Thread: Sticker remover question...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sticker remover question...

I know about this stuff called "Goo Gone" I believe, but I was just wondering if it would work on a sticker on the back label of a game? I know it might take off the actual label, but was just wondering if anybody has tried it before. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

I use Goo Gone a lot, but you want to try to get as much of the sticker off as possible first. The Goo Gone just helps get rid of the sticky residue - if you put it right on the sticker, it just smears the colors around.

I'm not sure about trying to get a sticker off of the label though, you'd have to be really precise about what you were doing, otherwise you'll get the gunk off but the label colors will run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can I just go to my local store, and purchase a bottle of this stuff, or do I have to get it online?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

You can get it at plenty of stores. I got a big bottle at Wal-Mart, but I can't remember how much it was. I bought the bottle with the spray nozzle by mistake, you want to make sure you only put this stuff where you want it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Home Depot has Goo Gone in the register aisles. However, it's not a magic product, its simply a good solvent, which doesn't destroy everything.

What I do all the time is drop a LITTLE Goo Gone, let the sticker soak it up. Then I take a hair blow dryer and heat up the sticker, which softens it. That allows me to take it off in one piece, usually. Then I use a dab or two of Goo Gone on a paper towel, and rub the residue of old glue off. The success rate on Cartridges, labels, and CD/DVD cases is very high for me.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i was actually on a sticker removing binge last night. even very old crusty ingrained stickers can be removed successfully without any solvent if you just take a little bit of time. Rushing is a sure fire way to rip the sticker and if its on a label to rip that as well. I removed well over 100 stickers last night and damaged only a single label (old blockbuster n64 rental, the sticker even warned trying to remove it would ruin the label but i was just too defiant to listen haha.) using my method of starting in a corner and peeling ever sooooo slowly even allows me to take off the under the jacket dvd case style spine stickers that gamestop/ebgames loves to use without ripping the cover art. I wish all used game stores would switch to plastic stickers as theyre just so much easier to remove. I find that googone is good for removing the residue under the sticker, i've never tried using it to remove the sticker itself though.
    Last edited by MrSparkle; 08-27-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do not use goo gone on CD cases (PS1 type) as it will dullen the plastic.
    Something in that plastic reacts with goo gone.
    Must do the route

Insert Coin (Level 0) Agressivadue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using a hair dryer to heat up stickers works pretty good.

I wouldn't want to use any solvent when a label is involved.
    Life is great; Without it, you'd be dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

There is an "orange citrus" version of Goo Gone that isn't harmful to plastics. It kinda smells decent, too. I started using that after the old stuff ate a jewel case on me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

But will Glue Gone or Citrus Orange remove warranty stickers?

Those are a pain in the ass to remove.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hairdryer.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GreatBazunka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a superscope complete in box off of ebay and the mastermind behind the sale decided that the superscope box also doubled as a shipping box and slapped the UPS label right on there and sent it off. No wrapping or packing at all. Anyway i complained and he refused to help me so i tried to remove the label. I slowly peeled and used a pipette with 90% iso alcohol to chase the peeling label. It left minimal resude and next to no damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh, all of you who suggest a hairdryer, what are you thinking? Didn't the OP say there was a sticker on the back label? You'll heat the glue on the sticker but you'll also heat up the label's glue too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also had some luck with high grade alcohol and patience on paper boxes. The result is nowhere near perfect (I would not try this on a "mint" box), but at least my FF3 looks way better without a giant price tag covering 15% of the box. What where they thinking back in the days, putting stickers straight on a game selling for 70-80 euro...

I'm considering to order one of the goo-gone pens over ebay and try it out. Have anyone tried it with stickers on snes or nes boxes?

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

I always use rubbing alcohol and also scrubbing bubbles.
    pour the rubbing alochol on a tisue then rub on the sticker then try to remove.. If nothing spray scrubbing bubbles on a tisue the rub on the label. Sometimes a mixture of both rubbing alcohol and scrubbing together on the tisue works.

Let me know if this works for you.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theChad View Post
    I use Goo Gone a lot, but you want to try to get as much of the sticker off as possible first. The Goo Gone just helps get rid of the sticky residue - if you put it right on the sticker, it just smears the colors around.

I'm not sure about trying to get a sticker off of the label though, you'd have to be really precise about what you were doing, otherwise you'll get the gunk off but the label colors will run.

If the sticker situation is really bad, remember that you can probably swap the rear case half off, and swap it with one from a common game (IE: you have a copy of final fantasy for NES with a sticker on the rear label, you can swap the rear of the cart with a mint super mario bros one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PixelSmasher View Post
    If the sticker situation is really bad, remember that you can probably swap the rear case half off, and swap it with one from a common game (IE: you have a copy of final fantasy for NES with a sticker on the rear label, you can swap the rear of the cart with a mint super mario bros one.
    Well, not Super Mario Bros. But any other cart game with a battery backup. They had different labels...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Lighter Fluid is the best sticker-on-plastic solvent I've ever used.

Of course, it's volatile, so I wouldn't reccomend using it around open flames ... and once the label is gone you would do well to wash the area where the lighter fluid was with a bit of warm soap and water.

But seriously, it'll take an NES label off right down to the plastic with minimal effort.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

Of course, it's volatile, so I wouldn't reccomend using it around open flames ...
    Geez. You're no fun.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently acquired an Atari 2600 that came with a nice little case that made it look like an old record player but it had a bunch of tape all over the cover and I tried to take it off by hand first and that did'nt do much. I then tried some Duct brand adhesive remover, which is much like the Cirtus Magic stuff that's oil based and non abrasive and that didn't work too well. I then tried the Goo Gone and that just messed up the whole cover. It basically made the cover look like the hood of a card that spent the past 20 years in someone's backyard that lives in Seattle.

Goo Gone does a great job but be careful with what you use it on. My first choice is always the Cirtus, non abrasive stuff though.