Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you find Atari, SNES, or other cartridges underground with a metal detector???

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Leave out the metal rings, they might attract hedgehogs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't see why not if you're good with working on such things. Just put a piece of sticker on a chip and note which it is, what game, and where it goes, and then just heat up the solder and pop it off the game. A teeny chip is far smaller than a cart with the housing, You'll just need to have the right exact board to drop the chips back onto. Mind you if this is about 'value' most these money hungry scalpers (and really they all are even as collectors talking $ value of it) they get the most ants in the pants for an unstained plastic clam shell and a label as close to off the factory floor nice as possible. I've seen expensive games get not much just as chips, though if they're re-attached to a board with a good shell with the original label there, then you're in the money.

I'm starting to get an idea where you're going with this.

Stay away from plastic for the final tomb for the things, go with metal, stone or concrete with a solid seal that's precision cut, any gaps will allow air/moisture within. I would though not if I'm thinking right remove the games off the boards let alone out of their cartridges. I would remove the battery for a game that had one within, store it with the game to the side, or just go without. You don't want the acids from that eating into the rest.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't see why not if you're good with working on such things. Just put a piece of sticker on a chip and note which it is, what game, and where it goes, and then just heat up the solder and pop it off the game. A teeny chip is far smaller than a cart with the housing, You'll just need to have the right exact board to drop the chips back onto. Mind you if this is about 'value' most these money hungry scalpers (and really they all are even as collectors talking $ value of it) they get the most ants in the pants for an unstained plastic clam shell and a label as close to off the factory floor nice as possible. I've seen expensive games get not much just as chips, though if they're re-attached to a board with a good shell with the original label there, then you're in the money.

I'm starting to get an idea where you're going with this.

Stay away from plastic for the final tomb for the things, go with metal, stone or concrete with a solid seal that's precision cut, any gaps will allow air/moisture within. I would though not if I'm thinking right remove the games off the boards let alone out of their cartridges. I would remove the battery for a game that had one within, store it with the game to the side, or just go without. You don't want the acids from that eating into the rest.
    So, what's the hypothesis... a form of game mummification like a buried deposit box in order to have preserved rarities to sell for profit in decades?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    So, what's the hypothesis... a form of game mummification like a buried deposit box in order to have preserved rarities to sell for profit in decades?
    Centuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Time capsule of some sort.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ogreatgames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow

@celerystalker 1st question no but that is a good idea 2nd question no I would not freeze myself for games 3rd question no @bb_hood I think the main animal to actually consider would be a gopher but I do not think theres an abundance of them in the desert or mountains. @Tanooki thanks for the added tips to have the games right side up and that it would be wise to avoid plastic in this case @2ndcelerystalker No @Emperor_Megas This box should last centuries. @2ndTanooki yes it can be considered a time capsule

Ok What I learned thus far
    1. Stay away from plastic for the main box
    2. Make sure the box has 2 metal rings large enough to be picked up by a metal detector
    3. Store the cartridges upright or on its side depending on where the motherboard is & remove the save batteries
    4. Plug up the metal box and then it can be sealed in concrete (as long as the box is not weak it should not get crushed under the pressure of the concrete) to keep out moisture too
    5. Bury it in either the desert or mountains (where ever minimal erosion occurs)
    Side Note: For any disc games it would be wise to put in individual metal cases

Again desert draw back is it can be hard to find and mountains just have a lot of animals. So mountains are the best choice but if there's a way to better track an item in the desert it beats mountains by a landslide.

Critically thought about ocean question and realized all games would be demolished in the ocean due to the high salt.
    And finally "long time" are only a few centuries before what comes from the earth returns to the earth.

The only thing missing is a clearer way to track does anyone have ways to track other than landmarks which will change drastically in time?
    http://www.ogreatgames.com Hey check out Ogreatgames for video games and much more!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Arrow

If we're talking centuries here, there may be entirely different technology in use for detection and excavation of metals and the like. If it's meant to be found in centuries, documentation of the event and ownership of the land are bigger factors to consider. With population growth, the building of an office building or neighborhood could unearth whatever the heck this cryptic project is prematurely. Continued and uninterrupted stewardship of the property would be critical safeguards.

Now, back to the more farcical side of my questioning, are you sure you aren't secretly planning a North American or European pyramid tomb where you can be mummified and one day rise and play your games like an eccentric billionaire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    try it. take a dirt common game and bury it
    I don't know if this is a joke or a Freudian slip. Works either way

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ogreatgames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@celerystalker No I do not believe in burying objects with me if I am dead @Atarileaf I just got that after you pointed it out.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!
    http://www.ogreatgames.com Hey check out Ogreatgames for video games and much more!