Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic 1 vs. Mario World

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Sonic 1 vs. Mario World

Which is technically better, which do you like better?

2 of the greatest games of all time for sure. Personally I go with Sonic 1 because in 1991 it was new, fresh, fast, and just damn cool. Super Mario World felt a little too similar to Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1991. Which of course is not a bad thing at all. It's just, it might as well have been called Super Mario Bros. 4, which it was in Japan

Kind of like how Sonic & Knuckles is basically Sonic the Hedgehog 4, still a great game, but the series getting a little long in the tooth. In 1991 that is how I felt about Mario World, I had already played Mario 1-3 and wanted something new, enter Sonic.

I think both games deserve a perfect score though.

I think Mario World is the more difficult game. Longer and more difficult than Sonic 1. Graphically I have to give the nod to Sonic. Gameplay, Sonic, and even music, Sonic. I just overall like Sonic 1 slightly more than SMW.

Of course I guess we are all partial to which game we chose to buy / play in 1991. Anyone lucky enough to have both a Genesis and SNES in 1991 and play both of these games at the same time? I was only 10 in 1991 so could only afford 1 system.

btw, 1991 was 20 years ago already. Damn.

Just checked Wikipedia and Sonic 1 came out exactly 2 months before Mario World in the US. Imagine if Nintendo had released the SNES and Mario World in the US before Sonic, Sonic may have never caught on and became popular.
    Last edited by Kevincal; 10-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    Which is technically better, which do you like better?

2 of the greatest games of all time for sure. Personally I go with Sonic 1 because in 1991 it was new, fresh, fast, and just damn cool. Super Mario World felt a little too similar to Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1991. Which of course is not a bad thing at all. It's just, it might as well have been called Super Mario Bros. 4

Kind of like how Sonic & Knuckles is basically Sonic the Hedgehog 4, still a great game, but the series getting a little long in the tooth. In 1991 that is how I felt about Mario World, I had already played Mario 1-3 and wanted something new, enter Sonic.

I think both games deserve a perfect score though.

I think Mario World is the more difficult game. Longer and more difficult than Sonic 1. Graphically I have to give the nod to Sonic. Gameplay, Sonic, and even music, Sonic. I just overall like Sonic 1 slightly more than SMW.

Of course I guess we are all partial to which game we chose to buy / play in 1991. Anyone lucky enough to have both a Genesis and SNES in 1991 and play both of these games at the same time? I was only 10 in 1991 so could only afford 1 system.

btw, 1991 was 20 years ago already. Damn.
    Super Mario World is called Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan.

Sonic & Knuckles was so similar to Sonic 3, that they decided to make the cart as an add-on for Sonic 3.

Sonic 1 looks better and plays faster, but Mario World is more of an adventure and expansive. I really love the world map, and being able to replay levels.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    It's just, it might as well have been called Super Mario Bros. 4
    It was. It's on the Japanese packaging.

I'd pick World, but, honestly, I think both get a little more credit than they deserve. Maybe if I had played them when they were new, I'd feel different, but since I played both roughly within the past decade, I don't have that nostalgia that everyone else does. I enjoyed both, but Super Mario World is too easy and has some awkward elements (not that crazy about the cape, Yoshi, the football player enemies, etc.), while Sonic isn't remotely as fast as his reputation makes him out to be (outside of a few stages, many force you to a crawl). I also hate the Labyrinth Zone in Sonic, and it sucks that the game has no passwords or saving.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Super Mario World is called Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan.

Sonic & Knuckles was so similar to Sonic 3, that they decided to make the cart as an add-on for Sonic 3.

Sonic 1 looks better and plays faster, but Mario World is more of an adventure and expansive. I really love the world map, and being able to replay levels.
    Not entirely true. Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles were originally intended to be one game, but was split into two to get Sonic 3 out in time for the Christmas rush.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario World kept me entertained for a lot longer than Sonic the Hedgehog, since the overworld made it less linear and the save sytem allowed more flexibility in how and when I played it.
    Being able to play with another person also helped enormously.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love both, but I'd give the nod to Super Mario World. To me, the first Sonic game was great, but not quite on the level with the best of everyone's favorite plumber. Sonic 2 is really where the series established itself as a true competitor to Mario.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario World for me. I liked the non-linearity, the replayability, which all the secrets added to as well. I liked the graphics/world itself more.

