Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New world record for Super Mario Bros!

Insert Coin (Level 0) miserere01's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New world record for Super Mario Bros!

So last night the newest world record for Super Mario Bros we all know and love was finally confirmed legitimate. The time achieved being FIVE MINUTES FLAT by Andrew Gardikis. Andrew has achieved a time that is literally ONE SECOND from becoming the perfect achievable human time without computer aid, which that time is 4:59.

Link to the page in general:
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario1.html

Flash embed:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/flash.pl?Mario1_500

A big congratulations from me to Andrew!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

That's incredible. I watched children try and play mario advance (mario 2) on a display gba, and they were unable to play through the first stage without falling in a pit. There will never be another breed of gamers as awesome at platformers born ever again, since they will be too good at aiming a virtual crosshair or micromanaging 1000 troops while drinking red bulls and masturbating.

Good job and AWESOME video

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn thats fast! He did stumble some places tho, like at the flagpole at 8-2 and to go down the 2 barrels (at 1 he might had to wait for the plant to go down) on level 8-4. He could have made 4:59 without these mistakes. Wont you save alittle time on getting lower on the flag pole also? Then he doesnt have to slide all the way down. This would save 1-2 extra second totaly too i would guess. So he could do it faster But still, this is amazing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Damn thats fast! He did stumble some places tho, like at the flagpole at 8-2 and to go down the 2 barrels (at 1 he might had to wait for the plant to go down) on level 8-4. He could have made 4:59 without these mistakes. Wont you save alittle time on getting lower on the flag pole also? Then he doesnt have to slide all the way down. This would save 1-2 extra second totaly too i would guess. So he could do it faster But still, this is amazing.
    about the flagpole, he was most likely avoiding getting the fireworks (you get em at 1 3 6 on your timer)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Dude, you can access the World 4-2 warp thru a pipe? I always thought you could only reach it via beanstalk?!

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, that's a glitch that has been documented in some places. See http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb_bugs.shtml .

EDIT: Here's the one I was thinking of.
    http://tasvideos.org/SuperMarioBrosTricks.html

This also explains the little overshoot in 8-4.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-15-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    about the flagpole, he was most likely avoiding getting the fireworks (you get em at 1 3 6 on your timer)
    Ye, that might explain the small delay at world 8-1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mari-Ownage!
    Gimmie a game, I'll either love it, or pimp-smack it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's fake.

There's NO WAY someone can time all those jumps perfectly in real-life w/o messing up once. If you need proof that it's just a computer-aided time run, look at how he avoids the plants that come out of the warp pipes. He literally is like 1 pixel away from all of them. And jumping THROUGH all the hammers Bowser throws?

Whatabunch of crap.

Watch that video of the Mario hack that was posted a few days ago - that's a REAL person playing a Mario game - not this waste of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    That's fake.

There's NO WAY someone can time all those jumps perfectly in real-life w/o messing up once. If you need proof that it's just a computer-aided time run, look at how he avoids the plants that come out of the warp pipes. He literally is like 1 pixel away from all of them. And jumping THROUGH all the hammers Bowser throws?

Whatabunch of crap.
    I think it is very real. It is possible for somebody to time all those jumps perfectly without messing up once through practice, and a lot of trials on film.
    I have a copy of myself running through the game in 5:25, and I made a major mistake that cost me about 10 seconds and now that I know about the 4-2 warp pipe (instead of the beanstock), I could do it a lot better.
    It REALLY does take a lot of time to get it perfect, though. You need to understand that. It took me about 50 times (after a month of practicing) before I could get my 5:25 on film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didnt have a problem with the closeness when he misses the plants, but I swear I see those hammers thrown by Bowser hitting him and he doesn't die? Looks kinda fishy to me. I dont know. Definately better than I could ever do.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He jupmed right through about 4 of Koopa's hammers. I call BS.
    eBay Feedback / eBay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The jumping-through-hammers is also a well-documented glitch. From my second link:
    How it's done: The game does a very poor job of detecting collisions with hammers, so sometimes you can go through a hammer without getting hit, and sometimes you can completely miss a hammer and still get hit.

When you reach Bowser in 8-4 or some other castle, even if it looks like there's no gap in the stream of hammers, it's still likely that you'll be able to get through without taking a hit.

It is obviously easier if you're small or ducking.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. I love watching this stuff. I hadn't known about the 4-2 warp glitch.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

That's fake.

Whatabunch of crap.

Watch that video of the Mario hack that was posted a few days ago - that's a REAL person playing a Mario game - not this waste of time.
    Its called practice. You think he just all of the sudden had an incredible day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Man thats amazing I wish I was able to finish it once.

Insert Coin (Level 0) miserere01's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's fake.

Whatabunch of crap.

Heh, sorry but no, I've been a part of the SDA speedrunning community for some time now, and radix, M. Uyama, and nate all do their part in the process of certifying a runs' authenticity. The 32 minute Super Metroid run was examined for MONTHS before being deemed real. No one could BELIEVE a time like that for Super Metroid, and it's considered by quite a few in the community as one of the best speedruns currently registered. I've been practicing for weeks and have only acheived a time of 38 minutes myself. The administration team goes to VERY great lengths to assure truth and we all keep a close eye on every glitch that comes out of the TAS runs at nesvideos. Also, that piranha plant jump is horribly easy...I could make a quick video of myself doing it right now if you like. Have you ever tried speedrunning a game before making a claim like this?

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    That's incredible. I watched children try and play mario advance (mario 2) on a display gba, and they were unable to play through the first stage without falling in a pit. There will never be another breed of gamers as awesome at platformers born ever again, since they will be too good at aiming a virtual crosshair or micromanaging 1000 troops while drinking red bulls and masturbating.

Good job and AWESOME video
    Best laugh I had all day, haha.
    Last edited by miserere01; 04-15-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Wow, quite impressive if I may say

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not much of a cynic so I'm going to assume innocence until proven guilty. I'm not that good at Mario games but even I can consistently do the plant jumps. Anyway, congrats to the runner.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't saying someone couldn't get really good and fast by a lot of practice, but c'mon, if a person put THAT much work (months of training, hundreds of run throughs) wouldn't you think he/she would at least provide other proof that it's legit.

Obviously, it's pretty tough today because video editing and emulation makes stuff like this fairly easy to pull off but if there was an over the shoulder cameraman taping this dude playing on a regular TV and showing him as he makes all the jumps and crap, I might actually believe it.

Unfortunately, in this case, there's more to question than to believe.