Thread: Pier Solar HD for Xbox 360, PC, Linux, Mac and Dreamcast - Kickstarter fundraiser

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pier Solar HD for Xbox 360, PC, Linux, Mac and Dreamcast - Kickstarter fundraiser

Hi and sorry for the shameless plug.

I just wanted to let you know WaterMelon has started a Kickstarter fundraiser for Pier Solar HD for Xbox 360, PC, Linux, Mac and Dreamcast. Pier Solar is our homebrew Sega Genesis/Mega Drive RPG which has become a very successful and well-received instant classic in the retro market. You can read all about the fundraiser at its site:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-mac-linux-and

Thanks for taking a look and sorry again for the shameless plug.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Why not just buy a license to use an already existing Genesis emulator (for the Dreamcast) and sell it that way? It can't be that expensive. And most of the emulation work would already be done.

The rest, yeah, that needs some more funding.

And sorry for complaining, but you should really get whoever's doing the redrawn art to... redraw it. It looks like a high definition touch-up job - kinda off. That picture of the girl looks weird as heck.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 11-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Why not just buy a license to use an already existing Genesis emulator (for the Dreamcast) and sell it that way? It can't be that expensive. And most of the emulation work would already be done.

The rest, yeah, that needs some more funding.

And sorry for complaining, but you should really get whoever's doing the redrawn art to... redraw it. It looks like a high definition touch-up job - kinda off. That picture of the girl looks weird as heck.
    I don't think those Genesis emulators for Dreamcast can display HD graphics, can they? The sound would be horrible, that much I know.

The redrawn art is just an example on how it MAY look like, not the final stuff (like with all unreleased projects). I actually like the redrawn Alina cutscene, maybe it is a bit too flashy though.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The flashy stuff is fine. However... it just looks like someone traced an existing image and touched it up. So it just doesn't look -right-.

Good luck with this project. Hopefully you'll get the money you need, and then some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So long as someone who is involved with the game is reading this thread, I have a question about the Genesis version. At one point in the game, you get a URL. When I went to that URL, I was asked for an e-mail address. I put my address in and all I got was a message saying that I would hear from someone soon. I never heard anything. What was that about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kitsune Sniper: Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    So long as someone who is involved with the game is reading this thread, I have a question about the Genesis version. At one point in the game, you get a URL. When I went to that URL, I was asked for an e-mail address. I put my address in and all I got was a message saying that I would hear from someone soon. I never heard anything. What was that about?
    Was that the slippery challenge you completed? It was a contest, whoever was first would win a prize. I guess we should have made a clarification stating when we no longer accept emails regarding that. Maybe you did get a reply, but it entered your spam folder, like many of our mails unfortunately do.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    The flashy stuff is fine. However... it just looks like someone traced an existing image and touched it up. So it just doesn't look -right-.

Good luck with this project. Hopefully you'll get the money you need, and then some.
    Hi,

I'm the original artist who handled the final character designs and cutscene art of the MD version/pixel art. I've also done the same for the HD version. When it comes to the colors style, it is the decision of the Art director to follow that direction (to keep the same style as the rest of the game). I colored the image with cell animation styled solid colors.
    When it comes purely to the lineart, I honestly don't know what you mean by traced above an existing image. I'm a professional animator and as with any image which is cleaned, the final result is always redrawn (not simply traced) by placing it above a sketch with rough lines. I'd be interested to know what looks off to you (eventhough this character art is final for me because anatomically correct and correctly traced with upstrokes and downstrokes.)
    When seen at 20/30%, the pixel art and hd version character look the same, except the hd picture miss that matte/grainy look of the sd pixel art (which could be in some way be restored but again it's the decision of the art director).
    Last edited by Arm; 11-09-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just an update. We're currently up to 91k - well on our way to reaching our goal. That's stunning. Thanks so much to everyone who donated! We've still got lots of time left, but if you're thinking of backing the project we'd really appreciate it. We promise it'll be worth the wait!

Cheers everyone!
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com