Thread: New Windows 8 OS will play Xbox 360 games.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Default New Windows 8 OS will play Xbox 360 games.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ows-8-pcs.aspx

Thats the rumors on the internets anyhow.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If it's true, Microsoft is probably tired of spending an endless amount of funding to fix RRoD 360s.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm not sure I can fully believe this, while it would be an interesting move on Microsoft's part, it doesn't sound very plausible from a marketing standpoint. Not only would it deem the 360 completely useless, it may even end up hurting some developers in the end, since people could simply not buy the PC counterpart and get the 360 version since they won't have to worry about system specs.

Also I could see this completely backfiring on them, not only would this be cracked within a week (if they decide to charge, which they probably will), there would also be no stopping people from just downloading a ripped 360 of a game. It would be a catastrophe for both developers and Microsoft, since a lot of people simply wouldn't buy anything.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i can see it mostly because i doubt microsoft will even give a fuck about making sure their next system will be backward compatible with the 360, why go through thr trouble & cost of implementing it when you can just emulate it, help bolster the profile of your new upcoming os & steal marketshare from apple in the process?

if anything they'll make even more money from new live accounts while simultaneously cutting overhead due to not having to create & maintain as many systems while reaping the same rewards that console licensing nets them

...too bad my netbook wouldn't be able to run them tho
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A more likely explanation is that MS had ported minwin to XBOX360 at some point, and Windows 8 still contains some of the same system files or whatever.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How would this even be possible? You would need a PC from ten years into the future just to get decent emulation.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard rumors like this for a long time, just not on Win8. It makes sense as they might be trying to play Sony's Blu-Ray game. I have to imagine the somewhat healthy installed based for BR players has a lot to do with PS3.

Anyway, if you include this feature for systems that can run Win8 well enough M$ could (eventually) legitimately claim the installed based for 360 (or 360 capable systems) went from 50+ million to 500 million (there's a report that something like 400+ million Win7 licenses were activated) in a mater of months or a year or two. Not everyone will utilize that, of course. But that prospect has to be pretty compelling to developers.

That sounds pretty mainstream to me, and just what videogames needs (to be truly mainstream). All speculation for now, but if M$ prices it right and solidly executes the app or whatever it'll be a win-win for everyone.

ps - imagine laptops running 360 without the aid of a Ben Heck hack job? How awesome would that be?
    Last edited by RCM; 07-12-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    How would this even be possible? You would need a PC from ten years into the future just to get decent emulation.
    Because it surely wouldn't be done via emulation (Not that it would be nearly as daunting for Microsoft to eventually emulate their own console with professional programmers and full documentation of the inner workings of the system, resources that homebrew emulation programmers don't have and one reason the hardware requirements for homebrew efforts are so high).

The Xbox 360 is just a computer that has been turned into a dedicated console. It doesn't seem impossible that a PC with the correct operating system and suitable specs could be made to natively play Xbox 360 software. Would be a logical next step for them to merge their Games for Windows initiative with the Xbox 360 even further.

We were led by the media for quite a while to believe that the Xbox was going to be able to play Windows PC games back over a decade ago, and look how that turned out. I wouldn't be shocked if this was 100% incorrect like that turned out to be, or that something was just lost in translation somewhere (Maybe the rumor is, in reality, about the Xbox 720; something like a Blu-Ray disc would have ample room for the average game for both the PC and Xbox 720 builds of a particular game to reside on the same disc for releases slated for both platforms).

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If it's true, Microsoft is probably tired of spending an endless amount of funding to fix RRoD 360s.
    Microsoft resolved that issue long ago. I really don't see where it could've possibly played a role in anything. They're not abandoning the console business, even though a Playstation fanboy might want them to.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-13-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only way this makes any sense to me, is if it's digital download only. Basically, Microsoft would bring the Xbox Live marketplace to the PC, with everything that comes along with it, including Xbox originals and full 360 game downloads. Arcade games, indy games, the whole ball of wax. Everything that is currently available on Xbox Live Arcade, would be available on the PC, assuming you have Windows 8 and certain threshold of hardware or better.

