Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I'll be leaving Stillwater at around 10 so I'll see everyone sometime between 11 & 11:30 (wearing nametags, I hope ).

edit: I'll be wearing a brown Mexico Joe's shirt, blue jeans, and black docs. Look for the Japanese girl with the large Mario's (not me, my avatar ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, I'm sitting with a group of DP folks in a Mexican restaurant eating lunch. The show was seriously sparse.. It looks like most of the other vendors cancelled. Earl (Phosphor Dot Fossils) was there, Vintage Stock had a small selection, there was a comic book vendor, and a board game seller. There was a Wii set up for tournament play, and a 360 with Guitar Hero playing. Other than that, it was barren. But I did get some Full Throttle free (Flack got 2 cases free). Planning on going back in a bit to see if things picked up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QuietKrunkKuma

Cool Well I guess I dun feel so bad then..

..I know I was running late, but I got to OKCCC at about 4:45 PM.. And there was nobody there..

Alot has happened since my original posting.. My toe got seriously injured on a business trip about 10 days ago, towhich it still isn't healed.. I can't be on my feet for very long, etc, etc. I know I was late, but, at least from the last post it doesn't sound like the event was attended by very many.

I'm going to do my best to meet up with any/everyone going to the afterparty at Flacks, but right now I don't know. Like I said, my foot injury and work issues made me wonder if I would have to cancel _before_ today, but I was thinking positive as possible.

Sorry I missed anyone and/or everyone.. Hopefully if there is a next year's event it might be publicized a little more at least (I know what a college-student-run event is like somewhat since I was head of a student organization when I was in college, etc) Hope everyone has fun, I just wonder if more people would have shown if it wasn't on the same weekend here as the arts festival downtown, etc.

Rifter

P.S. I'm just glad that someone tried to put this event on, I'm just frustrated because my personal health had to give out just right before this event.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Well, I'm sitting with a group of DP folks in a Mexican restaurant eating lunch. The show was seriously sparse.. It looks like most of the other vendors cancelled. Earl (Phosphor Dot Fossils) was there, Vintage Stock had a small selection, there was a comic book vendor, and a board game seller. There was a Wii set up for tournament play, and a 360 with Guitar Hero playing. Other than that, it was barren. But I did get some Full Throttle free (Flack got 2 cases free). Planning on going back in a bit to see if things picked up.
    That's kind of what I was afraid of. Glad I didn't make the drive, but I do hope something like this gets off the ground for next time. A website and more advance notice would certainly have helped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I would definitely say that the show could have been better but it was definitely fun getting to meet and hang out with some of the guys from the board. Flack has a seriously awesome arcade setup out back of his house. Though, I think he has a bit of a problem with Shinobi.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are some of my OEGE photos:

Oi now!

Wii all got crazy.

This Guitar Hero setup not far from our corner was just about the busiest thing all day long.

The real Retrogaming Roundtable: clockwise starting from far left, Namzep, Icbrkr, Flack, Gapporin and Ubik.

This vendor (though the person manning the table was absent at the moment, presumably engaged in the taking of an epic leak after all the Full Throttle we all downed) was selling board games and collectible card games.

This vendor had a ton of comics, and a heap o' manga. I'd never bought manga before in my life until this show.

This vendor had a heap of DVDs about video gaming history. Odd, that. (Special thanks to Flack for saving my butt on getting the cover artwork printed in time. Kinko's < Flack.)

Interesting stuff from the school's CATS program. I'm presuming that's the escape pod that the little green guy's going to clamber into to escape Yosemite Park there.

A good time, and copious quantities of Full Throttle, were had by all. I was grateful that DeputyMoniker was throwing this amount of product around, because I never would've stayed awake for the drive home without it!

Vintage Stock of OKC was there. Vectrex represent! I desired some of their Vectrex games carnally, but they were part of a bundle that couldn't be parted out.

More in the next reply...
    Last edited by Phosphor Dot Fossils; 04-27-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After the show: Ubik, Icbrkr and Kent warm the buttons at the legendary Flackcade.

And Don Piano warms the windowsill. I petted Flack's cat just about the moment I stepped in the door and he followed me around the rest of the time I was there.

Icbrkr taking a picture of me taking a picture of Icbrkr taking a picture of me taking a picture of...

While Icbrkr and I tie pretzels into the space-time continuum, Gapporin rifles through Flack's coinboxes. I know he was hard up for a ride out to OKC, but dude.

12328 (that's 1541 x 8 there) + 64 = 12392.

Flack has a terminal illness: he's sick of this huge ancient Televideo dumb terminal sitting in his kitchen. You want it? It's free! Who can resist it?

You know, just in case being in an arcade with a couple dozen games gets boring and all.

Flack totally validated some of my home decor here: boxed vintage Star Wars toys are a great decorating idea.

I didn't grab much in the way of loot this trip: a stuffed Bowser for my son (who was totally fascinated with all the "spikes"), and some Star Wars manga, which is something that has intrigued me for ages (and I could hardly pass up at $3 a pop).

