Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Gamecube was disappointing?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ I meant that Nintendo really had "sequel-itis" with the Cube for some reason.

Starfox...Cool (SNES) > Starfox 64...okay... (N64) > Star Fox Adventures ughh... (GC) > Starfox Assault...yawn... (GC)

Zelda III...Awesome (SNES) > Zelda 64...Awesome (N64) > Majora's Mask...Awesome (N64) > Wind Waker...yawn...(GC) > Twilight Princess...yawn (GC/Wii)

Mario World...Awesome (SNES) > Yoshi's Island...Awesome (SNES) > Super Mario 64...Awesome (N64) > Mario Sunshine....yawn... (GC)

Super Smash Bros...okay... (N64) > Super Smash Bros. Melee....yawn...(GC)

Mario Kart....Awesome (SNES) > Mario Kart 64...okay...(N64) > Mario Kart Double Dash...ughhh.... (GC)

Metroid Prime....Okay (GC) > Metroid Prime II...yawn.... (GC)

Pikmin, Eternal Darkness & Metroid Prime are the GC's best "exclusive" games and I think that for a system w/ as long of lifespan and installed base as it had, such a small number of really good games were made in comparison to cookie-cutter sequels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    ^^^ I meant that Nintendo really had "sequel-itis" with the Cube for some reason.

Starfox...Cool (SNES) > Starfox 64...okay... (N64) > Star Fox Adventures ughh... (GC) > Starfox Assault...yawn... (GC)

Zelda III...Awesome (SNES) > Zelda 64...Awesome (N64) > Majora's Mask...Awesome (N64) > Wind Waker...yawn...(GC) > Twilight Princess...yawn (GC/Wii)

Mario World...Awesome (SNES) > Yoshi's Island...Awesome (SNES) > Super Mario 64...Awesome (N64) > Mario Sunshine....yawn... (GC)

Super Smash Bros...okay... (N64) > Super Smash Bros. Melee....yawn...(GC)

Mario Kart....Awesome (SNES) > Mario Kart 64...okay...(N64) > Mario Kart Double Dash...ughhh.... (GC)

Metroid Prime....Okay (GC) > Metroid Prime II...yawn.... (GC)

Pikmin, Eternal Darkness & Metroid Prime are the GC's best "exclusive" games and I think that for a system w/ as long of lifespan and installed base as it had, such a small number of really good games were made in comparison to cookie-cutter sequels.

You're forgetting Animal Crossing, REmake (it's a complete remake, not a port), RE4 (well, it was supposed to be exclusive... its def the best looking version of RE4), and a bunch of neat 3rd party titles.

How can you *yawn* at SSBM? It's such an improvement over SSB that it's not even funny.

And as a side note, since when has making a whole ONE sequel meant milking a franchise?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    So right there aside from Metroid you have three games you can play on other systems. Yeah they're all "good" but they hardly make the system a "must have". The Gamecube just never developed its own identity.

Pick a system and fill in the blanks:

You gotta have a _______ to play _________.

For me the Gamecube just never filled in that second blank. Well actually, it did for the eight months or so that RE4 was a GC exclusive.
    If you are talking about A+++ games like RE4, you have a point.

But in general, Cube had a lot of cool third party exclusives, the likes of which there mostly weren't on the N64. Resident Evil (remake), Resident Evil Zero, Metal Gear Twin Snakes (remake), FF: Crystal Chronicles.....

N64 really did have only Nintendo exclusives... And Ogre Battle. I'm trying to think of others...... there weren't any?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Cube's RE-remake, RE0, and FFCC are nothing to brag about. All middling quality, and I sold them immediately after I finished. Not worthy of collecting. (Was MGTS exclusive? I thought I played that on my PS2.) I only limit myself to collecting great games and RE1,RE0, FFCC don't qualify.
    N64 really did have only Nintendo exclusives... And Ogre Battle. I'm trying to think of others...... there weren't any?
    You've forgotten about Rare and all the great games they contributed to the N64. IMHO not having Rare really hurt the cube. The Cube has the "sound" of Banjo Kazooie "walking" in its opening screen (hold down the B button). But Banjo's nowhere to be seen on the Cube. Nor the other Rare exclusives that made the N64 great. ----- That just left the cube with mainly Nintendo exclusives (mario, zelda, starfox adventures), each one of which was a "rush job" and inferior quality.

