all things..cheap AND reliable. The best way to manage that is to DIY, and be good at DIYing. It can be done. =) All depends on what your time is worth. You pay one way or another.
    omnedon- Are u Steve from OSG? If so- I recently sent back the defective SNES last week. I'll head on over to the OSG site to see what you guys have.

I would love to learn how to repair old systems. Not just the NES but I have a bunch of Genesis Model 2's and 3's sitting here just begging me. But I would need someone to kinda "granfather" me along.

Are there any repair manuals or the such out there for old school systems?

Ryan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, ask around. You'll find an NES. Make sure it powers on. It'll probably blink. Get a new pin, or send it to osg to replace it with an official pin. Besides his fee for that, you'll basically have a free NES. I have 2 toaster NES's, one with a new nintendo pin and one with a new third party pin.

both work fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

for the casual gamer on the cheap that arent tech savy, go with the FC twin. Anyone else, I would just recommend:

1. Original Nes with gold 72 pin replacement(best picture)
    2. Original Snes model(takes s-video cables)
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slightly off topic:

I have 2 NES toaster consoles - one with the lockout intact and the one with the lockout cut. The latter only plays Super Mario Bros. 3 in its current state. How reliable are the connectors found on ebay, or do you all recommend OSG?

My SNES works fine.

P.S. Toploaders are INSANE here. So that's not an option.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I went ahead and ordered the FC Twin last night for sh!t$ and giggles. I will post my own personal review for you all when she gets here.

Still going to purchase a toaster with a new pin connector when I have more money...most likely next week. Nothing beats having the real thing.

mrmark0673- Got your PM...will contact u within the coming week...thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I went ahead and ordered the FC Twin last night for sh!t$ and giggles. I will post my own personal review for you all when she gets here.

Still going to purchase a toaster with a new pin connector when I have more money...most likely next week. Nothing beats having the real thing.

mrmark0673- Got your PM...will contact u within the coming week...thanks!
    ask around friends and family. Just about everyone at one ponit had an old nintendo.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    ask around friends and family. Just about everyone at one ponit had an old nintendo.
    The FamiTwin is a nice unit for what it tries to accomplish.

The video on the Snes side is not as good as the Snes . The colors are slightly muted and it is a little blurry when compared side by side to the Snes.

Here's a pic I did a while back :