That said, I did have both consoles during this time, and while it seemed like they were constantly coming out with new Sonic games, by the time SMW finally got a sequel, I was already moved on to PC gaming pretty heavily. So through that period I'm sure I played much more Sonic, even though I preferred SMW to any individual Sonic game.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

While I love Sonic 1; I'd say the edge goes to SMW simply because of the sheer size of the game. Hidden paths and worlds whereas Sonic follows a totally linear path excepting the different paths you can take through the levels. Both good games for sure but I do think that SMW has Sonic beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For me, I was a hardcore Mario Bros. 3 fan when the time came to choose between buying a SNES and Genesis. I ended up buying the cheaper Genesis w/ Sonic 1, I will never forget when I got home and played Sonic 1 for the first time, I was so blown away by the graphics. The speed and color was just unreal. My friends and I were just smiling ear to ear amazed at how awesome this game was. Let's not forget the music, incredibly awesome music. The control and play mechanics was perfect as well. As was the story.

I actually prefer a shorter and easier game such as sonic over a longer and more difficult game like Mario World. For instance, I hated so much the forest area of Mario World, for a long time I could not figure out how to progress. This is the same reason I am not a huge Zelda fan, those games are huge, large and very challenging to complete. I guess I have a short attention span, but I really do prefer easier games with flash over huge games with lots of substance.

Resident Evil 1 is another example, I bought that game around its release in 1996 and it was fun, until it became too challenging and I would just always end up getting lost, not knowing what to do, frustrated. I tried to revisit this game recently and the same thing, the game became too difficult for me. I get frustrated easily when games become very difficult and confusing. That is what I love about Sonic, it is just pure straightforward gaming.

I have to say also that I prefer Mario Bros. 3 over Mario World. I guess it's mostly for nostalgia.

There are only a handful of games that truly amazed me awith their awesomeness at the time of their release. Mario Bros. 1, Mario Bros. 3, Sonic 1, Mario 64 & Gran Turismo 3.

Honorable mention to Ridge Racer on the PlayStation & Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. Among a lot of others. :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario World runs rings (heh heh, get it?) around Sonic the Hedgehog. I was lucky enough to have a Super NES sitting under the tree Christmas morning 1991 and I don't think I've ever been impacted before or since quite like I was on that glorious day. It may be slower than Sonic but the worlds and colors are so beautiful and the music was magical to me also. I remember playing each save file to 96 worlds and taking my SNES on family vacation and rocking out on some Mario World in the hotel rooms that we stayed in. Even years later I played it with my best friend just to see if we could get all 96 worlds in one sitting. We did it in a few hours and still had a ball doing it. I never played Sonic to completion, even when I had the time and attention span to do so. And @ Aussie2B: Call me crazy, but I loved the cape, Yoshi, and the football player Koopas
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both are great games with pretty significant flaws.

Super Mario World is thought of as a much larger/longer game, but I think that's true to a lesser extent when you really look at it. Mario moves kinda slow, making the same stretch "seem" longer. When I play Super Mario World, I find myself continuously holding down the run button, which to me indicates that they did something wrong. Each area would contain rather similar levels grouped together, and further repetition with the ghost houses and castles. Some of the levels were basically straight lines, and some were extremely short. I didn't mind Yoshi, but I don't feel he really added much to the game either, and the cape feels like a lamer version of the raccoon. I didn't like the "!" blocks/rooms, which felt pointless. The "secrets" where you take a key to a keyhole sound better on paper than they actually are. In practice, when I play the game, I skip most of the secrets and the Star Road. Most of the bosses are pretty lame, too, and the game overall is on the easy side.

Sonic's levels are much more detailed, vibrant, and interesting. But there's still some repetitiveness in having three acts to each zone. I like the special stage aspect of the game, but the special stages themselves are just okay. Arguably the game is a little too short and basic. But I find myself coming back to it to try to beat my times, an element of replayability that SMW doesn't have. I also think Sonic has much better music.

