Thread: *Play N Trade*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Exclamation *Play N Trade*

I don't really know where else to post this, but Play N Trade is an everything Videogame store. They buy/sell new & old games, and I'm not talking like Gamestop where N64 is considered old and not accepted. I'm talking as far back as Atari. It's similar to the old Mom & Pop shops that many of us loved when we were younger. They also do Tournaments and parties, and they've also got alot of deals/promotions. Go to http://playntrade.com and go to the store locator to see if there's a store near you. It's definitely worth a look. They also have alot of imports (they had a Japan PS3 at the Play N Trade where I live). I'm plugging this place because there aren't many stores where you can do this anymore. I'd like to see this type of thing thrive again. Just something I wanted to share with the fellow DPer's, thanks.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Playntrade is a good store, I dont even goto gamestop anymore.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I'm not sure if they are all the same, but one of the Play n Trades near me was just awful. They had almost no selection of anything, modern or classic, and had nothing older than PS1, not even any N64 or Dreamcast titles. This store was in West Caldwell, NJ.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Play N Trade is VERY YMMV. I've been to some stores that were awesome, with good prices and imports, and others that charged $70 for a cart only copy of Metroid.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've visited two Play N Trades so far, and both were great! Fair prices, decent selection of classic games, and friendly knowlegable staff. Sure, some of them might be downright terrible, but it's always worth a shot because anything is better than Gamestop.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yeah, Play N Trade is hit or miss, and thankfully the one near me is awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

I used to love the Play n Trade by me when it was still open, but Gamestop crushed the competition in my area and now there are no more left in Maryland at all

Insert Coin (Level 0) SpyHunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    I'm not sure if they are all the same, but one of the Play n Trades near me was just awful. They had almost no selection of anything, modern or classic, and had nothing older than PS1, not even any N64 or Dreamcast titles. This store was in West Caldwell, NJ.
    I was in that store about 3 weeks ago and picked up Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World and Castlevania 4 for the SNES and a few 2600 games including Pengo, cost me around $20 for everything.

You have to check back often, they can only put out for sale what is traded in so its very hit or miss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Plus, let's not forget that unlike GameStop, Play N Trade is a franchise business, with each store being independently owned and for the most part, completely flexible with their pricing. All GS stores are corporate owned and they have one price list for every store, not so at PnT. I like my local one and the owner is a pretty cool guy who is just trying to make a living at something he loves - video games. I go there once a week and almost always buy something there - last week I got a few DC games. About two months ago I picked up a complete copy of STeel Battalion with controller for $70. Not bad!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PnT is always a mixed bag, on the one hand they do so many things right that the stores far exceed the GS competition however since there is virtually no advertising done outside of the local level they often get forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

The PnT I frequent is above and beyond what I expect. Their selection is MASSIVE. Hundreds of titles for NES, Genesis, SNES, TG, 2600, etc... along with an excellent slice of new releases. They even have Intellivision and for a short period had a working Adventure Vision (!!!!!!!!!!!!) on the shelves. Sometimes I just hang out and bullshit with the staff... we'll chat about old games, watch Yhatzee or AVGN, break out a game and tear each other up or discuss our collections.

I guess since games for us are less of a strict form of entertainment and more of a hobby and passion, we expect a different caliber of store and experience. My PnT fills that gap perfectly. It's a much more social and inviting atmosphere... one where you aren't pushed to reserve everything nailed to the wall.

Matt... Richard... if yer on here, keep on keepin' on!
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ButtonMasher123 View Post
    I used to love the Play n Trade by me when it was still open, but Gamestop crushed the competition in my area and now there are no more left in Maryland at all
    theres not one in germantown like the site says? I was thinking bout giving it a go...

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

I always go in there a few times a month with extra games I have. Last weeke i supplied them with 3 SNES Zeldas, both N64 Zeldas, a stack of NES games ( zelda 1 and 2 there also lol ) and tons of other stuff. I got about 110 dollars in trade, and bought a bunch of old stuff I didnt have, like Shaq-Fu for Genesis and other goodies.

