Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Default Too Old For Online Gaming?

I recently downloaded the remake of 3rd Strike and was excited at the prospect of finally being able to play it online. Well, after putting a good bit of time in to the game I've come to the realization that I may just be too old for competitive online games. My reflexes seem a lot slower and the players seem a lot better. I pretty much get destroyed more times than not.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Are there any games, or genres, that you find frustrating, overly complicated, and/or less entertaining than you did when you were younger? Have your views/feelings about online multi-player changed at all as you've gotten older? It sucks to come to and accept the realization that you can't hang with the youngsters anymore.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

How good were you at Third Strike before? Because it's been a couple weeks since its release, and a lot of the more hardcore 3rd Strike players stuck with it and are still playing online. A lot of the people who downloaded it and realized that it's a game that you have to put quite some time into dropped it.

I personally think you most likely haven't played in awhile. I'm sure you can get back to being where you want to be if you just put time into it. Either that or you just ran into some good players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel like I'm too old for online gaming, in the sense that I'm not a 12 year old who says "faggot" every other sentence.

That's slightly exaggerated, but seriously, I feel like most online players nowadays are mostly younger, and mostly rude and annoying to play with. My tolerance for juvenile behavior has gotten quite low over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're younger than me and I just keep improving.

Your problem might be game specific.
    I know 3SOE has had some serious issues with matchmaking and ranking, so maybe you just got pitted against much better players.

It's also worth noting that playing 3S online feels much different than offline, so you may need to adjust to that before you get back in the groove. The serious 3S players that were already playing on the PC GGPO client have a definite advantage in that regard.
    Last edited by kedawa; 09-30-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I've been playing 3S competitively for a long time now, and for the most part, the people I run into online are other long time players. Every once in a while I come across an obvious new player, but not as often as I thought I would. There are a lot of killers prowling online. I'm pretty sure this is game specific.

Hang in there!
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 10-01-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This reminds me of Subspace. With the beginner zones dead and gone, and the over all player numbers very low, it can be extremely difficult for a new player to learn the required skills to play solidly.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    This reminds me of Subspace. With the beginner zones dead and gone, and the over all player numbers very low, it can be extremely difficult for a new player to learn the required skills to play solidly.
    Sounds like Counter-Strike Source / Day of Defeat Source on the PC to me. I got both games for free and can't even last more than five seconds alive because some guy across the map snipes me over the head with a pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I feel like I'm too old for online gaming, in the sense that I'm not a 12 year old who says "faggot" every other sentence.

That's slightly exaggerated, but seriously, I feel like most online players nowadays are mostly younger, and mostly rude and annoying to play with. My tolerance for juvenile behavior has gotten quite low over the years.
    I'm with J_Fact and Jorpho on this one. I used to play online games, but don't have the time or patience for the inane juvenile drivel that gets displayed on it. I'm sure age and reflexes might have something to do with it, but a lot of those reflexes are not age-specific but practice-specific - some of these troubled teens just don't have any other hobby but one particular game.

I'm not into one particular game. I like lots of games. I don't feel like devoting hours upon hours to mastering one specific skill / class in one specific game that's going to be outdated in five years.

If I played online with anybody, I'd prefer to play online coop games with mature folks like the people on this board. Terraria, or Neverwinter Nights, or Left 4 Dead or something like that. Forget this MMOG garbage; I'm not shelling out monthly cash to chill out with people who are n00bs IRL.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Fighting games are unplayable online because of the sheer hardcore crowd that plays them. Also the lag on most Capcom games are terrible. You either get your ass totally handed you or lag out, they're just not fun anymore unless they're in the arcades IMO.

And the crowd is...less than desirable when it comes to online gaming indeed. Personally, I think it's a bit overrated and games are better played in large groups of friends/gatherings.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

just put everyone on mute, 12 years old or not
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

"Too old", pffft.

I think it has more to do with practice than reflexes. I rarely play COD or Halo and subsequently get smoked whenever I hop online. Embarrassing...like 2 and 15 embarrassing. I play Battlefield just about every weekend and regularly rank in the top 3 each match. The older you get, the less free time you have. Your game skills erode with neglect. If you were able to play 3 hours each night like these "10-time-prestiged" kids do, you would be just as "good". That's all it is.

To all the multiplayer-phobic old dudes:

You can only talk with your squad in the Battlefield games...i.e. 3 other people max. 1000+ hours online and I've never heard one racist hillbilly or whiny 13 year old. Ever. No lobby shit talking allowed either. Halo or COD? You'll get one in the first match. Even then you can just mute them. Problem solved.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    My god, Subspace is still running?!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a matter of age, but not in a matter of "old age". I'm 30 and since I have no actual knowledge regarding your age, I'll assume the same for you.

I have a house, a job, a car, a wife and two kids. I can devote at best about 10 hours a week to ALL my games. The people you're playing with (by and large) can devote double that to a single game.

There is no way you'll ever progress to their skill level. It can't be done. Boredom is a young persons problem.

If ever you're feeling bad about your skill, break out an old fighting game that you mastered, and play somebody younger. I can't hold a candle to a kid playing COD or the fighters. But I can still lay waste to the kids in Virtua Fighter 2 and Soul Caliber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    My god, Subspace is still running?!
    Yup, however I haven't popped into Chaos Pub in a few months so I could be wrong. It's happened before. I guess someone ratted out whoever was hosting Alpha West SVS to their hosting company which they also worked for (I can't keep it all straight) and the plug got pulled. Chaos had some big hiccup a couple years ago as well with the billing server. There aren't very many zones left but Chaos is still around and that's the only place I've played for the past two years.

As for Alpha it's been gone for awhile but the amount of players there was always minuscule. No one wanted to play on that huge map with the settings fixed to be deliberately old school (grinding for greens to power up) when there were faster and more instantly rewarding zones out there.

Hell, I think I'll hop on Chaos right now.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 10-01-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Boredom is a young persons problem.
    Wow. That's... pretty darn profound, I have to say.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

@Nirvana I was....solid. I could do basic combos and chains into supers, plus all the stock moves. So, any teenager or Asian could probably have destroyed me, even back then.

@j_factor Yes, yes, 1000 times yes.

@J'orfeaux That's an awesome comic.

@kedawa I haven't really had too many lag issues. Just rage issues.

So yeah, it's probably a combination of what most of you are saying; prepubescent douchebags with big mouths, lack of practice, lack of time to devote to practice, diminished reflexes, and occasional connection issues.

For the first time in my life I feel, to a certain extent, that gaming (and online gaming in particular) has passed me by. I'm 33 for the record. Perhaps I'm hitting my curmudgeon period early.

Regarding SubSpace, it's funny that came up. David, I played in the Chaos zone under the name Navarone for years, around 98-2004 or so. I still, every so often, log in - maybe one every 3-4 months. What's your primary handle in Chaos?
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    Regarding SubSpace, it's funny that came up. David, I played in the Chaos zone under the name Navarone for years, around 98-2004 or so. I still, every so often, log in - maybe one every 3-4 months. What's your primary handle in Chaos?
    InsaneDavid under squad DeathBunny but before 2007 or so it was Evolver with no squad affiliation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Yes, I've turned my 360 on about four times since late May (Or was it June?) Most games aren't fun to me anymore. They're a waste of my time these days, If I play games too much now I get very depressed.

Austin

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I felt the same way even when I was a kid, I never got into online gaming and never saw the point to begin with. I pretty much just play games by myself, but wouldn't mind playing multiplayer in person which is pretty much the only reason why I'm keeping multitaps around. I rarely ever use them.