Thread: Best version of PS2 for my needs?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best version of PS2 for my needs?

i have a feeling theres already a post for this but i searched a few times and didn't see anything so i'm gonna ask.

I need a new PS2 for the purpose of modding. mainly i want to be able to run JP/EU and US games on it. not really concerned to much with playing dvd's or backup as much as i am region compatability. after some searching it seems the ver. 7 old model is the best for this. i also kind of like the look of the old versions as opposed to the newer slim models but i was wondering if anyone had advice on this. anouther reason i like the old model is the fan and better cooling. also can anyone confirm the slim model has slightly to marginal better graphics? i heard this rumored but not confirmed

i want to keep costs low (no cables, just unit if nessiccary) and i also read a ver.7 may be pricy or hard to find so if another version isn't all that better and is alot cheaper that would be a big consideration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as your hardware is in good shape and you are using a good chip, it doesn't really matter what version PS2 you are using for a mod. I had started out with a v8 (or v9...can't remember which), and upgraded to a slim v12 PStwo with laser fix. Both had DMS4 Pro chips professionally installed in them. Never had any problems with either and they both handled the same performance wise. I like this v12 PStwo I'm using now more though just because it's a lot smaller and quieter than the v8.

Playing PAL games on a modded NTSC system is kinda strange though. My PStwo plays every PAL game I've tried on it but sometimes the aspect ration is screwy. Like the picture will be zoomed in 25% sometimes. Not like this for all PAL games though, just a few but I think all modded NTSC PS2's have this problem when playing certain PAL games.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

if you can locate one sounds like PS2TEST is what you need.
    It's the testing PS2 machine the developers used that has no DVD playability and also lacks the region as well as media checking...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've got a V9 (the first prog scan unit) set up with HDLoader and have no troubles. I have numerous Japanese games running on it.

I dunno if you'd wanna go that route since you mentioned modding, but I thought I'd throw that out there for you.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A bit off topic, but anyone know a good place to send a PS2 to have a chip installed. I was just going to install it myself, but after looking at the diagrams, I would feel much more comfortable paying someone to solder it in. I already have the chip (DSM4 Pro), just need to have someone install it for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the guy I got my v12 pre-mod from. He does excellent work and will even take pics of the install so you'll be able to see what it looks like before he ships it back. Charges either $30 or $35 for the install IIRC:

http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpB...pic.php?t=4382

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a V12 with Laser Fix from Anthony1 here at DP and I've had to put 2 new lasers in it in the last year,

I wouldn't recommend a V12 at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    I got a V12 with Laser Fix from Anthony1 here at DP and I've had to put 2 new lasers in it in the last year,

I wouldn't recommend a V12 at all.
    That sucks. I almost bought that same PS2 from him too. Never had any problems with the one I have and I've been using it regularly for almost a year now.

The brand of media you use and burn speed makes a difference I too, I guess. I only use Verbatim discs at x4. I hear those are the best next to Taiyo Unden's.
    Last edited by norkusa; 04-19-2007 at 11:40 AM.