Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mario Brothers (1983) - Why Don't People Like It as Much as "Super Mario Brothers"?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Mario Brothers (1983) - Why Don't People Like It as Much as "Super Mario Brothers"?

How many of you are actually fanatics of Mario and Luigi's first game together -- you know, the self explanatory Mario Brothers (1983)?

I can see this doesn't really have any fan credibility as its ultimate successor, 1985's "Super Mario Brothers," and part of the reason the '83 title was not successful was due to it being released on the verge of the video game crash.

The original console and computer ports were:
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 800XL and compatibles (400, 800, 600XL, 65XE, 130XE)
    Apple II (unfinished and unreleased)
    Commodore 64 (finished but not released)
    Nintendo FamiCom (1983) / NES (1986)

It was released by Nintendo for its NES system in June 1986 (in Japan, for the FamiCom, 9/9/83). Its sole (audio) weakness was its title theme, which sounds like a reverse-engineered (or "Jimmy Hart version" or "Ice Ice Baby") version of Petula Clark's 1964 hit "Downtown." I'm fine with that Mozart "A Little Night Music" piece.

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 05-28-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there was also an atari 7800 version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like it as well as SMB due to it being a single screen game, opposed to the scrolling worlds of the SMB platformer. To me, SMB just holds my interest much longer due to there being a variety of worlds to explore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like it infinitely BETTER than SMB and its mainly BECAUSE its a one-screen game. Simple arcade fun, no princesses or bowser or magic mushrooms or any of that other stuff. Just a great classic arcade game. This and the original Donkey Kong games is when Mario peaked IMO.
    Last edited by Atarileaf; 05-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    there was also an atari 7800 version
    Yep, a pretty good version too. I'd love to find the Atari XE version but that ones hard to find and kinda rare.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it probably doesn't get what it deserves because of the single screen. By the time of the crash, I think single screen games were becoming well, old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    I don't like it as well as SMB due to it being a single screen game, opposed to the scrolling worlds of the SMB platformer. To me, SMB just holds my interest much longer due to there being a variety of worlds to explore.
    I would say that's probably the reason I don't like it as much. However, I love both games.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    it probably doesn't get what it deserves because of the single screen. By the time of the crash, I think single screen games were becoming well, old.
    An interesting theory, but it doesn't hold up as there are single screen games that are very popular. Games like Bubble Bobble and Bomberman come to mind.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I NEVER liked the original Mario Bros. game, I found it fairly boring and I'd much rather play any of the Super Mario games as opposed to this. No disrespect to those who liked this title though, I did know many who enjoyed the 2P aspect of Mario Bros. and I actually know people who still play it to this day.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I would say that's probably the reason I don't like it as much. However, I love both games.

An interesting theory, but it doesn't hold up as there are single screen games that are very popular. Games like Bubble Bobble and Bomberman come to mind.

Bubble is single screen, but it changes. To me that isn't so much single screen. Single screen to me is Pacman, mario bros, things like that.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Mario bros. was the first video game I ever played and loved. Now I own the cabinet, so I'm a huge fan of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think just because SMB set itself apart for what that game really is when it both hit the NES and as VS SMB in the arcade which was different and more challenging. It probably just comes down to personal taste really and not some conspiracy theory. I do very clearly remember people hating on Mario Bros but there was a similar theme to that, playing with a dick. Tell me none of you who've played this game hasn't played with a dick who will hit the POW block or the ground under the platform as you try and kick the enemy to get points and end up getting bit in the ass and losing a life for some dicks personal enjoyment? I remember plenty of people at a boys n girls club back in the 90s getting pissed and walking away over it not to return finding comfort in stuff like Ghosts n Goblins of all things and Super Dodgeball.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    The original console and computer ports were:
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 800XL and compatibles (400, 800, 600XL, 65XE, 130XE)
    Apple II (unfinished and unreleased)
    Commodore 64 (finished but not released)
    I've definitely played an Apple II version. We had it on a good ol floppy, as well as a port of Donkey Kong and some other game that currently escapes my memory.