Pretty much a tie, in my eyes. As an aside, I think it's interesting that Super Mario World has a somewhat better critical reputation, but Sonic was much more influential. With games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Socket, Zool, Kid Chaos, Awesome Possum, etc. it seemed like everyone was ripping him off. You can see a lasting influence in games like Crash Bandicoot (and even the commercials for Crash Bandicoot).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    ...and the cape feels like a lamer version of the raccoon.
    I always thought that the cape was a wonderful expansion of the raccoon suit. You could stay in the air a lot longer with the cape, from one end of a level to another if your flying skills were good
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Despite my username, I've never been a huge fan of the hedgehog. SMW over Sonic 1 and it's not even close. I think SMW is my favorite platformer of all the times.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Pretty much a tie, in my eyes. As an aside, I think it's interesting that Super Mario World has a somewhat better critical reputation, but Sonic was much more influential. With games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Socket, Zool, Kid Chaos, Awesome Possum, etc. it seemed like everyone was ripping him off. You can see a lasting influence in games like Crash Bandicoot (and even the commercials for Crash Bandicoot).
    That has me curious, though, when exactly did the rip-offs start springing up? How many came before Sonic 2? While the first Sonic was successful and well-liked, most Sonic fans seem to think that the series really took off with 2. Perhaps it was Sonic 2 that really cemented the idea in the industry that Sonic's style was the future, making everybody want a piece of that pie.

In terms of influence, it's not really a fair comparison, though. Super Mario World had no chance of having the same kind of impact since it was the 4th in the series and just building off of past ideas. Sonic was brand new and fresh. The real Mario influence stems from the first Super Mario Bros., and perhaps 3 as well. Sonic itself wouldn't exist without the first Mario. Basically all platformers owe a little to Mario considering the genre was mostly nonexistent before that, so its influence stretches farther than Sonic's, just it's not coming from World.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

J_factor brings up a great point regarding Mario games and the run Button, I also find myself holding that down the whole time I am playing. I wonder what it would of been like with a walk button instead.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I've got to go with Sonic 1 since I've played it more than Super Mario World. I just like it better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That has me curious, though, when exactly did the rip-offs start springing up? How many came before Sonic 2? While the first Sonic was successful and well-liked, most Sonic fans seem to think that the series really took off with 2. Perhaps it was Sonic 2 that really cemented the idea in the industry that Sonic's style was the future, making everybody want a piece of that pie.
    Perhaps. It's a little complicated by the fact that Sonic 2 came only a year after the first (ok, maybe more like 16 months), and in terms of stylistic elements isn't very distinct from it. Also consider that there were two Sonic 1's, with the 8-bit version very popular in Europe. You could argue that all of these games were influenced by Sonic generally, rather than specifically Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis.

But still, when I look at 2d platformers in general from ~1992 on, I see a lot more direct influence from Sonic than from Super Mario World, or Mario generally.

In terms of influence, it's not really a fair comparison, though. Super Mario World had no chance of having the same kind of impact since it was the 4th in the series and just building off of past ideas. Sonic was brand new and fresh. The real Mario influence stems from the first Super Mario Bros., and perhaps 3 as well. Sonic itself wouldn't exist without the first Mario. Basically all platformers owe a little to Mario considering the genre was mostly nonexistent before that, so its influence stretches farther than Sonic's, just it's not coming from World.
    It's absolutely a fair comparison in my view. Some of the most influential games of all time are sequels. Super Mario 64 and Street Fighter II, for starters. Super Mario World has plenty of elements that could have been copied. They just weren't, at least not widely. The Donkey Kong Country series was definitely influenced by it. Not much else was.

Sonic wouldn't exist without Mario, but it was developed as a response to Mario, not as a game that was influenced by it. Super Mario Bros. itself was preceded by Pac-Land, Pitfall!, Jungle King, etc. and Legend of Kage came out around the same time. That's not to say that Super Mario Bros. wasn't highly influential, just not quite in the way that you're suggesting, IMO.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If World had been vastly different from its predecessors like Street Fighter II and Super Mario 64 were, it could've perhaps been influential, but I just don't think it has enough original ideas to make any waves. In my eyes, it's basically a not-as-good version of Super Mario Bros. 3, with fancier graphics and a more pandering difficulty level. Yoshi is probably the most notable addition, yet even that isn't a far cry from, say, the dinosaurs in the Adventure Island series.

As for platformer influence, I'd say it's cumulative. All platformers that aimed to rip-off Sonic were still taking after Mario in a way as well. In some it was really obvious, like how Croc stole both Mario's ?-boxes AND Sonic's ring concept (except with gems).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like SMW, it's just not nearly as good as SMB3, not even close. Sonic 1 was pretty good for the time but Sonic 2 blew it out of the water and everything else imho.

I thought that Sonic 3 kinda sucked but S&K more than made up for that.
    Go, go Ackman!