Thread: Serious C64 HELP

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Serious C64 HELP

I recently purchased a Commodore 64 off of ebay. and the guy said new in box. i opened it up, and all that was in there was a big bulky keyboard, and a plug that doesn't even go into the C64! do i need to buy a full Commodore computer system first? and plus, the enter and spacebar seem to be pushed in. i hope thats normal. cuz if it isnt id be pissed.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is the problem with purchasing systems off ebay, you have to ask a million questions about the condition of the items. MINT actually means, "very dusty and old but if you clean it up it might be nice." and Boxed just means you get a box, boxed and MIB are different. the whole system is stupid and just facilitates fraud on Ebay.

here are the items that came in the original C64 box:

a RF switch (same as the Atari/coleco)
    A power supply (original is black. goes from power to power box to a 8 pin DIN plug)
    the c64 itself (it is just a brown keyboard with lots of ports)

thats it!

Things you could purchase with the unit were

1541 floppy (the original slow no DS/DD support just DS/SD or DS special C64 discs which you will not find for sale)

C2N Datasette (it's awsome, a tape drive. though I shit you not it takes 23 minutes to load Last Ninja II)

take a look at the back of the C64 can tell you a lot.

1) Cart port (instant load, carts for a buck)
    2) the RF port (craaaap)
    3) The AV DIN port - you can tell a lot about your C64 here. if it only has 5 holes then it is the original C64 with the crappy video chip. It can not support S-Video out. But it can do AV though it had an issue like the top loader with some stripy graphic defects. the C64's after 84 have a 8 pin DIN port that supports S-Video (you have to make a cable) and has a super super clean image. The C64c also has the newer chip.
    4) Basicly the disk drive port, but can be used for a printer.
    5) Casette port.
    6) user or homebrew port. where you would plug anything in if you can design it (like a ethernet adapter for Broadband internet.. It's true!)

The power plug-in is on the right side next to the two Joystick ports. You can use your Atari 2600 joysticks in all the commodore systems (Amiga to, though I use a Genesis controller on my Amiga)

Cost on these items are under $20 shipped usually. a c64 with 1541 should be around 40-45 shipped..

If you didn't get a disk drive then buy a 1571 as it is MUCH faster and is half the weight so shipping is less (or should be.) It also supports DS/DD discs.

Don't feel bad if you got jiped, my first Ebay experience was using BIN on a c64 with 1541 and tape drive. I didn't think about shipping so I used a 49.99 BIN and he sends me a bill for $49.99+$25 shipping! It took a month to get here and when it did he had shipped it all in a big box with no packing and the C64 was in two halfs; crushed by the 1541's weight. Needless to say I never got a reply on my complaints as he only had 2 feedbacks, 1 negative as seller. I did get the entire thing working though! these Commodores are tuff!

Also you can get a C128 and 1571 for the same as a c64/c64c and 1541 which is a much better system (though the same) and if you just want the look of the original C64 make sure to ask if it has the 5 wire DIN monitor out or the 8 wire DIN monitor out. If it's the 5 wire then leave it, it's the oldest of the old and the graphic quality is only useful for non-game applications.. - like controlling a robot!

MUST KILL ALL HUMANS!
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default thanks

thanks man. that helped me A LOT!!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Serious C64 HELP

Quote Originally Posted by GENESISNES
    a big bulky keyboard

HA! That "big bulky keyboard" IS the Commodore 64. That's how home computers were made in the 1980s.
    Troy

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Just for fun, go to your local thrift stores and dig through their old IBM keyboards, you will sometimes find a C64 or two. That's how I got mine!! $2.92, fully functional. I already had a disk drive from an auction I won. In that auction I got a non working C64 and working disk drive for $6.00 SHIPPED!!! So my C64 setup cost a whole $8.92!! Hope you have as much luck getting yours.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for your informations, i spent 18.00 ON THE STUPID NON WORKING THING!!!! well, at least i got a cool box out of it all...