Also:

My point of view is from a 30-something adult, which is what age I went back & played all these consoles: NES. SNES. N64. And of course Gamecube. So my POV on all these consoles is identical. (I was in the computer gaming scene from 1985-2000, and never touched any of the Nintendo consoles.)

Are the 1st and 2nd party games on each console fun or not? NES? Yeah sort of. SNES? Absolutely! N64? Yes. Cube? No.
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 04-20-2007 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think the GameCube kicked ass. Still due, and still play games on it. Deal with it.

Oh, by the way, in my honest opinion the Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360, and PS3 are alll disappointing. Just to let you now... (and I mean this too)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BocoDragon View Post
    \
    Wipeout 64 (not released on any other system)
    Ridge Racer 64 (not released on any other system until DS)
    Quake 2 (I believe the N64 version was an exclusive)
    Doom (the N64 version was an exclusive)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All consoles have thier Gems, over the long haul? I just can't see it in the overal sheme of consoles being sought after as time goes on. It's a great peace of hardware with the add-on gameboy player indeed! and a handfull of great games, it's just didn't get that extra touch to put it into the elite line of console greats

Mine collects dust *sigh* with the same consoles in that gen still on the set-up(DC/PS2/Xbox), I'd rather fire up an DC/PS2 or Xbox game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if I'd say it was a great system, but it was far from disappointing. Windwaker was the reason I bought it, and it's still one of my favorite games. It gets bashed, but I have yet to see a game that's such a joy to look at. I've also put a lot of time into Chibi Robo, Odama, Pikmin 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, RE 4, and even Star Fox Adventures, which I thought was more decent than people give it credit for being. Would I want it to be my only console? No, but getting one was still a no-brainer. I could have swapped my Xbox for a PS2 without any problem, but I would have missed my Gamecube.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    The Gamecube was disappointing?
    Not for me. Loads of fun games on the good old 'cube
    . Chibi-robo, Animal Crossing, RE & 0&4, Pikmin, Mario Kart DD, Ikuruga. Probably all been mentioned above but for me it is a great system with plenty of great games.
    "There are good ideas, there are bad ideas, and there is shi*t like this that you have to take tainted meth to come up with."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I can agree that I rarely play my gamecube (Heck, I never played it once I got my xbox) But there are stil a few good exclusives. Paper mario: TTYD, Mario party (Series) Super Smash bros: melee, And the game boy player.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Eternal Darkness.

'nuff said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

far from it, the game cube was nintendo's best ,imho.
    the only nintendo console i purchased brandnew upon day of release, with inflatable nintendo gaming chair:
    http://videogamecollectors.com/gallery/album408

The only thing whats bugging me is that i never stocked up on GC games. maybe i make this my next collecting goal.
    Last edited by tom; 04-20-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The Cube's RE-remake, RE0, and FFCC are nothing to brag about. All middling quality, and I sold them immediately after I finished. Not worthy of collecting. (Was MGTS exclusive? I thought I played that on my PS2.) I only limit myself to collecting great games and RE1,RE0, FFCC don't qualify.
    So are the earlier RE games also of middling quality or are they better if only because they were originally released on Playstation?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I personally like every game system ever made. I would never call any of them a shitty system. Gamecube was a secondary system for me too. You weren't going to get the choices of games you had on PS2, but it had a nice little niche on the market...kinda like the dreamcast. I like Dreamcast better as far as whats available for games, but I'd say if I were to compare 2 systems, Gamecube/dreamcast were the closest (not saying they are identical or anything).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remake and 0 were hardly middling quality. They were some of the best looking games last gen, with plenty of atmosphere and solid re gameplay, if you do not like the series hey I understand but they really were great games to many people out there, I still do s rank runs on them to this day.

