Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Are any of those CIV games not stomped under the boot of the DRM frontend known as Steam? I know Civ5 is a lost cause, but I'm curious about the other two. I miss playing the game, the original was a favorite and #2 wasn't too bad but I can't get that stuff running in Win7 64bit which sucks balls (same with Sim City Classic but I have Micropolis for that at least.)

Nevermind saw the red fine print well down the page. I'm out. If anyone ever learns out how to hack out steam support I'd be up for some Civ5, the others you can get at used shops cheap still.
    What's the problem with Steam? I mean, if you're worried about having to be online all the time, Steam's offline mode received an upgrade recently and you don't have to be online all the time to play stuff as long as you log in before going offline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If anyone ever learns out how to hack out steam support I'd be up for some Civ5
    I would be surprised if at this point no one has learned this.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's worth a try to pay $1 and see if this is one of the DRM free games. If not, big deal, it was only $1 for four games.

Most older games that didn't require any sort of DRM when originally released that are later added onto Steam don't have any DRM required. So you can go to your Steam library, right click on the game, go to properties, local files, browse local files, and more than likely play it from there without being required to open Steam again.

Unless you're going to buy a copy and share it with all your friends, what's the point in not getting it on Steam if it's cheapest there? Because Steam might not be running in 20-30 years? If it's not running in 30 years, then who cares really. You lost $1. You know what I'm going to do in 20-30 years if I can't play digital games I paid for. I'm going to download them illegally. I mean, what PC game can you not download? Many of them are older than 30 years and can still be found. Will anything be different 30 years from now? Probably not. Infact, the games that are new now will be just as easy to find as the 30 year old games are now.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Why? Humble Bundle is modern. Computer Gaming seems like Classic Gaming but for computers.

Because the Computer Gaming forum isn't about just classic computer games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Steam is as much of the fact it requires the app to be loaded to use the games, as much as it's just there as a control issue. I have an account and I erased the program over a year and a half ago, maybe two years back now. I kept seeing these bundles and grabbing stuff wasting some paypal bucks on shit I wouldn't even use more than once. And there's a good bit of things on there I'd prefer to have a real stand alone install for I can throw on my backup drive and keep a copy of that's detached from its clutches. GoG and Steam have some games both share, and in any of those I've wanted I bought from GoG. I think that pretty much says it, and if you see my point that's fine, and if not, it's still how I'd rather deal with things.

In the case of Civ 5 I want the game to be detached, it's that simple. I find it angering I can go to the store, buy a physical copy of the game, and be not allowed to use it without installing a third party app that has nothing to do with it other than to control what people do. Same goes with Terraria and that one does have a UK disc that's free of it so it's clearly possible to have a choice if allowed.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's worth a try to pay $1 and see if this is one of the DRM free games. If not, big deal, it was only $1 for four games.

Most older games that didn't require any sort of DRM when originally released that are later added onto Steam don't have any DRM required. So you can go to your Steam library, right click on the game, go to properties, local files, browse local files, and more than likely play it from there without being required to open Steam again.

Unless you're going to buy a copy and share it with all your friends, what's the point in not getting it on Steam if it's cheapest there? Because Steam might not be running in 20-30 years? If it's not running in 30 years, then who cares really. You lost $1. You know what I'm going to do in 20-30 years if I can't play digital games I paid for. I'm going to download them illegally. I mean, what PC game can you not download? Many of them are older than 30 years and can still be found. Will anything be different 30 years from now? Probably not. Infact, the games that are new now will be just as easy to find as the 30 year old games are now.
    A bunch of old games still require Steam to run. Example: Hitman Blood Money. It'l detect that you don't have Steam and crash.

Devs can take the time to add Steam but never bother to fix the bugs...

Steam is as much of the fact it requires the app to be loaded to use the games, as much as it's just there as a control issue. I have an account and I erased the program over a year and a half ago, maybe two years back now. I kept seeing these bundles and grabbing stuff wasting some paypal bucks on shit I wouldn't even use more than once. And there's a good bit of things on there I'd prefer to have a real stand alone install for I can throw on my backup drive and keep a copy of that's detached from its clutches. GoG and Steam have some games both share, and in any of those I've wanted I bought from GoG. I think that pretty much says it, and if you see my point that's fine, and if not, it's still how I'd rather deal with things.

