Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Yearly Finds

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I was walking by a garage sale on Saturday and stopped in. The guy saw my Star Wars T-shirt and asked if I liked star wars stuff, and offered to go look for some he thought he had. I said it probably wasn't worth it, I'm more interested in old video games. He didn't think he had anything like that, but went to find the SW stuff. Eventually came out with a N64 box and a N64 controller box. The system box had all the packaging and such, but mice had gotten in. Looked okay on the outside, and once upon a time I might have tried to salvage something, but I didn't object when he just chucked it in the garbage. The Controller box had a memory pak box in it and all that was in great shape. He let me have it, but I left him a quarter, the only cash I had on me. Lame story, sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It's not too lame, Cornelius. Heh.

I just picked up a surprising haul:

DS Car Power Adapter
    Gamecube Controller (Black; I needed this)
    Grey Game Boy (The power switch seems to be broken but I don't know)
    PS1/PS2 A/V Cable (x2)
    PS2 Memory Card
    Starfox 64 (Loose)

Game Gear Items:

Carrying Case
    System (Not working; battery acid leaked all over the motherboard)
    Power Adapter

Games:

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
    X-Men (With anti-dust case)

NES & Related Items:

NES Power Glove & Sensors
    Regular NES Controller (Dirty)
    Hyperkin NES Clone + 2 Controllers
    NES Power Adapter

Neo Geo Pocket Color Games (All loose, all except 2 have anti-dust cases: )

Card Fighter's Clash (Capcom Edition)
    Dark Arms Beast Buster 1999 (U.K. version? It says "Supported by NGP Color" at the top, is that U.K. exclusive?)
    Dive Alert (Matt's Version)
    Fatal Fury Contact (American Version)
    Evolution: Eternal Dungeons (Import; probably the more common Japanese version)
    King of Fighters R2 (U.S. Version?)
    Metal Slug: 1st Mission (U.K. Version?)
    Metal Slug: 2nd Mission (U.S. Version?)
    Pac-Man (U.K. Version?)
    Pocket Tennis Color (U.K. Version?)
    Puzzle Bobble Mini (U.K. Version?)
    Puzzle Link 2 (U.S. Version?)

Total price was, at first, $15; however, the fellow also told me he was into fabricating things and he showed me a good Fallout 3 Shich Kebab he had made (minus the flame capabilities) and I commented "I wonder what you could make with a 50s Hoover Vacuum..." and he mentioned he had an Electrolux; I then mentioned I had a nice 50s/60s Electrolux and he was interested and bought it for $10 (I paid $12 - Edit - I previously thought I paid $13.) I also gave him a bottle of Blueberry Basil Kombucha (though I volunteered that to introduce him to Kombucha.) In total, this haul was $7.50.

EDIT: I may have done better than I thought with the NGPC games. If Evolution were the PAL version I could have struck it rich.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-16-2018 at 03:28 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slate For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (07-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

picked up some random ps1 games and dreamcast games couple days ago at pawn shop all complete in case with manual...

ps1 c12 resistance and Wild 9
    dreamcast: tennis 2k2, sonic adventure 2, world series baseball 2k1, and shadowman

$25 for all

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

not a lot for this year. I don't bother with garage sales anymore because I never find video games; not even newer stuff like PS2 or Wii.

I did find a guy off Craigslist earlier this month who sold me like 20 xbox magazines for 20 bucks. I was happy with that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Found a Wii with the cables, sensor bar, a controller and 2 of the smaller plug-in controllers with a few other things for $25. Passed on a DSI which was having issues; when I hit the L or R button, it got an error message.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-02-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Today, found:

Atari 2600 4-Switch Woodgrain system with the A/C adapter. It seems that some motherboard chips are taped to it (?) - $3
    Wii DJ Hero Controller with Tattered Box - $1

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-05-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm starting to think (Edit: Possibly because of Cornelius' post about his Star Wars shirt and find) maybe I should go to yard sales wearing an Atari Tee Shirt and also start hitting Craigslist. It's Monday, I haven't found anything lately but I sold that broken Game Boy for $18.50 with free shipping.

I saw the discussion of Goodwills and Salvation Army stores in the last page. I can't speak for what it's like lately outside my little part of Pennsylvania, we all know 2003-2006 or so was a golden time in yard sales (and I had a good finds in both stores then) but I'll keep the subject in mind for future replies.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

13 days since the last find and this is all I got so far:

Yard Sales:

DS:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue (W/case) - $2.25;
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Eplorers of Darkness (loose, with DS game carrying case) - $2.25;

I'm going to stick these on eBay.

At one yard sale, I saw a Playstation with some common games and a dusty NES (from the original owners) that they were asking $50 for. Keep in mind this is 2 weeks after buying an Atari 2600 for $3 from a man who might have been the original, 61 year old, owner. Some games are still around even if it's sparser and people seem to be holding on to games more lately.

Goodwill:

Xbox 360:

A/V and Component cable - 73¢ (counting tax.)

