Thread: Devices (other than a SegaCD) that attached to the Genny expansion port?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Devices (other than a SegaCD) that attached to the Genny expansion port?

Recently ran across a model 2 Genesis at a thrift. Normally I would have passed it by without a pause, however something interesting caught my eye. At the expansion port, where a SegaCD would connect to the Genny, there was an odd protrusion that extended past the case a half inch or so. Investigating into the oddity I noticed inside was a connecter with a PCB?!? The first thing that came to me (and my admittedly over-hopeful mind) was a region lock bypass but, I'd like to know for sure what this thing is. Any ideas?

The "thrift" is asking $40 for the unit and that is why I didn't buy it. I'll go back and pick it up if this thing turns out to be more than a replacement cover or something equally worthless though.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-25-2007 at 08:00 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't that possibly the thingy you were supposed to use if you were running a 32X with no Mega CD? The thingy that doesn't seem to actually do anything.

As for anything else that connects to that port, the only thing I can think of is the unreleased Mega FDD floppy drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also the 6-slot cartridge demo unit that connects to the port. Store chains like Sears and Hills used to have Model 1 Genny's running with this 6 game selector connected to the expansion back in the early 90's.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Recently ran across a model 2 Genesis at a thrift. Normally I would have passed it by without a pause, however something interesting caught my eye. At the expansion port, where a SegaCD would connect to the Genny, there was an odd protrusion that extended past the case a half inch or so. Investigating into the oddity I noticed inside was a connecter with a PCB?!? The first thing that came to me (and my admittedly over-hopeful mind) was a region lock bypass but, I'd like to know for sure what this thing is. Any ideas?

The "thrift" is asking $40 for the unit and that is why I didn't buy it. I'll go back and pick it up if this thing turns out to be more than a replacement cover or something equally worthless though.
    Ya, that's the 32X "dongle" as it was called in another thread at DP somewhere... It's not worth anything.