Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Exciting 5-Years of Gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Most Exciting 5-Years of Gaming

What are the most exciting five consecutive years of gaming for you? From what year to what year? For me it's 1993-1997: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-22-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

I would have to say '92-'97. That period covered the height of the Genny/SNES war as well as the great paradigm shift from 2D to 3D gaming.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1980 - 1985 for me. I was thinking about this the other day, but as a 10 year period, which for me was easily the entire 80's decade. In that time frame I owned my favorite consoles and computers - Atari 2600, Tandy Color Computer, NES, Genesis and TG-16 (although those final two were barely in the 80's)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    I would have to say '92-'97. That period covered the height of the Genny/SNES war as well as the great paradigm shift from 2D to 3D gaming.
    Very good years indeed. Those years may have been my second choice but had to stretch out the years to get to the Dreamcast years. Gaming up to 1997 was so great as it was but then the Dreamcast and all the Naomi games came into development soon after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I'd have to go 1996-2001 myself. '96 saw the launch of the N64 which gave us Mario 64 and the start of the whole 3D revolution. 2001 brought that to a sort-of natural conclusion with GTA3- the game that spawned a billion imitators. And in-between you have a collection of games the likes of which people had never before seen- FF7-9, Zelda OoT and MM, Shenmue, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 1 & 2, MGS, Quake 1-3, Starcraft- the list could go on forever. Sure, other eras had their own greats, but for me, no gaming era will ever come close to 1996-2001.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1988 to 1992. Before that I was into PC gaming which was rather annoying with shovelware crap games and their incredibly slow loading times. NES was instant gaming and so much better all around. So I ended with with dozens and dozens of great games to play on the system for most of these years. Then towards the end I was looking forward to getting the SNES and Super Mario World. The SNES was good, but I was really into the NES much more. Gaming systems after that was always hit or miss for me, never quite like the golden NES era which is what I enjoyed the most.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have to say like 93/94 - 2000 ( i know this is more than 5 years)

but PC gaming exploded with games like doom, duke 3d, quake (1, 2 and 3).

Online gaming took off with Kali, TEN, etc.

3d acceleration took off and we got awesome games like GL Quake and what not.

System Shock 2 came out...

I fell out with consoles during this time. The games just couldn't top what the PC was offering, not by a long shot. Mods, level editors and everything else. I remember people my freshman year of college all on consoles and my PC was still blowing them away.
    Last edited by bigbacon; 03-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's too hard to really nail down. As a kid you get those rosy memories of your first system and all it did for you, then as a teen you get that next one and while not a child you can more appreciate that one and afford to get a few more things. I'm stuck in a valley on that one I suppose. Perhaps 1990-1994? 1990 brought some of the NES's best offerings and yet through 1994 much of what is consider the most AAA of greatness hit the SNES as well with some Squaresoft level outliers and Nintendo too. I was in high school for the greater life of the SNES and really could dig into that stuff solidly around classes and stuff yet going back towards 1990s which was junior high SMB3 dropped and that was insane with the promos, movies, happy meal toys and the rest and I played that thing to death for a very long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly? Right now. The last five years have been just nuts in terms of the game industry. Both in development, distribution, and releases. We are living in interesting time.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

1987-1992. I personally went from playing the 2600 to the NES to the Genesis to SNES, etc. On the hand held front, went from garbage Tiger LCD's to the Game Boy.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I'd have to go 1996-2001 myself. '96 saw the launch of the N64 which gave us Mario 64 and the start of the whole 3D revolution. 2001 brought that to a sort-of natural conclusion with GTA3- the game that spawned a billion imitators. And in-between you have a collection of games the likes of which people had never before seen- FF7-9, Zelda OoT and MM, Shenmue, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 1 & 2, MGS, Quake 1-3, Starcraft- the list could go on forever. Sure, other eras had their own greats, but for me, no gaming era will ever come close to 1996-2001.
    Excellent choice. I have a bunch of EGMs from 1996 and just looked through the November 1996 issue and there was definitely a lot to get excited about in that year. 1996 was an amazing year for arcades and consoles and it only got better until 1999 hit with the hype of the Dreamcast and began sizzling out until 2000 which is where I feel the glory of gaming ended for me.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-10-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

There are quite a few, but I'd say 1987-1992 were by far the top years for me. NES, SMS, Atari XE GS, Turbo Grafx 16 (and CD-ROM), Game Boy, Lynx Genesis, Super Nintendo, and even the Neo-Geo were all owned by me, as soon as they were released. Yes, I was a spoiled brat, but I loved every minute of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

