Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Pier Solar, the new Genesis RPG can now be pre-ordered!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just broke down and put the first CDR in my Sega CD model 1 since I region modified my Sonic CD Jpn. Holy crap does Youtube not capture the essence of how the CD music is different than the FM+PSG. I feel like I did when I first heard Master System FM on real hardware, it's surreal.

I haven't looked into it much, but is the CD using audio samples or ... crap it just locked up during the attract mode, at least it caught up after the scene change .. or is it using the Ricoh chip in the Sega CD?

Wow, some of the sound effects are improved as well. On my Dolby Prologic system set to "effects off" the sound from the workers on the roof in the home town slowly migrated from the right side of the room to the center as I approached them just now with the PCM setting on. Nice!

...and it just locked up and made a crunching sound again. No more CDRs for me unless I want to hook up my Sega CD 2 or X'eye!
    Last edited by sheath; 03-19-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Just got my cart in the mail Monday. I love the presentation-case, instructions, cartridge. Very professional. Unfortunately I may not be able to play it for a bit as my free time is being used for play practice. Soon....soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I ordered a reprint and cannot wait! Cover looks fantastic
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Finally got a chance to sit down with the game. Love it! The old concepts of having to actually "grind" (to use a modern term) is pretty addictive. "Just one more encounter so I can get more gold to buy some armor". Graphics are top notch and look great with my S-video modded Model 1.

As for the soundtrack, the Sony CD-Rs I have tend to get "stuck" (plays a song then skips in place a bit then starts over). I used an ISO that someone in a Pier Solar thread offered. Someone recommended JVC CD-Rs but if anyone has any other suggestions on how to get the CD soundtrack to work, I'd appreciate it. What I heard sounded magnificent.

I kick myself for not jumping on board sooner to get the collector's edition but judging on the little I played-well worth the cash for the reprint. Now I gotta find a place on my TV stand to squeeze my Genny w/ Model 1 CD unit onto.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Finally got a chance to sit down with the game. Love it! The old concepts of having to actually "grind" (to use a modern term) is pretty addictive. "Just one more encounter so I can get more gold to buy some armor". Graphics are top notch and look great with my S-video modded Model 1.

As for the soundtrack, the Sony CD-Rs I have tend to get "stuck" (plays a song then skips in place a bit then starts over). I used an ISO that someone in a Pier Solar thread offered. Someone recommended JVC CD-Rs but if anyone has any other suggestions on how to get the CD soundtrack to work, I'd appreciate it. What I heard sounded magnificent.

I kick myself for not jumping on board sooner to get the collector's edition but judging on the little I played-well worth the cash for the reprint. Now I gotta find a place on my TV stand to squeeze my Genny w/ Model 1 CD unit onto.
    Grinding is one way to approach the game but it's not really necessary. Careful attention to strategy, the types of items you're carrying, enemy weakness and armor set ups will get you pretty far.

We actually have one guy on the forums attempting to play through the entire game fighting only the required fights. He's managed to get pretty far too.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

"Nobody's perfect. Well there was this one guy. But we killed him."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider View Post
    Grinding is one way to approach the game but it's not really necessary. Careful attention to strategy, the types of items you're carrying, enemy weakness and armor set ups will get you pretty far.

We actually have one guy on the forums attempting to play through the entire game fighting only the required fights. He's managed to get pretty far too.
    Very interesting. I guess I'm used to how things were with past RPGs that I really don't mind the grinding. Give me that feeling of possible failure that many modern games lack. I hope to get more time with it soon.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game started out fun, took a horrible turn into hair-pulling frustration, and has gone back to fun now. The floating platform puzzles just... gah. Of course I haven't spent enough time working my way thru the next major dungeon, so I dunno if all the slides are going to drive me crazy next or not. I'm actually pretty bummed that I never get too long to play the game (wish I had a nomad w/ a rechargable battery pack) b/c thinking about the crazy kinds of cash this game has sold for makes me almost kick myself for opening and playing it. Almost. (What can I say besides this economy sucks and if someone has $300 to spend, I could really use having them spend it on my stuff, ) It's a good game, certainly, but not $300 good. XD
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I just took the plunge. I bought Beggar Prince a couple years ago, never actually got around to playing it. Hopefully I can avoid that with this game, it looks really cool. Of course, it doesn't help that my poor Genesis is buried under a stack of other games. I really need a better set up for my stuff.

Maybe I'll forget I ordered this by the time it actually arrives and it'll be a nice little surprise. I'll let you all know in about a month and a half, I suppose.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beggar Prince is a good game. Pier Solar has all the makings of being something else entirely. I wish I was enough of an RPG fan to have played straight through it to find out for sure. It has yet to draw me in that way, but I can say the same of Final Fantasy III/VI and Chrono Trigger.

For some reason, only the early US released turn based RPGs ever captured my attention. I think it is because dialog does not improve a story to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got my reprint edition the other day. Did anyone else have a damaged manual in theirs? I emailed the Pier Solar team a few days ago...no response

Also tried burning the Iso that Watermelon provided...but it doesn't seem to want to work on my CDX

Double failure.... *sigh*
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I got an e-mail from Watermelon saying that they're awaiting my payment, but I payed with PayPal when I placed my order. I even have the receipt e-mail from PayPal, saying that the payment has gone through.

The Watermelon e-mail says that I'll get a payment confirmation e-mail, but I haven't gotten one yet. Should I try to get in touch with them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, please use the contact form on our site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, Zebbe, will do.

EDIT: Derp! Upon further inspection, the e-mail I got from PayPal says that my payment is in the process of going through, and it should be good in the next couple of days.
    Last edited by Rev. Link; 03-28-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In case anyone's wondering about the masochist attempting to beat the game without fighting any of the optional battles - looks like he finally made it. Game beaten at level six.

O.O

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewt...=1836&start=15
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't want to be off topic, but I wanted to reiterate my plea for a new SNES RPG. I swear, if you guys announce work on an snes rpg game, I'll be the first one to order. There'd probably be tons of interest in such a game.

thanks again for your great work with Pier Solar, and hopefully, and some point down the line you guys with do business with the snes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There won't be an SNES RPG. We have no experience with the SNES, it's much harder and more expensive to develop for, and most if not all of us in the team prefer the Mega Drive. It took six years to make a Mega Drive RPG, maybe it wouldn't take as long to do it for SNES since it would be our second game, but too bloody long anyway. Next game will be something quicker and shorter, but still just as good as Pier Solar.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just ordered a reprinted copy, and I can't wait. This is my first homebrew Genesis game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Zebbe....what are the chances of getting a replacement manual for my reprint edition? I emailed thru the site but got no response...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When did you mail? Fonzie gets many mails every day, and it takes time for him to answer all of them, but eventually all get replied to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I ordered mine sometime last month. After seeing the 45 day print cycles I'll probably see it around May/June...

Sad panda. Plenty of time to fix my SegaCD though.