MGSTS was a nice treat for fans and a chance to replay MGS with better visuals, sure it was not 100% perfect but it beat the snot out of pretty much anything on the n64, remake and 0 likewise. FFCC was the closest thing to an rpg we got, I decided to give it a second chance a few weeks ago and I have to admit it has grown on me, I would have changed a few things but it is a breathtaking game to look at and has a bit of challenge for once.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BocoDragon View Post
    Starcraft 64 (only console version) - that and Ogre Battle 64 are the main reasons I still have a Nintendo 64.

Do you have a list of your collection posted online somewhere?
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a list on my computer. I can cut-n-paste it someplace if you wish. It's not a list of games I have in my possession, but a list of games I have played. Many of them were sold off (because they were dull).
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    So are the earlier RE games also of middling quality or are they better if only because they were originally released on Playstation?
    I don't like RE in general.
    Damn puzzles.
    I liked RE2 on the N64 (hires graphics);
    although it has collected a lot of dust lately.

I was hoping RE0 would be as good, but RE0 was less than exciting. (If you check the reviews, I think you'll find consensus on that opinion.) RE-make was also less than exciting. Overall I think Resident Evil is the gaming equivalent of Ed Wood. (Sorry that's just how I feel about it.)

I agree with an earlier poster. Eternal Darkness was fun, because it was genuinely scary & had a great story (I dig timetravel). I'd rate that way higher than any of the RE games. I'd rate Parasite Eve or Clock Tower higher too. I like psychological terror.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody_else
    Remake and 0 were some of the best looking games last gen
    Don't care about looks.
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 04-20-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not worthy of collecting? This Resident Evil / Metal Gear / Final Fantasy uber-fan begs to differ. Those are the crown jewels of gaming as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and Metal Gear Twin Sakes was a full on remake of MGS1 from PS1. Better graphics, redone game engine, redone cutscenes. It's definitely a Cube exclusive game. FF:CC is not A++ exciting, but it has an original multiplayer experience you can't get anywhere else, and a great audiovisual package. That's worth owning to me.

Again... 64 had nothing like this. It had no original sidestories/remakes/spinoffs of classic games available only on that system (Ogre Battle excepted, and some stuff I quote below). Gamecube has worth for me in this regard, with exclusive editions of great series, while N64 is seemingly Nintendo-only.

I could live without Rare on this planet, let alone on Gamecube. I only collect great games too, and those don't exactly make my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Wipeout 64 (not released on any other system)
    Ridge Racer 64 (not released on any other system until DS)
    Quake 2 (I believe the N64 version was an exclusive)
    Doom (the N64 version was an exclusive)
    Ah, thanks.. I knew there were some others I couldn't think of because I don't care about them much.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overall I think Resident Evil is the gaming equivalent of Ed Wood. (Sorry that's just how I feel about it.)

I think this is a big misconception (though common) because of the North American title "Resident Evil" suggests mature ambitions.

In Japan the game is called Biohazard. It can't be Ed Wood, because the creators know how cheesy and gratuitous it is.... i mean come on... BIOHAZARD.

It's a videogame homage to American horror movies.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I have a list on my computer. I can cut-n-paste it someplace if you wish. It's not a list of games I have in my possession, but a list of games I have played. Many of them were sold off (because they were dull).

I don't like RE in general.
    Damn puzzles.
    I liked RE2 on the N64 (hires graphics);
    although it has collected a lot of dust lately.

I was hoping RE0 would be as good, but RE0 was less than exciting. (If you check the reviews, I think you'll find consensus on that opinion.) RE-make was also less than exciting. Overall I think Resident Evil is the gaming equivalent of Ed Wood. (Sorry that's just how I feel about it.)

I agree with an earlier poster. Eternal Darkness was fun, because it was genuinely scary & had a great story (I dig timetravel). I'd rate that way higher than any of the RE games. I'd rate Parasite Eve or Clock Tower higher too. I like psychological terror.

Don't care about looks.
    You don't like RE and you don't like puzzles, yet you enjoyed an N64 port of RE2?

You don't care about looks and yet you chose to state your reason for liking RE2 on the N64 as 'hires graphics'?

Dude, your viewpoints are confusing. Pick one and stick with it.

If you dig psychological terror as much as you would have us believe, you wouldn't have even mentioned that you liked RE2. That game plays more like a comic book than a psychological thriller, same with PE.