Thread: Games where you can get locked out of achieving 100% completion?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Games where you can get locked out of achieving 100% completion?

There are a couple that come to mind for me and the first one is Super Metroid. If you make it to Tourian, I dont believe there is any way to go back to the other areas to get all the items once you save in there. So you have to make sure youve gotten everything up to that point.

Another is Grand Theft Auto 3 and possibly its sequels. I remember a part where if you go straight to the last mission on the first island and beat it, the other uncompleted missions disappear from the map.

Im playing Donkey Kong Land right now and it seems there may be a similar thing where if you skip a level, you cant get 100%, but I wonder if that means you can still go back and beat it to get 100%

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Isn't that how it is with most games? Once you get past a certain point you can't backtrack to earlier areas? Unless there are certain games that are glitched and can't be beaten 100% no matter what.

I know with Kid Chameleon it's impossible to play through all levels on a single playthrough as there are branching paths. That may not count the same way though.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Isn't that how it is with most games? Once you get past a certain point you can't backtrack to earlier areas? Unless there are certain games that are glitched and can't be beaten 100% no matter what.

I know with Kid Chameleon it's impossible to play through all levels on a single playthrough as there are branching paths. That may not count the same way though.
    No its not that way with most games. For example Super Mario 64, even after you beat the last boss, you can go back and beat missions you skipped. Almost all the Zelda games Ive played are like that too I believe and you can re-enter all the old dungeons. The one exception I can think of is Links Awakening wherein theres a point where you get the chicken for a short period of time and need that to get one of the shells. Well once the chicken isnt available anymore, you cant get the shell if you missed it right away

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you're just talking missables and not games with displayed percentages, then the list would be pretty massive. It feels like practically every RPG has something you could permanently miss, if you progress past the window in which something is available. You can permanently miss items or characters in Shining Force, Star Ocean 2, Illusion of Gaia, Super Mario RPG, Suikoden, Lunar, etc. etc.

Zelda games are fairly forgiving, but I did permanently miss out on Light Arrows in The Minish Cap, which I was irritated with at the time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think it's possible to lock yourself out of 100% completion in Tomba for the PlayStation, if you destroy the wrong environmental feature at the wrong time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

There are two ways in Dark Wizard which will block you from finishing the game - there is a fix for one of them but it is not intuitive at all.

There is also one way to out and out lose the game - once the process starts you can't stop it.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Zelda games are fairly forgiving, but I did permanently miss out on Light Arrows in The Minish Cap, which I was irritated with at the time.
    I think fusing the Kinstones worked the same way as I just couldn't find all of them. I ended up not finishing the game because I kept searching all over repeatedly and wanted to find them all before beating it. It's like I need to replay the whole game from the beginning with a full detailed walkthrough which takes the fun out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

As has been said, tons of games have missable content, some are sensible, some not so much.

My personal pet peeve is when something is missable and is either A) either outright necessary to get a good ending or at least makes your life easier, B) is only obtained through doing something extremely out-of-character or assholish even if you're going for a 'nice guy' sort of playthrough, of C) something that requires a walkthrough or very good luck to even know that it exists. Or D) all of the above.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Don't forget those gilded falcons in Alundra. The ultimate obvious missable item as you can't re-enter any of the dreams. Oh and Vandal-Hearts never lets you replay any level unless you start it over without saving afterward.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    There are a couple that come to mind for me and the first one is Super Metroid. If you make it to Tourian, I dont believe there is any way to go back to the other areas to get all the items once you save in there. So you have to make sure youve gotten everything up to that point.
    .... You can leave Tourian any time before fighting Mother Brain.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    .... You can leave Tourian any time before fighting Mother Brain.
    If you save at the second save point, you're stuck there.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I don't think it's possible to get 100% completion in Skyrim. The variety and scale of the things you can do is just so much. Especially with the Legendary Edition.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    If you save at the second save point, you're stuck there.
    ... I'm going to have to test this next time I play because I remember being able to back out even at that point.