Thread: I will be reviewing a prototype of the ColecoVision Ultimate SD Cartridge!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default I will be reviewing a prototype of the ColecoVision Ultimate SD Cartridge!

First, if your wondering "Huh? Why the heck is HE reviewing it?" don't worry I am not offended as I just found out last night and am pretty shocked myself lol! That said, there is some reasoning behind it, if you check out the the ATARIMAX website and go to the USB 128in1 Colecovision Multi Cart page, a little more than half way down the page you will a product reviews section and dead center "MaximumRD Video Review parts #1 & 2".
    http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/fo...forum.php?f=15
    I had done that review back on April 28, 2009 merely for my love of Colecovision and because I was so pleased and happy with the original USB Multi-cart. I was not even aware that Mr. Tucker had posted that review, I had sent him the link as a thank you from a very happy customer and though I had done it purely to share the news of this wonderful product with my Youtube subscribers. I was surprised when to see he had posted it but needless to say I was very happy. Last night I received an Email that basically said:
    Hi Rob,
    Thanks again for your great review of the 128-in-1 for the
    ColecoVision. Would you be interested in reviewing a prototype
    version of the Colecovision cartridge described here:

Thanks! :-)
    Steve

A couple Emails were exchanged pretty much immediately after and it is a done deal. Steve will be shipping the prototype version out to me soon.
    Now of course having been given this opportunity by the man himself I want this to be as beneficial to both of us as possible. For me of course it is a cool insight into this upcoming release for my Youtube subscribers as well of course I plan to post the review and all related info in my personal favorite gaming forums (AtariAge/Digital Press/Armchair Arcade etc) as well as others and of course I would be happy and grateful should any of you just happen to mention it around, post the link, spread the news.
    Most importantly in return I WANT YOU to post in here and ask me whatever is on your mind regarding this item.
    For the record I plan a simple yet detailed no nonsense look at this item. I want to make the most out of this for both me, Steve and all my viewers so your feedback, questions and comments are welcomed and encouraged.
    I will follow up here and elsewhere, I have not even received the item yet and I am already planning out everything so that I can do the best job I am capable of, I do not want to disappoint anyone so please get your questions in now. THANKS!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

That's great and all, but I think Beyonce should have won the privilege of testing the 128-in-1 cart prototype.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    That's great and all, but I think Beyonce should have won the privilege of testing the 128-in-1 cart prototype.
    Uhm........what?

It's the new SD version, I never covered the 128in1 proto I reviewed the final product.

OK whatever, ANYWAY please submit any questions you have about the product and I will do my best to cover them.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Come on really? Any interest in this? No Colecovision fans?
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds pretty cool. I never had a CV, but I will more than likely be watching the review.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I am a CV fan, but this isn't a huge difference with the current USB cartridge. Fits more roms, that's the biggest thing. Sounds like it will cost a lot of money, too.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I am a CV fan, but this isn't a huge difference with the current USB cartridge. Fits more roms, that's the biggest thing. Sounds like it will cost a lot of money, too.
    I can see your points and as an owner of the original I myslef would not spring for the new version but some things to keep in mind that I DO know so far is it will be nice not required the transfer/flashing software as the menu system runs right off the SD card, apparently there will be support for bigger ROMS too. When all is said and done anyone interested who do not currently own any version might do well to see how this turns out.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I guess I wouldn't mind a cv multicart, but it's not high on my list. I love CV, but have to fix mine before I can play the boatload of carts I scored at midwest.. d'oh
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I do like the idea someone brought up (not that it will necessarily be reality) of (hopefully) being able to use a keyboard to play ADAM games. I hope this feature is considered. It certainly does open up the homebrew market, being able to program a game of any given size to be used on the cart. I look forward to this, but if it is going to be a limited run, and expensive, I fear I'll have to bow out.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Actually there ARE huge differences. The underlying components are drastically different and the cart handles certain "mega" games that the USB version cannot do, because the cart actually has memory inside of it to handle these. Games like Mario Bros. and Pac-Man Collection are examples of "mega" titles that can be played on the SD cart and NOT on the USB cart. And rest assured more homebrew mega games will be coming down the pipeline in the near future.

As for pricing, costs alot? It is the exact same price as the USB version!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I didn't know about the MEGA-CART provision until more recently, but even so, most of the homebrews are not available as roms, including Pac-Man Collection. That said, Mario Bros. is now being included on the cart, although I believe the author of that game is working on a more advanced Mario Bros. Probably why he's giving that one away.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 08-04-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SD? A lot of these things seem to use Compact Flash; I figured it was easier to interface with. Why the change?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Most of the newer types of flashcards coming out are supporting SD, they are smaller and people tend to have more of them lying around as CF seem to be getting less and less common. The Everdrive for Genesis, Harmony cart for 2600 and others are all SD based, some even miniSD.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, I live in Vernon. We should Coleco it up sometime!
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    SD? A lot of these things seem to use Compact Flash; I figured it was easier to interface with. Why the change?
    CF is parallel and SD is serial. CF is faster to load is all. SD can be easier in some ways. Besides being much more common and readily available;

Quote Originally Posted by Copypasta
    parallel data transfer refers to the type of data transfer in which a group of bits are transferred simultaneously while serial data transfer refers to the type of data transfer in which a group of data bits are transferred one bit at a time. so that means that the amount of data transferred serially is less that the data transferred parallelly per second.

but serial data transfer requires less cables so if the data has to be transmitted over longer distances serial data transfer is preffered.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives