Thread: Original GameBoy Repair

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Original GameBoy Repair

Hello all-

Yesterday I headed to a local flea maket and found an original GameBoy in great shape, minus a few dirty spots for $10.

I got it home and popped in four fresh AA batteries. I tried my clean game catridges...the GameBoy swicthes on just fine and the screen works great. My problem is that when I do I switch it on the first "Nintendo" logo that comes from the top of the screen to the middle before any game is "garrbeled"...is the best why I can describe it. The logo comes to the center of the screen,makes it's normal ping sound and then it just sits there,the game wont play/continue.

Now, I looked down into the catridge slot and all the pins are staright and clean.

Any suggestions? If I have to get this baby repaired,anyone know of any great places to get an original GameBoy repaired? Thanks! :-)

Ryan

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLec84 View Post
    Hello all-

Yesterday I headed to a local flea maket and found an original GameBoy in great shape, minus a few dirty spots for $10.

I got it home and popped in four fresh AA batteries. I tried my clean game catridges...the GameBoy swicthes on just fine and the screen works great. My problem is that when I do I switch it on the first "Nintendo" logo that comes from the top of the screen to the middle before any game is "garrbeled"...is the best why I can describe it. The logo comes to the center of the screen,makes it's normal ping sound and then it just sits there,the game wont play/continue.

Now, I looked down into the catridge slot and all the pins are staright and clean.

Any suggestions? If I have to get this baby repaired,anyone know of any great places to get an original GameBoy repaired? Thanks! :-)

Ryan
    Most often that is caused by bad contact between the cart and the Game Boy. I'd clean the pins even if they do look clean. If that ain't it, yer outta luck. Fixing would cost more than a new one. Keep it around for parts, particularly the screen if it's nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

You can also try taking it apart and cleaning it.

Worst case, you get to have fun. My gameboy is actually 4 different gameboys I put together years ago since I kept dropping the stupid things and I had a ton of them when I was a kid (long story)

Frankenboy!

Seriously, it's not a complex thing to take apart.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's nearly always caused by bad contacts. If the game actually starts (get's past the Nintendo logo) and certain lines on the screen are actually out, that's another probelm altogether. But, when you get the garbled logo and no lines are out, then the contacts are dirty, almost every time. A rare case would be that the pins are bent enough from use that they don't make contact any more, but that's doubtful. Clean the game contacts too. Console contacts sometimes look clean, but aren't until you can really get at them and clean them. I reccomend taking it apart and using an old toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:12 PM.