The game itself is alright, but not nearly as entertaining as other early arcade games (Donkey Kong, QBert, PacMan, etc...).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first time I played Mario Bros. was at some place in Louisiana, I think. It must have been 1988 or 1989, I loved Super Mario Bros. but had never even heard of the original game. So I dropped my quarter and... WTF. It just made me want to play Super Mario Bros., actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got love for Mario Bros. but there is nothing in my heart for that game like there is for Super Mario Bros. Back in the day, I played the game mostly on the 2600 then the Commodore 64. This game, Donkey Kong, and, to a lesser extent, Popeye made Nintendo's name stick in the mind of pre-NES me. I've got the NES version now, and I mean to pick up the 7800 version eventually. One day I'd like to play Mario Bros. with my son.

It is worth noting that Kaettekita Mario Bros. on the Famicom Disk System is where it's at. Improved graphics and the ability to change direction midair makes all the difference in the world.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default I was really young at the time but

Some of my opinions why SMB was bigger than the original MB

Why Super Mario did well.
    SMB - Was a fresh new game, not that game you played in the arcades like 4 years ago
    SMB - Was newer technology (Music while playing, Scrolling platformer, Amazing graphics)
    SMB - Advanced story not familiar in console video games

Why Mario Bros didn't do so well
    MB - Looked old compared to the new gen of NES games coming out,
    MB - Was marketed part of the "Classic Series"
    MB - Was not arcade perfect, SMB's graphics were, levels changed but who notices that?
    MB - When the NES REALLY took off 88-90, the original Mario Bros was pretty old

BTW - I have the Original Mario Bros and I think it's great. Would love to get my hands on the Euro version though.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Between the two SMB is better but Mario Bros. is still pretty good. I just wish there were more cycles of level patterns after Stage 9. It just stays the same forever even past 100 stages where the counter sort of rolls over.

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    It is worth noting that Kaettekita Mario Bros. on the Famicom Disk System is where it's at. Improved graphics and the ability to change direction midair makes all the difference in the world.
    Yes!! After finding out about it I eventually found a copy of this gem and I must say that revised control scheme is very nice, but it's certainly countered by how much harder the game became. The invisible bonus stages are amusing and trying to keep tabs on those icicles dropping from platforms really makes the challenge soar. I used to be decent at regular Mario Bros. but the Return version kicks my ass. XD

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I do very clearly remember people hating on Mario Bros but there was a similar theme to that, playing with a dick.
    Man, I totally read that in a different way from how you intended, haha.

Anyway, back when Super Mario Bros. 3 was first released, I was obsessed with the competitive 2-player Mario Bros.-style battles, more so than the main game, actually. Granted, I wasn't that great at clearing the stages back then. In time, I grew to love SMB3 as a single-player game, and while I do enjoy Mario Bros., I probably would place most Super Mario Bros. games above it.

I do think it's really cool that Mario Clash is based on Mario Bros., though, and it makes me sad that it wasn't more popular. It was an innovative and fun take on the old formula, but I think at that point in time in the mid 90s, the average Nintendo fan probably had little to no exposure to Mario prior to Super Mario Bros. They probably had no idea what to make of it and didn't understand why it was an arcade-style game rather than a scrolling platformer.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Anyway, back when Super Mario Bros. 3 was first released, I was obsessed with the competitive 2-player Mario Bros.-style battles,
    I was just gonna mention this! Yeah the 2-player battles can easily turn both players attention away from the main game. So much fun!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I was just gonna mention this! Yeah the 2-player battles can easily turn both players attention away from the main game. So much fun!
    We also got the MB bonus game within SMB3 after it was re-tooled for release on Super Mario All-Stars. When MB was re-tooled again for release on Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2, that version of MB found itself as the bonus game for every subsequent SMA release thereafter (SMA2: Super Mario World, SMA3: Yoshi's Island and SMA4: Super Mario Bros. 3) as well as Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

The GBA version of MB (bar the NES Classics version, which of course is the NES version re-ported to GBA), in summary, had found itself attached as the bonus game to a total of five different Mario-related titles, which may (indirectly) explain why Nintendo of America did not release the original 8-bit MB for the GBA (the NES Classics Series).

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario Bros. is no Donkey Kong.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12