Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Gamecube was disappointing?

Sure.

An emphatic yes.

The N64 had Fzero X, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Wars Racer, Banjo Kazooie 1, Banjo Kazooie 2, Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time (a masterpiece), Masks of Majora, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and on and on and on.

The Cube had... um... er... well Metroid Prime was fun. And then there was... uh... darn. I can't think of anything else. (Zelda sucked. Mario Sunshine sucked. Banjo Kazooie on the Cube never happened. It was just one bad sequel after another; nowhere near as good as the N64 versions which were true masterpieces.)

The Gamecube was a beautiful system.
    I loved it's nice compact shape.
    But the software was disappointing.

Footnote: (It's worth pointing-out that I consider third-party games to be PS2 games, since I play them on my PS2. So any mention of a "good cube game" that I currently play on my PS2, would be a non-persuasive reason to keep my Cube. The Cube's going to Ebay.)

[edit]

[In terms of SALES I think the cube was a success. The Gamecube was essentially TIED with the Xbox. Nobody calls the Xbox a "sales flop" so why would the Cube be a "sales flop" when it sold the same number of units? Xbox == Cube in terms of sales performance (~25 million units)
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 04-19-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

yup, I agree. I liked several games on it but they were released for xbox/PS2 as well such as I-ninja, RE4, etc... I just sold mine as well since the Wii plays all my NGC games anyway.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Super Smash Bros. Melee?
    Animal Crossing?
    F-Zero GX?
    Pikmin?
    Wario Ware?
    Starfox Assault?
    Mario Golf/Tennis/Baseball/Strikers?
    Luigi's Mansion?
    Mario Party et al.?
    Game Boy Player?

I don't think it was disappointing at all. Even with the Wii, it'll remain a mainstay in my entertainment setup.

Nintendo always supports their machines with the games people want to play. It might scare some third parties away, but it was never common to see a 'Cube Exclusive' game anyway.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

the gameboy player is pretty much the only reason I am keeping my gamecube (since the wii will play the regular games.) You also forgot to mention Ikaruga in there too.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post

I don't think it was disappointing at all. Even with the Wii, it'll remain a mainstay in my entertainment setup.
    Ditto....

Battalion Wars
    IKARUGA

Eternal Darkness(haven't played yet

Curious:
    What's the going rate today for a Gamecube on Ebay---------or store trade in?

Sometimes it's just not worth selling if you aint going to get shit for it...I'd like to own a second Cube myself...
    .Flea market vendors are asking $50.00 for a used system..

Mario Kart Double Dask is linkable Right?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never played Ikaruga!!! Maybe someday.

No fun in 1-player mode: Super Smash Bros. Melee?
    No, because Real-life is more fun than fake life. Booooring: Animal Crossing?
    Nope: F-Zero GX?
    No because I hate puzzles: Pikmin?
    Never played: Wario Ware?
    FUN: Starfox Assault?
    Yawn: Mario Golf/Tennis/Baseball/Strikers?
    YEP! : Luigi's Mansion?

Gameboy Player - I don't like Gameboy games. I view them as inferior/lesser versions of the TV consoles. And in many case, direct copies of games I already got (Yoshis Island on SNES). There are exceptions like Metroid Zero, but not a good enough reason to waste my money on a Gameboy.
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 04-19-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought Super Monkey Ball 2 and Beach Spikers were two of the best multiplayer games ever (especially with 4 Wavebirds), not to mention Pac Man Vs. I wasn't overly impressed by any first party stuff with the exception of Metroid Prime, and even that I found tiresome after a while. IMO Resident Evil 4 was the game that would have made the system wholly worthwhile, but it came out for PS2. To me after RE4 it seemed the system had pretty much run its course. Yeah, kinda disappointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

SSBM was all you really needed for GCN, though Luigi's Mansion and Mario Party 5\6 where good.

Everything else worth playing had a version for another console (Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast), Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast), Lego Star Wars (PlayStation 2), Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox), etc.)

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8Ways2Tuesday's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've put many, many hours into my Cube and Fire Emblem. And I look forward to at least trying out the Baiten Kaitos games.