I know i could have gotten a little more on ebay, but I dont want them to go under, who knows what people will trade in there!

Insert Coin (Level 0) HyruleHero's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Play N Trafe

I live in Jersey and there is a play n trade in Lacey NJ that has a decent amount of old stuff. When I first heard about it I went and bought a ton of Sega Master System games, I check back once in a while to see if there is anything old(New) that has come into the store and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't have anything. If you are looking for some classics, the one in Lacey is good to go too. If you are looking for hard to find, you might be out of luck. Another Play n trade opened in Englishtown NJ and they have nothing but new games. They go as far back as PS1. Here is one place nobody mentions. There is a place in Jersey called We've got freaking video games... it is located in Hamilton NJ. The owners name is Jim and he is a great guy and has a ton of stuff that I think collectors or anybody else looking for a good game should go. He has a good mix of stuff, defintely worth checking out. I live in central NJ and I drive an hour once and a while to go to his store.

Quote Originally Posted by FxMercenary View Post
    I always go in there a few times a month

with extra games I have. Last weeke i supplied them with 3 SNES Zeldas, both N64 Zeldas, a stack of NES games ( zelda 1 and 2 there also lol ) and tons of other stuff. I got about 110 dollars in trade, and bought a bunch of old stuff I didnt have, like Shaq-Fu for Genesis and other goodies.

I know i could have gotten a little more on ebay, but I dont want them to go under, who knows what people will trade in there!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LukenAtMe
    PSN
    LukenAtMe

The Play & Trades near me are garbage...uninspired inventory and really little useful older games, just disc only PS1 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

The Play & Trade near me isn't all that great, they have a small selection of NES and SNES, but nothing else for either of those eras. Their stock mostly consists of PS2 games, but I will admit that their prices are pretty good, though their used prices on newer games are terrible, they typically charge a dollar or two less than the new price, which is worse than GameStop and just doesn't seem very smart for a store that is supposed to make a majority of it's profits on used sales.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124252
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107129

Seems like divided opinion.

I still hate the one near me. The selection is piss-poor(which basically boiled down to anything prior to PS2 being virtually non-existant), prices that are the same as every other retailer, and the employees have practically ignored me the past couple times I stopped in. They were too busy babbling back and forth and playing games to even acknowledge a customer was in the store.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    That's because I swiped all the goodies for myself including World Series Baseball for 32x.

Seriously, did you really look around? Cause you would have found the classic section up at the counter with a good selection of Atari, Nintendo and N64 games along with a Neo Geo AES system and Super Scope 6, which they gladly showed after chatting for a bit.

Bear in mind, this particular store open recently, so their selection won't be as wide until they get a word out and trade-ins start consistently coming in. Most of the current classic inventory is from the owner's collection after what sold off in the holiday season. He did have Final Fantasy 7 and other goodies that sold off pretty quickly. I'll be stopping by there place every two weeks and let you guys know.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

Quote Originally Posted by HyruleHero View Post
    I live in Jersey and there is a play n trade in Lacey NJ that has a decent amount of old stuff. When I first heard about it I went and bought a ton of Sega Master System games, I check back once in a while to see if there is anything old(New) that has come into the store and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't have anything. If you are looking for some classics, the one in Lacey is good to go too. If you are looking for hard to find, you might be out of luck. Another Play n trade opened in Englishtown NJ and they have nothing but new games. They go as far back as PS1. Here is one place nobody mentions. There is a place in Jersey called We've got freaking video games... it is located in Hamilton NJ. The owners name is Jim and he is a great guy and has a ton of stuff that I think collectors or anybody else looking for a good game should go. He has a good mix of stuff, defintely worth checking out. I live in central NJ and I drive an hour once and a while to go to his store.
    I've been in the Lacey(Forked River) store once or twice but it was overpriced and not much non mario/zelda/etc stock...course that was atleast a year or more ago? I guess I might have to stop by one day after work. Thanks for mentioning the one in Hamilton; I'm always looking for independant stores around here but I never find any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

never knew one was in W Caldwell my home town!