I might have not been vigilant enough to get there in time, wherever "there" might be.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-17-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I haven't found squat in months.

the real reason I am sharing that is because when ever I do I come across something shortly after...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Steve W (08-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I haven't found squat in months.

the real reason I am sharing that is because when ever I do I come across something shortly after...
    It's like washing your car and it almost inevitably rains the next day, breaking a dry spell. I totally get it. Good luck!

I went to three different flea markets this weekend - one was such a bust that I was the second car in the entire parking lot - I did find some things. One was this group of Super Famicom carts, from a seller that always has baskets of them for $4.99 each. The second pic is a bunch of Tomy toys from the days before all these newfangled vidya games got so popular with the kids. $13 for the three of them. The two wind-up ones work, I haven't tried out the battery operated one yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

It seems having my wife go out to yard sales by herself works best for me, since I rarely find anything. This week she came back with a couple GameCube games and one of those giant cloth Legend of Zelda posters.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Steve W, how often do we find imports in the wild? I can think of two instances for me, once being in this thread with the NGPC games; the other time is when I found a Virtual Boy, the stand, controller (with hard buttons from someone spilling soda into it; probably the reason why it was donated but it was easily fixed) and one baseball import for $3 at a Goodwill back in 2005 or 2006. Then again, I'm in rural Pennsylvania over 50 miles from Pittsburgh.

I haven't found anything game related lately, it's all just a bunch of PS2 or PS3 generation games in the stores so I'm keeping my eye open for various games from those generations. My Atari generation coaxial cable adapter arrived from eBay, however, and Father's finding non-gaming items to resell.

I'm surprised I never bought one of these 12 years ago.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-21-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Honestly, back in the late "aughts" I used to find imports all the freakin' time in the wild. Seriously, I've come across a couple Japanese Mega CD games (no discs in the case and the flea market vendor didn't speak English so I couldn't get any info where the discs went to), a Japanese Dreamcast (only realized that later because there was a blank cover instead of a modem), many European games for all sorts of consoles, and those are just the ones I've passed on. Nowadays I rarely ever go looking in the wild since there's no point but in the recent past I have bought a bunch of imports just because I know it's something I can't find normally (and especially if it's cheap). The Super Famicom games I bought down in Lafayette, Louisiana at a flea market but I generally find imports around Dallas. I'm always amazed when I come across any of these things. How did a boxed mouse for the Japanese NEC PC-88 line of computers end up in a flea market in Texas? It's only $4? I'll take it, just in case I come across a use for it. These things just seem to flow into this area, and I have no idea why. Do I need a PS1 that's UK only and has a SCART output? No, but it's pretty cool to own it and the games that were donated with it. Especially if they're being sold cheap. I did have to visit all four locations of this local thrift store chain just to find all the games and pieces of the system.

A lot of stores around Dallas have imports, too. Most of the retro game stores have at least a few of them. When the PSP and Nintendo DS hit the market, a chain called Fry's Electronics fluffed out their shelves with Japanese imports for them. That was cool. It's shocklingly easy to come across imports in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve W For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Huh. I suppose you have many more people interested in imports in your part of Texas than I do here. The second time I found imports, I only got them off a fellow from Arkansas who was moving out of his apartment.

Today, I just found:

1 Slim PS2 (no controllers, memory cards or wires; )
    1 Wired 360 Controller (Translucent, missing second part of cable; )
    1 Wireless 360 controller (Black, missing battery pack.)

Paid $7 from a small thrift store.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-27-2018 at 02:31 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Slate For This Useful Post:

mkenyon2 (12-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Nothing spectacular; everything here's loose.

Atari 2600:

Keystone Kapers - $1

Colecovision:

Mouse Trap - $1
    Venture - $1

NES:

Super Glove Ball - $3

Plus tax. I bought these from The Exchange in Monroeville. Not really good enough to be considered a "find," IMHO; they're low priced commons. At least I have something that can use the power glove now, however.

As a footnote, this is the first day I've seen CDI Games in person; I also saw a 3DO game, a Turbpografx-16, Lynx games and four different NES Power Sets all within 2 miles of each other. Nothing, however, was "in the wild."

Edit / Update: I'm heading to a flea market tomorrow, the 25th. Maybe I'll find something at least lower than eBay pricing.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-24-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    I saw the discussion of Goodwills and Salvation Army stores in the last page. I can't speak for what it's like lately outside my little part of Pennsylvania, we all know 2003-2006 or so was a golden time in yard sales (and I had a good finds in both stores then) but I'll keep the subject in mind for future replies.