The problem with this, is that the hackers would have a field day, and regardless of whatever crazy copy protection scheme MS will have for this, they will find a way around it, and everything on Xbox Live Arcade will be compromised. It's one thing to find a Jtag-able console, it's another thing to just have a relatively decent gaming PC.

The only thing that really makes sense with this, is that this is one incentive that could get some people to want Windows 8, but I just don't think it will be worth all the headaches that would surely come with the piracy aspect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why does it only make sense to you for something like a digital download of Fallout 3 from the Games on Demand section of the Xbox Live marketplace to work on a PC, but not a disc with the exact same code pressed on it?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The Xbox 360 is just a computer that has been turned into a dedicated console. It doesn't seem impossible that a PC with the correct operating system and suitable specs could be made to natively play Xbox 360 software.
    This was true only of the original Xbox. The 360, like the others, uses a PowerPC based CPU which contains an entirely different, more advanced instruction set that would have to be emulated on our x86 based PCs.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    This was true only of the original Xbox. The 360, like the others, uses a PowerPC based CPU which contains an entirely different, more advanced instruction set that would have to be emulated on our x86 based PCs.
    I guess we'll see.

I have to assume if it happens that it wouldn't be 100% emulation. I don't think the average PC in 2011 is anywhere near capable of that at this point, even with a lot of capital poured into the project with dozens of professionals skilled in hardware emulation with full technical documentation of the Xbox 360 at their disposal.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-13-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The same games available on 360 are often available on PC, with better graphics if you PC is souped up. That said, what is needed is a front end that does what emulators do now. Except it wouldn't be an emulator as we know it, it would be something far more professional. Sort of like the windows emulators for Unix. One place where they may have a problem is that PC games use gigantic amounts of disc space, installed. Would this application need to do that? Would you be required to "install" parts of the game onto your PC the first time you play?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

If this is true, we can expect an Xbox 720 announcement not too soon after the launch of Windows 8.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

3DO made a version of their system that was all built onto an ISA card that used your PC's CD drive for the media. I always thought that this made sense and am surprised that nobody else has tried this solution. Even if you couldn't put the entire 360 on an internal card I would think that some PC components could be used to work with the 360 card that would include proprietary components like the processor chip.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IF I have to pay for the service...I don't know. If it's a one time thing then maybe, but if they're pulling the same thing as xbox live that's really going to eat into my wallet over time.

All I really want is to play bayonetta without screen tearing so we'll see if it's worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This will just be an extension of the full games you can download and play on XBL right now. In other words...a paid service. The idea that Microsoft would actually let you stick your games in your DVD drive and let you play for free is laughable. Ain't gonna happen.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An interesting rumor but one that I'm not so sure will come true. I could definitely see them using this as a marketing tool for Windows 8 but they probably don't need it....unless Windows 8 turns out as bad as Windows Vista did.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Why does it only make sense to you for something like a digital download of Fallout 3 from the Games on Demand section of the Xbox Live marketplace to work on a PC, but not a disc with the exact same code pressed on it?
    Because I don't think Microsoft gains enough from it. If you can only download the games, then that means you can't go to a flea market and buy a huge box of games for $100 that will keep you satisfied for a long, long time. Microsoft doesn't really profit off a situation like that.

Sure, you can rationalize that the guy that gets $100 at the flea market for his box of games is going to use that $100 buying a brand new game or two, but that doesn't always translate. It's just as likely that the guy is going to use nearly half of that on filling up his tank, and the rest on food and beer. That money doesn't always go back into the gaming market.

Download only would mean that any 360 game that people are playing on a PC will be a new purchase that Microsoft directly benefited from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It makes more sense to have digital download "packs" where you get both the PC and Xbox 360 versions of a game, and their save files can use server-side storage tied to your XBL account to be able to seamlessly maintain progress between them. Except PC mods would break compatibility for that needless to say.
    Lum fan.