Special thanks to Flack for making sure Kent and I didn't go to Wichita Falls instead of his place. I'm not sure what happened there other than me needing to drink more Full Throttle while I was behind the wheel...

I hope this show continues into a second year; one thing to keep in mind with the promotion and the lack of a web site is that the show's organized was having to cram all this stuff through the school bureaucracy at the end of a semester, which is something that most of your other shows simply don't have to deal with. However, I'm hoping that having the infrastructure of the school behind this thing will keep it around despite the relatively thin crowd this year. The room was most active in the afternoon, a bit thin in the morning, and positively dead around lunchtime. A little more promotional "oomph" and OEGE could really take off.

Thanks to everyone for buying my assembled-in-under-three-weeks DVD project - this paid for some extra hard drives I recently bought to help me with that other big DVD project everyone's been waiting on!
    Last edited by Phosphor Dot Fossils; 04-27-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QuietKrunkKuma

Just curious.. What game was being played by all on the Wii? I read that it was setup for 'tournament play' but what game, specifically? Smash Bros., or..?? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smash Bros., Wario Ware and that old crowd-pleaser standby, Wii Sports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I had to work on some photo processing for a client, or rather my sister. She needs her senior photos done so I got to spend the day working on them. :-\

Maybe the next time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils View Post
    Smash Bros., Wario Ware and that old crowd-pleaser standby, Wii Sports.
    I'm guessing Wario Ware and Wii Sports were in the afternoon. I only ever saw Smash Bros but I left (and didn't come back) around 1ish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I missed Wii Sports all together. I really wanted to play Wii Bowling with a few folks.

Earl, I like the angles on all your photos. They really fool you into thinking that there were vendors and attendees there. It's such a shame that the people putting this show together weren't a little more aggressive with their promotion of the event, and getting more vendors. But from the looks of it, not only did all the vendors drop out (Coca-Cola had a table reserved, but didn't show up. Come on now, Coke? They didn't show up to promote their stuff? Okay, the Full Throttle division was there, but still...) but a bunch of the DP folks that said they'd come by decided to stay home. It made a good excuse for the forum-goers to meet up and hang out, but it was a serious disappointment that the main event was so poorly handled.

Still, to look on the bright side, I got the chance to visit Oklahoma City, meet a bunch of good people, do some thrifting, and on the way out of town I stopped at a Game eXchange for the first time and bought a few things. I picked up an odd looking Commodore 64 cartridge with no label. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, I'm really curious as to what it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I could have made it. Sounds like the after party might have been more exciting than the acutal event.

Still working on the damn photos and my wife just gave me a 12-page paper to copyedit for one of her classes. Sigh the world just keeps on giving me the shaft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegardentool View Post
    I wish I could have made it. Sounds like the after party might have been more exciting than the acutal event.
    My thoughts as well... I wanted to be there so bad.

Big thanks to Phosphor for uploading those pics. Maybe next time I can join up with everyone.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Looks like it was a good time, particularly the Flack-sponsored after party. Maybe next year I can hitch a ride.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I hope you do, Pant!

OEGE Pix
    http://www.robohara.com/albums/OEGE_2008/

OEGE After Party Pix
    http://www.robohara.com/albums/OEGE_Party/

In both of these albums, I combined PDF's posted pictures with my own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

OEGE Review
    (blog repost)

Last Saturday (April 26th, 2008) marked the debut of the Oklahoma Electronic Game Expo (OEGE). Unrelated to the already established Oklahoma Videogame Expo (OVGE), OEGE is a new show that took place at Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC). The show was sponsored by OCCC's Computer Arts & Technology Society (CATS), and was spearheaded by student and club member Drew Stone. The first draft of this post was well over five pages long; I've since removed 90% of the details, and decided to go with this more generic review of the show instead. A review of the OEGE After Party (which took place at my house) will follow later today.

OEGE was plagued with issues from word go. Drew tapped CATS and OCCC as sponsors for the show, but as he soon found out, linking your event with such organizations (especially a school) is a double-edged sword. The upside is you can get lots of floor space inexpensively; the downside is, you have to play by their rules. From what I understand, red tape school politics delayed the launch of a website to the point where it never happened. With no website or official advertising, the show was doomed to a low turnout from the start.

The only official advertising I saw was a PDF flyer which was posted on one forum (I downloaded the flyer and rehosted it on my own site just so I could post links to it -- it was the only way I knew to get the word out about the show!). Taken from the flyer:

"Oklahoma Electronic Game Expo is a day of video-game revelry. Our 2008 Expo will mark the first gaming destination in Oklahoma- where gamers and industry insiders can come together to celebrate video-games. Attendees come to OEGE to experience the newest games, encounter game industry legends, compete in tournaments, buy games, and meet with friends."

