Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Giving 360 Owners Free Memory Cards and Cheap Hard Drives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microsoft Giving 360 Owners Free Memory Cards and Cheap Hard Drives

For those who have 360's that don't have a hard drive or memory unit, Microsoft is being generous in preparation for the upcoming New Xbox Online Experience. Because you'll need some storage space to properly utilize all of the features, this will come in handy for those who would have otherwise been left out because of their arcade units: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...program/?biz=1

So essentially you could have a total package of an Xbox 360 Arcade version with a 20 gb hard drive for $219.99. I don't care what kind of fanboy you are, you have to admit thats a damn good deal
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 10-14-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

Dude this is a link to some BS story about "Obama Reaching Out to Gamers in Burnout and Other EA Titles."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by titanzguard View Post
    Dude this is a link to some BS story about "Obama Reaching Out to Gamers in Burnout and Other EA Titles."
    Fixed. Thanks.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Uh-oh. I better sell that extra 20 gig HD fast if MS themselves are blowing them out for $20.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Uh-oh. I better sell that extra 20 gig HD fast if MS themselves are blowing them out for $20.
    Most stores are already selling them for $50 and below anyway, but this still is a good deal. But yeah, you should sell yours while you still can.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, if all I need is a serial and console i.d., could I just take one from a dead system and get a free memory card?
    A friend of mine has dozens of systems in his shop for parts, and he keeps track of all that info.
    He probably has hundreds of numbers from service calls and mods, too.
    Hmmm.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    So, if all I need is a serial and console i.d., could I just take one from a dead system and get a free memory card?
    A friend of mine has dozens of systems in his shop for parts, and he keeps track of all that info.
    Hmmm.....
    While your suggestion should work for you, don't get any crazy ideas about getting "dozens or hundreds" of free memory cards because it won't work and here's why. The memory cards have to be shipped somewhere and the address stays on file. Of course you could always say you have two or three 360's in your house, but anymore than that and they would indeed be suspicious of your intentions
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 10-15-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Hmmm.....
    theres always someone out there that will totaly screw over and fuck over a company when they try to offer something nice and abuse it to the point where they cancel the offer,

a winner is you.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    theres always someone out there that will totaly screw over and fuck over a company when they try to offer something nice and abuse it to the point where they cancel the offer,

a winner is you.
    /me looks up from table.

All I need is is the "Well Micro$oft (has to use the dollar sign for the S to show how amazingly witty they think they are being) has been screwing us over for so long, it's about time they got some of their own medicine" post, and I get a BINGO!
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I punched in my info and it didn't offer a memory card at all. The only offer I got was:

a REFURBISHED 20 GB HD + 3 months XBox Live for $29.99

Think that's worth it?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though I have an Arcade model, I'm using a 20GB HD from an older 360. I don't qualify for jack. Which is cool. Can't complain really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    /me looks up from table.

All I need is is the "Well Micro$oft (has to use the dollar sign for the S to show how amazingly witty they think they are being) has been screwing us over for so long, it's about time they got some of their own medicine" post, and I get a BINGO!
    Remember, fraud and theft are OK if you're stealing from a big company like Microsoft!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not convinced that's really fraud (unless he goes the route of stealing serial numbers from systems he's repaired for other people).

Microsoft is verifying the serial numbers and authorizing each system for the deal. If you have a bunch of systems for parts and such and Microsoft says each system is authorized for a hard drive upgrade, i don't think it's really fraud.

If you own that many systems, and MS says it's ok... what's the issue? You're not exactly pulling one over on them.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You guys sure it'll work with systems sold past the opening of this offer? I'm half considering getting the Arcade version if I can get the hard drive for just 20 bucks, but I don't want to buy the system and pull it out of the box only to find out my serial number won't work and I'm stuck paying more for a hard drive than if I had just gone with the Pro model. Sure, more space is nice, but I figure I can pick up a bigger hard drive much later on when they're dirt cheap.

Also, this is an unrelated question, but I'm currently borrowing a 360, and I'm wondering if I can transfer my saves on its hard drive to a memory unit and then use them on the 360 I'd theoretically buy? Sorry if it's a totally dumb question, I'm completely new to the 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Also, this is an unrelated question, but I'm currently borrowing a 360, and I'm wondering if I can transfer my saves on its hard drive to a memory unit and then use them on the 360 I'd theoretically buy? Sorry if it's a totally dumb question, I'm completely new to the 360.
    Not a dumb question at all. If they are just game saves you should be ok. However, if you have purchased games on xbla then you might have a problem. I'm not sure if they fixed it yet but Microsoft has some weird ass problem where all you purchases are tied to one 360, even if you buy a new system and try to transfer your saves from the first console to the new one. Again, I'm not sure if they fixed it yet and I'm pretty sure it was mainly for xbl and xbla purchases. I'm sure there are others on here more qualified to answer this question though, but I always try to help out when I can.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    You guys sure it'll work with systems sold past the opening of this offer? I'm half considering getting the Arcade version if I can get the hard drive for just 20 bucks, but I don't want to buy the system and pull it out of the box only to find out my serial number won't work and I'm stuck paying more for a hard drive than if I had just gone with the Pro model. Sure, more space is nice, but I figure I can pick up a bigger hard drive much later on when they're dirt cheap.
    Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the offer applies to the arcade unit, as it comes with a 256MB card already. It only applies to Cores that came with no kind of storage at all.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That would be kind of silly if that's the case, though, considering if someone bought a Core back before they were discontinued, it was basically a given that they'd buy some kind of storage device at the same time. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to save games, right? It would be pretty odd if they went all these years without being able to save and then decided "Hey, it would be swell to have a free memory unit or a cheap hard drive". The only scenario that would really make sense would be if they bought the 64MB memory unit, which would be too small for the new service, but I kind of find it hard to believe that they'd be catering solely to those people.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Not a dumb question at all. If they are just game saves you should be ok. However, if you have purchased games on xbla then you might have a problem. I'm not sure if they fixed it yet but Microsoft has some weird ass problem where all you purchases are tied to one 360, even if you buy a new system and try to transfer your saves from the first console to the new one. Again, I'm not sure if they fixed it yet and I'm pretty sure it was mainly for xbl and xbla purchases. I'm sure there are others on here more qualified to answer this question though, but I always try to help out when I can.
    Wut? No, let's try this again...

Most game saves can be transfered, some cannot (any team ninja games, some Rare games, etc...).

As for transfering arcade titles, you can manually reassign your arcade purchases once every 12 months. Otherwise you would only be able to play them when signed into live. Your arcade titles are transfered automatically if MS has to repair your system.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the offer applies to the arcade unit, as it comes with a 256MB card already. It only applies to Cores that came with no kind of storage at all.
    here's how the offer works:

core units - free 512mb mem card or 20gb hd for $20

arcade units - 20gb hd + 3 months of live for $30, or live with your pitiful 256mb of storage space for free