Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have ALL flea marketers started smoking crack or just mine?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Have ALL flea marketers started smoking crack or just mine?

Like everyone else, your local area pawn shops, goodwills, flea markets, garage sales, are all havens for finding gaming goodies. In my local area (I go to Cowtown, Zerns, and Quakertown) the flea market sellers are now smoking crack on a regular basis. 75 dollars for a NES system loose, 5-15 dollars per Common NES game, all the prices got jacked up severely. There are still bargains to be found (got a box of about 25 complete in box Intellevision games for 20 bucks) but alot of the sellers now have some crazy ideas of the value of things. What's up? Is this happening in all areas or? Did the whole retro gaming thing get people thinking ANYTHING old is valuable in gaming now? Boy hope this reverses itself soon cause it's annoying.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have Ebay to thank for this occurance my friend.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dunno... I haven't gone to the flea market since like July of last year.

I know what you mean though, I had a vendor who wanted like $33 for Contra III. Unbelievable.

Ironically, I was able to trade him 4 VHS (SFII, MK, Toshinden, S. Shodown animations) for Aero Fighters =)

Hopefully for you, you'll have better luck soon

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by theshizzle3000 View Post
    You have Ebay to thank for this occurance my friend.
    Yup and after the market dropped last year you can often find better deals on there than at some flea markets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    Yup and after the market dropped last year you can often find better deals on there than at some flea markets.
    So true. Not only that, but the games on eBay are often in better condition than what's found at the fleamarkets.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

camarotuner, if this is just now happening at Flea Markets out your way, consider yourself lucky. For most of us, prices at the fleas jumped about the time of the first airing of the infamous Antiques Roadshow with videogames on it. Check through the archives for numerous threads about flea market prices being insane.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    In my local area the flea market sellers are now smoking crack on a regular basis.
    This is probably something you should take up with your local authorities.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like you need to switch from buying from these sellers to selling to these sellers... if they're asking that much for what they have, then they should be offering quite a bit for what you have... if they aren't, then ask them where they're getting all those stellar crack rocks they're smoking...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They won't Iron Draggon. They might have a game like Final Fantasy or Contra for $20 but they will still only offer you $2 at most if you try to sell it to them. Trading can be worthwhile since a lot of them are clueless about these games beyond the well-known ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I havn't been to the San Jose Flea Market in like 15 years..I'm afrade to see something I like I find out it's like $30(Like a commen game)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Other than needing the money really badley, this is also one of the main reasons that I decided to sell my collection, prices are high right now and people are paying a lot for games. Flea Market prices are insane sometimes though, because regular vendors have kids ask them all the time if they carry classic games. Demand does not equal gold mine though, it means people are willing to buy them, but not at super-high prices.

I plan to restart my collection when the market drops for good...like when I first started...when I could find boxes of NES games for 10.00.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm View Post

I plan to restart my collection when the market drops for good...like when I first started...when I could find boxes of NES games for 10.00.
    We all are hoping for this day. The day of the great post-crash, crash.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but it's the same as Star Wars toys. Once-upon-a-time, people couldn't give them away. But over the last decade or so people have realised that SW = £. Now you go to any carboot and the Old Dear with the box of toys wants £20 for a dog chewed Vader that's missing it's left leg. You can stand there till you're blue in the face telling them it isn't worth anything, but in their eyes, it's SW so it must be worth mega bucks.

But it's also major retail stores that have jumped onto the whole retro thing. My local Gamestation will sell you a minty DC with about 3 - 4 games for £20. But a manky NES with SMB/DH will set you back £45! I shit you not. Obviously this is because 'retro is cool' and cool = £.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    We all are hoping for this day. The day of the great post-crash, crash.
    like in 2020 or so ..I don't think the Market going to Crash like in 1983

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my area noone has any games anymore, the flea market, goodwill, or anywhere. For me its not the price(stuff is rather cheap-if you can find it) its just FINDING it.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Oh,yea....Many of the vendors at my local flea market started smoking crack with their high prices....I practically write about it every week in the finds thread.