Based on the above text, friends of mine from Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and even New Mexico drove to Oklahoma City to attend OEGE, in hopes of experiencing the newest games and encountering game industry legends. Instead, they found four vendors, two game stations, and an CATS booth. Of the four vendors, two were videogame related. One was Vintage Stock, a midwest-based gaming chain. The other was Phosphor Dot Fossils, who was there to debut his Phosphor Dot Fossils DVD (it's fantastic -- review coming soon!). The other two vendors were selling comic books and board games. Aside from the four vendors there were two game stations -- an Xbox 360 running Guitar Hero, and a Wii (hooked up to a projector) playing a few different games (mostly Super Smash Bros. Brawl).

The word on the show's floor was that several vendors either cancelled or pulled out at the last minute. I don't know what went on behind the scenes. What I do know is we had seen everything the show had to offer in less than half an hour. While it was a nice opportunity to see all my online friends in person again, there wasn't much for us to do there. Icbrkr and Gapporin played a few rounds of Guitar Hero at the show (a game both of them own at home, too). Had I driven from another state to attend the show I might have forced myself to stay longer ... but I didn't. After looking at everything on the showroom floor two or three times, most of us split -- first, to eat, followed by a bit of thrift store game hunting.

Thanks to all the vendors who did show up, and congrats to Drew Stone and company for pulling off their first event. I'm sure the gang learned some tough lessons first hand this time around, and I expect great improvements will be made to next year's show.

OEGE 2008 Photos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(blog reply repost)

The mention of only two game stations reminds me to feel astoundingly foolish about the whole thing; I actually had my spare Odyssey2, its RF box, and some games set aside (knowing that Gap was going to be bringing that two-ton color TV back to me that I'd loaned him a year ago in Springfield), as well as the ol' battery-powered Coleco tabletop games, ready to go...and left them at the house (along with the coax I'd set aside for the DVD player, which was an accident that you bailed me out of) because I was having an incredibly hard time getting my butt in gear that morning, having had to take care of Evan a lot later into the previous evening than I expected, and then Kent and I had to do some rather major work on the car that brought us into town. I didn't get to bed until about 1 in the morning...yet again. I think the world's going to explode if I'm ever well rested for one of these things, and I can't imagine what it's like organizing the whole show if I lose that much sleep over my silly little booth.

But the point is: I would've had more games to play there if I hadn't been so wiped out. So I have to take some responsibility for the show having as little actual gaming going on as it had. I'm just thankful for the free-flowing Full Throttle, otherwise I might never have woken up. As it is, we had PLENTY of space where I could've had more games going, which I regret - it kinda became the "DP members' command center" instead, though that was cool in and of itself. If you wanted to see all the baby pictures I had in my wallet, PDFtopia was a great place to hang out.

Point is, I've heard a lot about how little video gaming there was going on, and I have to shoulder some of the responsibility for that - it basically came down to me not wanting to haul four extra boxes out to the car. Even with the power issues I had at my table, there are any number of things I could've brought - the copious quantities of video game toys and trinkets I have, Electronic Games magazines and some related books (Supercade, Arcade Fever, Ralph Baer's and Bill Kunkel's awesome books, and that Commodork guy too)...basically, for very little extra haulage, I should've had enough stuff on hand to cover all that table space I wound up with by the grace of Other People Not Showing Up that might've goosed the show along quite a bit. I guess that's the difference between me now and me a couple of years ago: haul 20+ lbs. of kid around enough, and you don't feel like picking up one more thing for the rest of the week!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Icbrkr and Gapporin played a few rounds of Guitar Hero at the show (a game both of them own at home, too).
    Not I...I don't even own any next-gen (this-gen?) consoles. >_>
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QuietKrunkKuma

Red face

Well, I had this nice long post, but then my browser crashed, so I'll just get to the point(s):

1) I'm still looking out for more Local OKC events maybe before it gets too hot outside and all my free time is thinking of swimming, white water, pools, etc. or travelling (humidity and 100+ degrees are my downfall - without cool air or non-A/C then it isn't an option for me anymore)

2) My foot is still injured, so I don't really want to go near crowds of people that might injure my foot any further .. This is what keeps me away from trying a few of the new places out there... (i.e. Hey Day down near Norman, OK.. From what I've heard their arcade is really small anyways, maybe the new building next door to them has a larger arcade.. The new building is called something like Alligator Andy's from what I've heard.. But, still, the prospect of little kids running around and/or maybe stepping on my bad foot might stop me from trying them out)..

Anyways, if anyone hears of any new events, esp. retro-themed, pinball-related or video game tourney (formal or not) please pass them along or post.. (I'm still not exactly sure when Soonercon is going to happen, but that isn't until June and isn't really video game related anyways).. I'd really like to get some tournament gaming in offline (any style of game, retro, fighting, halo, 1-vs-1, 4-vs-4, etc) since my xbox live gold is over with for awhile --it wasn't really like I was playing it much anyways.. My g/f plays XBL more than I. I'd rather play Pac-Man or Pinball usually.. Take care everyone..

Peace,
    Rifter

P.S. I just noticed this today, OGVE will return in August. Check out the link here.
    Last edited by Rifter01; 05-10-2008 at 10:40 AM.