- Austin
    I could go on a bit more for the Salvation Army when it first opened in the new location. Before it opened it needed to be full of merchandise for sale on opening day, but because it wasn't open yet it couldn't accept donations. To fill the store they got the merchandise from another location further north, specifically it was extra donations that were stored in that location's basement for many years. As everything was donated many years earlier, it was better stuff. The first few days after it opened were really good, I found a really good game on opening day which I'm quite happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Steve W, how often do we find imports in the wild?
    I used to come across import stuff pretty regularly years back, there's a large Asian population around my area(being near Toronto) and being a heavily populated region in general also helped quite a bit. Platforms include Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Master System, Gameboy, Game Gear, PC Engine, Playstation, Dreamcast, etc. Even UK releases, not just Asian imports. I found plenty years back, including Virtual Boy as Japanese games were sold locally in Electronics Boutique back when the system was being cleared out. It's mostly died off though as finding anything game related is becoming difficult, but it still occasionally happens.

I also managed to find some games recently so I thought I'd take pictures. First from the local Salvation Army on the 23rd, they're complete and were priced $3.99 each but I was able to use a $10 off coupon so it cost $13.94 total. I don't find games worth buying here too often so it was a nice surprise.

And here's some stuff I found earlier from Value Village on the 21st. It's really rare to find any game stuff this old there, I'm especially happy with the hint book and that puzzle. I don't know if I have the hint book already or not, I know I have the game boxed with instructions but can't remember about the guide. For those who can't tell from the picture what that puzzle is, it's the Nintendo Challenge Dice originally from 1969. Really surprised to find it, but sadly the case is cracked and two of the pins are missing the coloured discs so it's not perfect. Interestingly, the instructions with it are in English and call it the Challenge Dice, this was mostly known as the Chaotic Cube outside Japan so it appears to be a rarer release(or at least the instructions are). I really wish the original box was included as it could be different from what's currently known to exist.

More info;
    http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/08/...dice-1969.html
    http://blog.beforemario.com/2012/01/...e-western.html

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-27-2018), Steve W (08-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Wow, that Challenge Dice puzzle is a seriously cool find. I'd never even heard of such a thing, but now I'm pretty impressed that you found one and that the only things wrong with it are that two color stickers fell off and the plastic case got brittle and cracked during its nearly 50 years of existence. People generally don't treat things like that very well, let alone hang on to them for half a century instead of just chucking them in the trash. I'm totally jealous right now. Are there modern reproductions of those things? I really want to play with one now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Is anyone on here in the Columbus, Ohio area? I saw this on Craigslist; a very yellow SNES, a Genesis and PS2 all in unknown working order + a bunch of PS2 games for $30 but I'm not gonna go 250 miles just to pick it up:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/vgm/...681909902.html

There's also a Genesis 2 and Sega CD 2 with no wires or controllers for $40 in the same area; that's an easy way to disguise non working systems, however:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/vgm/...671205573.html

Whensoever I look on CL in my area lately (though I expect it to change) I see mostly nothing but the same old stuff at eBay pricing (and, occasionally, ridiculously higher) that just sits, sits, sits, sits, sits, sits and sits. If I just buy a SNES or some lot like the $30 lot I'll be pleased with it.

Oh and my finds lately? Not much although I am grateful that I got anything:

Atari 2600 Light 6er (Paper inside says "August 1980")
    2 Joysticks
    Paddle Controllers
    Asteroids
    Pac-Man

The system needed me to spray contact cleaner through the reset switch. It's OK now.

$20

Game Boy: Bass Fishing
    SMS: Hang On/Safari Hunt

$2.12

I just wanted something to test systems with in event I find anything. I picked up these last two at The Exchange on 2973 W Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh where I (unusually) saw a few more common Jaguar CD games for the first time. There was also a $10 CDI title.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 08-28-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

still bubkis...

I did order some thing on ebay but that's not really a "find"

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Wow, that Challenge Dice puzzle is a seriously cool find. I'd never even heard of such a thing, but now I'm pretty impressed that you found one and that the only things wrong with it are that two color stickers fell off and the plastic case got brittle and cracked during its nearly 50 years of existence. People generally don't treat things like that very well, let alone hang on to them for half a century instead of just chucking them in the trash. I'm totally jealous right now. Are there modern reproductions of those things? I really want to play with one now.
    Thanks, I'm pretty happy with finding it too. I'm not sure if there's a modern release of the puzzle, I do believe Nintendo re-released their Ten Billion Barrel puzzle somewhat recently as a Club Nintendo item. I'd just like to point out that the coloured pieces aren't stickers, they seem to be metal discs glued to the pins. Honestly I think it was dropped at some point which cracked the case and knocked the discs loose from the glue that held them. It might have just happened in the thrift store but I couldn't find the pieces anywhere and I did search for them as best I could.

Also I decided to check out the Salvation Army again earlier today just to see if anything new turned up, no worthwhile games but I did end up getting some DVDs. The Rurouni Kenshin Premium Box sets 1-3 being the most notable. I remember watching the OVAs and a few episodes years ago so I felt picking up the sets were worthwhile. I should mention, the packaging for these sets are incredibly cheap and the discs are in stiff sleeves which tend to scratch the discs, I just wish it was better quality. Everything pictured cost me $30.95 total after using a couple coupons. I also remember watching that Myths and Logic documentary ages ago and liking it, so now I have a legit DVD of it.