The funny thing is:..I always use that term while at the flea market with my Dad...I'll go ask a price,It'll be high with no haggling......I'll walk back over to my Dad and say,Ohh he-she's smoking crack ..I got my Dad saying it now.
    He sometimes says Pot though..[img][/img]

I even refer to some of the vendors as "the crack smoker"..(oh,F him he smokes crack)
    Last week I saw a Bezel for an Arcade machine,It was worn and could be had for a few bucks on Ebay..
    As soon as I looked at the vendor I thought to myself..Oh,no this is the guy that smokes crack...It's the same old,living out of his van,garbage picking vendor.
    He always tries to tell me that the games,systems(junk) he has for sale is the Rarest stuff.
    I just had to ask him how much he wanted for the bezel.
    .$50.00..WHAT!!!.Yea,man it's from this rare arcade machine/yet he didn't know the name of the arcade machine....He's seriously smokin crack.

Thiers this couple that I call the re-wrappers..Everything they buy they put in clear wrap,using one of those portable machines.
    They run around the flea market in the morning,buy up stuff,wrap it then quadruple the price to ridiculousness.
    They have been sitting on the same dirty wrapped NES and Dirty wrapped SNES for Months..Sometimes they want $60.00 sometimes $70.00(all depends on how big the crowd is)
    He states that the NES works(have you tested it?,No,but it works)
    They are smoking crack something fierce.....

EDIT..
    Shoot,I didn't have the Enhanced interface on...I must be smokin crack.
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 01-24-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

[QUOTE=CosmicMonkey;1121122]Yeah, but it's the same as Star Wars toys. Once-upon-a-time, people couldn't give them away. But over the last decade or so people have realised that SW = £. Now you go to any carboot and the Old Dear with the box of toys wants £20 for a dog chewed Vader that's missing it's left leg. You can stand there till you're blue in the face telling them it isn't worth anything, but in their eyes, it's SW so it must be worth mega bucks. [QUOTE]

The Star Wars stuff from the 70's and 80's I think, in really good condition, should be worth something. I mean, how many people kept their toys in the packages? Maybe I should not have asked that question.....

But the absurd 90's rush on the Star Wars figures was totally absurd. Those things were mass produced enormously, they aren't worth anything now and never will be for probably 20 years or more.

In terms of video games, I can understand the cut throat flea marketers, that's why I never go to them. I stopped 15 years ago, when I was collecting baseball cards, because they were all thieves with their prices. But the prices on ebay I find really crazy. Take NES games like Contra, why is every auction at least $15-20 for just the game? Contra was one of the highest selling titles, it is not rare in the least. I don't get it. I wish people would make a universal pact, don't bid Contra over $10, so I can buy it for $10. . I refuse to pay more than $10 for a Nintendo game (I don't buy oddball games).
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, flea market prices have been out of hand lately. This past summer, this one older couple was selling Ocarina of Time for $30. Bit of a high price, since a couple of years ago, I saw a Gamestop that had at least 10-12 copies for $9.99.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sometimes you can still find decent deals. theres a big flea market where i live. snagged a complete and excellent condition suikoden for $5 from some old guy...probibly cause he never learned to use a computer

there is also a used game dealer up there that acually has reasonable prices. got a good condition NES with controllers hookups and zapper for $20.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Our local flea market has always been a place where retro games sold for decent prices (at least in the last 3 years). I used to be one of them, asking $10-$15 for common NES titles, etc. etc. because the market would bear it. Over the last few years, the local market was flooded and in order to compete I had to drop my prices $5-$10 (might as well keep with the common NES scale). This worked for a while and I eventually opened my store. Now, due to a number of factors, the market has dropped again and almost all of my NES games are $4.95 (CDN) with a few good ones in the $10-$20 range. The "crash" is already happening except that it's a slow one. I like to blame emulation (whether pirated or paid for - Wii, etc.). The hassle and expense of finding an old console and the game(s) you want is far outweighed by the simplicity of just emulating it on a newer system at a decent price (or free), and MOST consumers don't share the same attachment to "the real thing" as we do. The more this happens, the more smaller game stores will go out of business, and the market will continue to be flooded with with cheaper and cheaper games. I bought some "rare" games this morning for a fair price, then looked them up on eBay and almost shit myself when I saw how cheap they had become in just the last 6 months. Needless to say, I'm going to focus more on buttons, T-shirts, plushies, and other (non-downloadable) collectables for a while.
    *** Visit our store ***
    Gamedeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster BC
    http://www.gamedeals.ca