(and yes, PSO and Skies of Arcadia and Evolution were ports, but they were good ones)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it was successful business wise however for me personally it was successful and I love it. Plus yeah I love my GBA player

My favs,
    Ikaruga
    Resident Evil remake, 0, and 4
    Star Wars Rouge Squadron 2 and 3
    Zelda Windwaker, and Four Swords
    Fzero GX
    Wave Race: Blue Storm
    Mario Strikers
    Nba Street Vol 2 with Nintendo characters
    Metroid Prime
    Mario Party games
    All Donkey Kongo Games
    soo much more.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

theres a handful of games... but its still better than the n64, the n64 sucks ass, gamecube improved on n64's games with a couple of its own. really though the gameboy player is the only reasoni still have mine, what with the wii and all now, but honestly i dont like the wii either, annoying system and its been ages since i sat down to play a cube game, some of the latter ones werent that bad... battallion wars, fire emblem. banjo wasnt THAT good, just a mario64 clone... theres a bunch better games on the cube than that. mario64 found its new home on the wii and ds...

i cant stand the ps2's graphics... i was a spoiled computer gamer that dabbled in consoles a little here and there, i just cant play ps2. i alwys bought the xbox versions. now, the 360 i love... games, marketplace, graphics, streaming... everything.

this is gonna get locked, we've had this conversation like a dozen or so times.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 04-19-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SSBM 1-player not fun?? That is by FAR the most fun you can have playing single player in any fighting game ever made. Period.

For me, there isn't a single game on N64 that I liked. I've tried any number of them and I 1) hated the controller 2) thought the graphics were universally ugly, and 3) never found a single really engaging game.

I'll throw Tales of Symphonia in there for great GC games, too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I paid $100 for the Platinum edition little over 3 years ago at Best Buy and was totally worth it. I only own around 25 games for the system but there's others I want. My GC collection is listed here and out of it some of my favorites are:
    Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, Chaos Field, Serious Sam Next Encounter, TimeSplitters 2, TimeSplitters Future Perfect, Worms 3D

There's still a lot of games I need now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    Curious:
    What's the going rate today for a Gamecube on Ebay---------or store trade in?
    There's about a dozen places around here that sell GCs for $35, sometimes with 2 controllers. They are very affordable.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

What the hell?

The Gamecube is superior to the N64 in every measurable way...especially when it comes to the quality of games. I'm stunned to see people actually claim otherwise. The GC is far from dissappointing. I won't list a bunch of great games, since previous posts have taken care of that.

You do realize that the Nintendo 64 is the single worst mainstream console ever released....right? The N64 sucking has been the general consensus of (non 13 yr old) gamers since its demise.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 04-19-2007 at 09:29 AM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Moving this to Modern Gaming.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    What the hell?

The Gamecube is superior to the N64 in every measurable way...especially when it comes to the quality of games.
    I completely disagree. Of course the Cube is superior hardware. But the N64 had some real AAA titles; Super Mario 64, Excitebike, Goldeneye, Beetle Adventure Racing...and overall more good and "okay" games IMO than the Cube. I'm not very big on Smash Brothers, Mario Party, and Mario Kart, but if you ask me those games on the Cube were pretty much the same on the N64.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(points to KidIce) What he said. Pretty graphics =/= great gameplay. N64 may look ugly, but it's a heck of a lot more fun. Zelda Ocarina of Time may look old, but it's still better than its Wii or Cube sequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    banjo wasnt THAT good, just a mario64 clone...
    Hardly. Banjo-Kazooie 1 is the perfect 3D platformer, with huge worlds, great music, and awesome characters. And I love Grunty's one-liners.

Mario64 looks pale next to Banjo.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    I completely disagree. Of course the Cube is superior hardware. But the N64 had some real AAA titles; Super Mario 64, Excitebike, Goldeneye, Beetle Adventure Racing...and overall more good and "okay" games IMO than the Cube. I'm not very big on Smash Brothers, Mario Party, and Mario Kart, but if you ask me those games on the Cube were pretty much the same on the N64.
    I agree. I have played more multiplayer N64 than cube. Cube has some good games, but the 64's software library is more appealing IMHO.

Everyone disses N64, but it is the ultimate party system. (Excluding the Wii, which is To be Determined.)
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Eternal Darkness
    Animal Crossing
    RE 4
    Gameboy Player
    RE 0

The cube is actually prob. the last Nintendo system I'm going to ever buy.
    EDITED: Since were talking N64, This is the only system I ever hook up when the "The boys" come over. Where else can you stomp the hell out of your buddies on some Perfect Dark and Goldeneye?

Shawn
    Last edited by The Shawn; 04-19-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Let's forget about the Virtual Boy for a second, ok? Forgotten. All right. When Nintendo releases a console that sells as poorly as stuff like the 3DO, Jaguar or CD-i, then we can talk "disappointing." Compared to some expectations that came from the media or gamers, the Game Cube may not have measured up but it isn't easy to compete with the Sony hype machine and come out "on top." It did all right, if you ask me.