In the case of Civ 5 I want the game to be detached, it's that simple. I find it angering I can go to the store, buy a physical copy of the game, and be not allowed to use it without installing a third party app that has nothing to do with it other than to control what people do. Same goes with Terraria and that one does have a UK disc that's free of it so it's clearly possible to have a choice if allowed.
    Okay. No need to go nuts over it. I have a lot of games on Steam, but I also have a lot of games on GOG. I kinda get where you're coming from but at the same time I can't agree with you because I live in a country where it's impossible to get most of these games retail. And I prefer having to deal with Steam than a stupid disc in my drive.

And if Steam bugs you so much, you can download patches that remove the Steam requirement for most games. Pay for your license, install the game, install the patch, never touch Steam again. I guess. Whatever. Civ sucks anyway. :P
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I agree with the whole, physical copy thing, but whether it's digital or it's digital on Steam is that it's still digital. As Kitsune said, you can download a patch to not require Steam to ever be running that you can add to each game. Or you can changes settings so that Steam runs in offline mode. It uses a low amount of resources and it has features that I like, such as adding non Steam programs to the library and chat/voice chat client that is usable while in game without the use of another program. Mostly, I like how quick and organized Steam is.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It turns out people don't really care about whether or not they actually "own" the game as long as it's insanely cheap/likely to be discounted if you wait long enough. That is one of the most important things Steam has proved, as well as completely singlehandedly making PC gaming viable. That and GOG is making classic PC games possible to be played with no fuss, as well as popularizing DRM-free, which is of course good and desirable.

Loving the Sid Meier bundle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No doubt tupin. Now about that steam detaching program for civ 5 and others where do I get that? I know where I can rebuy a physical copy for a few bucks I'd use it on.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

No doubt tupin. Now about that steam detaching program for civ 5 and others where do I get that? I know where I can rebuy a physical copy for a few bucks I'd use it on.
    There's a certain "bay of pirates" where I'm sure you could acquire a version that is more...open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I think those patches only work on the downloaded Steam versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tupin arr, I follow and I was hoping to avoid that, but hell I did pay for it in steam for whatever it was that day so I do have a license. :P

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

For $1+:
    And Yet It Moves + OST
    The Dream Machine (Chapters 1 - 3)
    Luxuria Superbia

For $6+:
    Dear Ester + OST
    The Bridge + OST
    7 Grand Steps + OST

Dear Ester is worth your money, And Yet It Moves is not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Dear Ester is worth your money, And Yet It Moves is not.
    So the chronicles of an arthritic man who spends his entire day walking around while monologuing to himself is worth six bucks, but a decentish puzzle platformer is not worth a dollar?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    So the chronicles of an arthritic man who spends his entire day walking around while monologuing to himself is worth six bucks, but a decentish puzzle platformer is not worth a dollar?
    Correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have all of those except for Luxuria Superbia, which doesn't seem too interesting, and 7 Grand Steps, which looks intriguing but has previously been on sale for less than six bucks.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Had to post about this. Humble Bundle 11 is out and it's amazing:

For $1+:
    Guacamelee! Gold Edition + OST
    Dust: An Elysian Tail + OST
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams + OST
    The Swapper + OST

For minimum:
    Anitchamber + OST & Concept Album
    Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine + OST & Remix Album

Also, I changed the name of the thread to encompass all Humble Bundle stuffs. Since we have so many posts here already, may as well consolidate.
    Last edited by JSoup; 02-18-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Had to post about this. Humble Bundle 11 is out and it's amazing:

For $1+:
    Guacamelee! Gold Edition + OST
    Dust: An Elysian Tail + OST
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams + OST
    The Swapper + OST

For minimum:
    Anitchamber + OST & Concept Album
    Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine + OST & Remix Album

Also, I changed the name of the thread to encompass all Humble Bundle stuffs. Since we have so many posts here already, may as well consolidate.
    I might as well jump on this for the Giana Sisters.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    I might as well jump on this for the Giana Sisters.
    Of the $1 stuff, I'd rate Guacamelee as the biggest deal, Dust and Giana are just gravy.
    It also depends on how early you jumped on the wagon. I got the bundle just as it went up, so it was $3 even for everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

A word of warning, Giana Sisters sucks up a lot of CPU power. It made my PC overheat in six minutes. I'm not playing that until my next build...