!989 - 1994. Many great NES and SNES games. I remember buying a SNES with my own cash. What a great day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Playstation AND Dreamcast... there's no way I could pick anything other than 1995-2000. They truly showed me how much more gaming could offer, after 8 or so years of mostly 2D experiences (started with the NES in '87).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    There are quite a few, but I'd say 1987-1992 were by far the top years for me. NES, SMS, Atari XE GS, Turbo Grafx 16 (and CD-ROM), Game Boy, Lynx Genesis, Super Nintendo, and even the Neo-Geo were all owned by me, as soon as they were released. Yes, I was a spoiled brat, but I loved every minute of it.
    Wow, how in the heck did your parents afford you all of those things for you? How old were you during those years?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    This was also the most exciting time for me, not cuz it was the best video game period, which it wasn't, imo, and it isn't my favorite, but it was the first time I'd owned my very first console, which was the Playstation. That made it the most exciting. And we also owned an N64 as well. I had played a lot of NES and Genesis before this, prolly since '91, but I'd never owned my own console till this era.

Suddenly I'd be going over my friends houses renting games all the time, I had a subscription to the Playstation Magazine, I wish I still had them all, and the demo discs which came with each one. I remember playing Metal Gear Solid, and being blown away when I finally beat it. Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Goldeneye, Mariokart, tonsa fun multiplayer games, tonsa FPS's, before the market was dominated by 2 franchises, COD and Halo. It was my golden age of gaming, although my favorite today is still when the NES ruled the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Playstation AND Dreamcast... there's no way I could pick anything other than 1995-2000. They truly showed me how much more gaming could offer, after 8 or so years of mostly 2D experiences (started with the NES in '87).
    Looks like we're on the same page. That's exactly how I feel. 2D games were awesome, don't get me wrong. The Street Fighter II series in the arcade provided me with many highs that is probably unmatched by any other game series, but many other games of that time in the arcade left a lot to be desired and once 1995 hit we got a ton of great 3D games that really showed where gaming had arrived and where it was going and it was a great experience to be in on the ride. 1995-2000 were amazing years for sure. My second choice would have to be 1992-1997 once Street Fighter II hit the scene in the arcades and console gaming really took off.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-11-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Wow, how in the heck did your parents afford you all of those things for you? How old were you during those years?
    And I forgot to mention the Atari 1040 STe. I was 14-19 in those years. The funny part is, my parents were not even close to rich. They just had a son that was absolutely obsessed with video gaming. My mom was the one who got me the gaming stuff. She was very good to me, and I am forever grateful.

By 1990, I became increasing nostalgicly, and started getting back into the classics that I enjoyed as a little kid. In 1990, I thought about making a newsletter. The next year, Zap! became a reality. But unlike some others into classic, I never lost touch with the newer systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'm probably going to be alone here, but for me the best five years were 2002 - 2007. In those years we got:

-The tail end of the Dreamcast
    -The tail end of the GameBoy Color (Shantae!)
    -The raise and fall of the GameBoy Advance, the spiritual successor to the Super NES
    -The raise and fall of the original Xbox
    -The raise and fall of the GameCube
    -The best years of the PS2
    -The raise of the DS
    -The raise of the PSP
    -The raise of the Xbox 360
    -The very beginnings of the PS3 and Wii

and also other things like
    -The fall of memory cards, slowly replaced by harddrives
    -The raise of HD gaming, 480i at first, then 480p, then up from there
    -The raise of online gaming in the console space
    -Region free console based gaming becoming a thing, even if it was only Sony who was doing it with the PS3.

Plus, its just staggering to think about how many completely fantastic games we saw in those years. Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Halo, Phoenix Wright, the list goes on and on.

As much as I love classic gaming of the 80s and 90s, Those years were just magic.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Most exciting for me? Oh man. I want to say maybe 1988-1993. While I was playing video games for a while, it wasn't until I got my NES and discovered read the different magazines on the racks that I took more of an interest in the hobby. This was also the time where discovered PC gaming when I moved away from my CoCo and embraced my IBM PC compatible 8088 that I upgraded with a VGA card and an 8-bit Sound Blaster card. Police Quest, Lemmings, Civilization, Pirates!, Covert Action, Light Speed, Wing Commander (which worked decent on 10 MHz Turbo)...the list goes on. By the end of this time frame I got a 486 SX 25 which made my jaw drop at what I could play.

There were good moments later on but that transition was quite the time for me.