Thread: 360 Disc quick spin-down (breaking mechanism?) loud noise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default 360 Disc quick spin-down (breaking mechanism?) loud noise.

I mentioned this briefly in another thread about 360 failures, but it happens so frequently that my concern over it is growing.

My first 360 failed on me - no red ring of death, but the DVD drive eject motor crapped out to the point where it wouldn't open at all.

It was a launch "core" unit, so I swapped it out for another used unit at my friends game store. This time for a used "premium" manufactured in 2006.

Everything is working perfectly with this one (knock wood) but I've noticed a MAJOR difference between the units is when I quit to dashboard, and/or sometimes when a game boots up it goes from an audible quick spin up of the disc (that high pitched whizzing noise ... probably going like 20X speed) immediately to a DISTURBINGLY loud "breaking" noise, as if the DVD drive suddenly started spinning in reverse during it's high speed spin up. It's kind of a loud fast "RAWWWRRR" noise.

Now the kicker is that it never seems to do anything negative when that happens. No disc errors, no slow load times ... everything functions normally ... but the noise is horrifying.

I know that Microsoft has used several different manufacturers for DVD drives since the launch of the 360, so I'm guessing that this MAY be a standard action of one of the newer drives. I'm just wondering if I'm the ONLY person who has this going on.

Anybody else experiencing this awful loud noise on quits to the dashboard, or any other times? Has it lead to any disc damage or system failures in your experiences?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one they sent back to me had intermittent door opening issues. When I open it through the dash it opened with no problems. I should be anal and send it back but it is intemittently
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am having this same problem with my 360 as you are Frankie. It happens when I quit to the dashboard, sometimes when a game loads after putting it in, and when I unpause a game after having it paused for a little while (5 minutes or so). So far I have had no problems other than that, besides the drive not opening and closing all of the time. I believe my unit was manufactured in 2006 as well (I'm not at home to check).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ZBo View Post
    I am having this same problem with my 360 as you are Frankie. It happens when I quit to the dashboard, sometimes when a game loads after putting it in, and when I unpause a game after having it paused for a little while (5 minutes or so). So far I have had no problems other than that, besides the drive not opening and closing all of the time. I believe my unit was manufactured in 2006 as well (I'm not at home to check).
    Doesn't that "noise" bother/scare the crap out of you?

I fully expect my discs to come out completely scratched or something.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it almost a buzzing sound? If so, sounds like the disc is falling off the spindle. Not a good thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I know exactly what you are talking about. It has happened to me only a couple times. I too thought my disc was going to be wrecked the first time it happened.

ProgrammingAce: I wouldn't describe it as a buzzing sound. It's more of a loud, sharp "crack" for only a moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    Doesn't that "noise" bother/scare the crap out of you?

I fully expect my discs to come out completely scratched or something.
    It did scare me at first, but now it's just annoying. And I always checked to see if my discs were all scratched up, but they never were. I expect this unit to die someday, so hopefully my next one will be problem free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I've noticed that the noise ONLY happens on certain games.

Games included in my collection that I've noticed the noise with, but likely not limited to:

Orange Box
    Guitar Hero II & III

I've been playing a lot of Beautiful Katamari this weekend, and it doesn't spin down / stop the disc noisily with that one.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way the game data is formatted on those games and the way the 360 reads them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    I've noticed that the noise ONLY happens on certain games.

Games included in my collection that I've noticed the noise with, but likely not limited to:

Orange Box
    Guitar Hero II & III

I've been playing a lot of Beautiful Katamari this weekend, and it doesn't spin down / stop the disc noisily with that one.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way the game data is formatted on those games and the way the 360 reads them.
    Same here. Some games it does it, some it doesn't. I've noticed on a few of the games it only does it at certain points. Like one game when I quit to dash is the only time it makes the noise while another at the very beginning of the intro it does it once and never again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ZBo View Post
    Same here. Some games it does it, some it doesn't. I've noticed on a few of the games it only does it at certain points. Like one game when I quit to dash is the only time it makes the noise while another at the very beginning of the intro it does it once and never again.
    I'm betting it's something in the way the data is formatted. At the points where we hear that noise, there's command data on the disc that tells the 360 to "spin down", or jump rapidly to another area on the disc - and the type of DVD drive we have in our respective 360's does a quick motor reverse spin or something to that effect to aid in the process.

So annoying!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 360 has done the same thing for months and months now, most notably when quitting from a game and going back to dash, it's just a loud grunting/crunching noise for a second as the disc spins down. It barely ever happens at any other time but I have noticed that in COD4 when saving and quiting a mission back to the main menu it does it. There seems to be no damage to any of my discs that make the noise and I get no read errors, so I suppose I just have to live with it. If it started scratching discs then I'd be worried, but for now I just try to ignore it.

It's hard to ignore though, especially if you have mates around and they hear it. It sounds like something fatal has just happened inside your console every time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know exactly what is wrong. I get this all the time at DP when people bring in there broken stuff. This is from dust or a rubber wear down on the disc spindle in the drive. What happens is the disc is spinning at such a fast rate that when you quit to your dash the drive stops spinning but the dust or rubber wear down on the spindle keeps the disc spinning on the almost still spindle. This is nothing to worry about FOR NOW. As time goes on and it gathers more dust and more of the rubber wears away thats when you run into your Disc Read Errors. The way that I fix this is either cleaning the spindle inside the drive or replacing the rubber pad on the spindle. Hope this helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We'd replace the transport.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!