Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The days of selling old games might be coming an end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default The days of selling old games might be coming an end?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169430...stnews;title;0

With the recent revelation that Grand Theft Auto IV will be set in a transparent stand-in for New York City, the state's politicians are already touchy on the subject of violent games. More are raising their voices, as today state Senators Andrew Lanza and Martin Golden called for a "crackdown" on violent games and said they would introduce legislation to keep kids from being exposed to inappropriate games.

The pair revealed three specific measures that their legislation will include. First of all, the senators want to establish an advisory council to monitor the effectiveness of the Entertainment Software Rating Board in keeping adult games out of children's hands. The members of that council would also develop policies for education on youth violence.

I am concerned about this part of the article:

The second specified measure would make rating labels mandatory on all games sold in the state, new or used, either in stores or online. Those who sell unrated games despite this would be fined and penalized, with the revenue derived going to fund the senators' third proposal.

That proposal is a Parent Teacher Anti-Violence Awareness Program, "which will empower parents and teachers to work with students and children on issues related to violence in video games." In addition to increasing awareness of the ESRB ratings, the program would advocate proper parental supervision.

I think part of that article also effect the atariage store and some other online stores that sell homebrew games along with every store that sells games snes games and below that for systems.

This only will effect New York state, but I think it is possible that a similar be proposed in other states.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 04-20-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I just don't see how this would ever be possible. As far as I know, you can't enact new laws to stop the sale of products that we're within their boundaries when developed. This is a very general statement of course. But, aren't cars the best example of this?

Emission standards go up every year for cars that are sold new. But it would be insanity to expect used cars to meet the same standards. I would undoubtebly think this same argument will be used for the lack of ratings on older used games.

Expect this to be yet another attempt by the ultra conservative to garner votes that will fail -- all while costing us taxpayers money in the process.

Wooppeedeedoo!
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    I just don't see how this would ever be possible. As far as I know, you can't enact new laws to stop the sale of products that we're within their boundaries when developed. This is a very general statement of course. But, aren't cars the best example of this?

Emission standards go up every year for cars that are sold new. But it would be insanity to expect used cars to meet the same standards. I would undoubtebly think this same argument will be used for the lack of ratings on older used games.

Expect this to be yet another attempt by the ultra conservative to garner votes that will fail -- all while costing us taxpayers money in the process.

Wooppeedeedoo!
    While it is true, the country of Germany doesn't allow 2600 games to be sold due to the games not having a rating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    While it is true, the country of Germany doesn't allow 2600 games to be sold due to the games not having a rating.
    They also haven't allowed anything extremely violent (Mortak Kombat for example) to be sold as far as I understand.

And, last I checked, Bush hasn't taken away ALL our civil rights just yet. He might be hard pressed to take away my retro games. This is America after all, goddammit!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If classic games are outlawed, then only outlaws will have classic games.

Seriously, I'm all for increasing awareness of the ESRB and game ratings -- it's a decent tool that parents can use to help them decide what to allow their children to play -- but as an adult myself, anything that takes away my right to buy and play games (especially older ones) is something that I'd never support, and anyone who supports such legislation is a person that I'd never vote for.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good luck enforcing a law like that. On another note, they may intend this or games since the creation of the ESRB. like someone else said they may "grandfather" older games. I think what they're trying to avoid is people reselling GTA to minors, etc.

I am totally against the censership of games, but I'm all for enforcing the ESRB. Require ID to prove you're 17 or older to buy M rated games. Hell require ID or age verification for AO games. That's resonable, but outright banning is just trying to impose a personal agenda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169430...stnews;title;0
    I think part of that article also effect . . . . along with every store that sells games snes games and below that for systems.
    Its about time they start cracking down on games. Before video games and television corrupted out youth we lived in a peaceful land void of wars, hate and suffering. Eltronic violence ruined thousands of years of peaceful tranquility.

Couldnt you just add your own rating to every game you sell to avoid any issues on ebay. They wouldnt be official but would serve the correct purpose. Just put some little quote at the bottom mentioning this game is mature etc etc. I know from experiece that bidders dont like reading descriptions anyway so the little means rating wouldnt mean much to most buyers.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope this results in stupid money being spent on rating every game ever made, because that sounds like a pretty funny job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    I hope this results in stupid money being spent on rating every game ever made, because that sounds like a pretty funny job.
    What'd be a great job is to review old games for the government and slap ratings on them.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Does the sky ever get tired of falling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

A regulation like this will probably do little more than scare the local shops into taking ESRB guidelines more seriously in their transactions. Pre-rated games will have to be grandfathered. No way in heck could one realistically enforce something like that on eBay or at CGE-type events. I don't have a problem with it at all if it works out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    And, last I checked, Bush hasn't taken away ALL our civil rights just yet. He might be hard pressed to take away my retro games. This is America after all, goddammit!
    And the last time I checked, nearly every serious effort to censor videogames in this country is initiated by a Congressional Democrat. Joe Lieberman, anybody?

Don't let's turn this into a flamewar now. You made your anti-Bush crack and I made a semi-informed retort. Let's just call it even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    And the last time I checked, nearly every serious effort to censor videogames in this country is initiated by a Congressional Democrat. Joe Lieberman, anybody?
    QFT! And let's not forget Hot Coffee Hillary
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    A regulation like this will probably do little more than scare the local shops into taking ESRB guidelines more seriously in their transactions. Pre-rated games will have to be grandfathered. No way in heck could one realistically enforce something like that on eBay or at CGE-type events. I don't have a problem with it at all if it works out that way.

Don't let's turn this into a flamewar now. You made your anti-Bush crack and I made a semi-informed retort. Let's just call it even.
    haha. I absolutely agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anything, wouldn't a ban make prices go up? If a product is illegal, people are willing to pay more for it, right? I can see it now: jails full of "game dealers" who are corrupting the country by selling Night Trap to little kids on the street corner.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think the proposal violates freedom of speech in some way. If they wanted to they could just emphasize the fact that a Mature rating is equivalent to an R rating. But that's not enough for them. That aside though, I'm submitting my proposal for a book ratings system.

"Warning: book contains grotesque depictions of emaciated individuals, charred corpses, and Adolf Hitler." Which reminds me, keep history out of the classroom!
    Just because I want to smell your poop, and taste your poop, doesn't mean I should have to pay for the privilege. I download whatever I want! For FREE!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So this is pretty much something else that both wastes taxpayer money and pretends to show politicians give a shit about everyones kids?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Eh, what?
    Maybe that's the case for shops, but certainly not for fleamarktes and individual Ebay sellers...a short look at German EBay definitely shows this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some VCS titles like River Raid are ' indexed', meaning they are not allowed to be advertised, displayed in shops, sold to minors etc....This law came into force in 1985(ish). Nowadays many (most) violent titles in Germany are 'indexed', they are not banned, there is a difference.
    OK, indexing RR was a sad affair, as for games not allowed being sold to 'under 18s', I'm all for that.
    When we still had arcades in Germany, they were '18 only', same with video shops, even when they rented out children titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*psssst*
    Hey Buddy.. yeah you!
    Ya wanna buy a combat? Wha? you need pac-man? ok ok You got it man.
    Just don't tell anyone where you got it, capiche?