Thread: Question for fellow collectors of PS1 games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question for fellow collectors of PS1 games

I found a copy of Battle Arena Toshinden 1 on EBAY which i was super psyched about. Won the bid, and received the game today. I made sure it was NOT the greatest hits version because I detest those, as a collector.

I did not notice on the stock photo any sign of a "Not For Resale" version, and before this point didnt even know the game was ever a pack-in. The copy that arrived, does in fact say "not for resale" on the front cover and on the disc. Otherwise it is a black lable copy just like i prefer.

If your like me and detest the GH versions, would it bother you to have a not for resale on the cover and game disc? TECHNICALLY the game was not exactly as advertised, but i cant figure out if it bothers me enough to send it back and have to find another one elsewhere... i know this is kind of a personal peeve decision, but it would just be nice to know what others would do in my case.

thanks for any input!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It shouldn't bother you.

BAT was a pack-in as well as Ridge Racer, check here for details:
    http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playsta...kin/index.html

That jewel case version of BAT is the only non-GH regular jewel case release of it.

Just because it was a pack-in or a Greatest Hits doesn't make it any different from the rest of the gang. If you did not want the NFS version, you would need to settle for the GH jewel case version of the long box version.

I think the eBay stock photo is a photoshop cobbled down image of a long box into a jewel case, they have several like that.

Also, I'm a collector and I enjoy the GH releases...I actually collect them as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyr47 View Post
    "I did not notice on the stock photo"
    That says everything you need to know.

Don't take too much stock in stock photos, pardon the pun.

By the way, welcome to the forums.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the replies!

Ive decided to push aside my extreme OCD and be cool with it. To be fair i went back to the auction and in print he DID say it was a "not for resale" copy... and normally it would bother me but ya know what, the only reason i hate GH versions of ps1 games is because the green label makes them stand out on the shelf, but in this case you wouldnt even notice it until you pull the game out to look at it.. so whatever

Also, there were longbox versions available but i decided that would look just as odd next to tons of jewel case versions

do you know if there are some ps1 games ONLY available in longbox? game rave claims there are copies of "D" in jewel case but i cant find one anywhere

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i hate GH too, but sometimes i actually prefer a Not for Sale copy to regular copies (as long as its otherwise same as retail ie: NOT like star wars battlefront for psp).

im pretty sure D was longbox only. there were a lot a lot a lot of longbox only games, probably around 80-100.

i cant furnish a list right now, but i know some ps1 collectors on this forum can. ones off the top of my head:
    diskworld
    fade to black
    zoop
    a-train
    revolution x
    morta kombat 3 - released as GH in jewel
    viewpoint
    descent
    kileak
    braindead 13

some may be off, others do exist. good luck w/ ps1 collecting! its def my fav system to collect for!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyr47 View Post
    do you know if there are some ps1 games ONLY available in longbox? game rave claims there are copies of "D" in jewel case but i cant find one anywhere
    I have the jewel case version of D, so it definitely exists. It's just really hard to find. The DP Collector's Guide says the jewel case version is rarer than the longbox, but so far I've seen 2 jewels and 1 longbox of D. Guess it could be a regional thing. Or maybe I'm just lucky.
    Last edited by norkusa; 02-13-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm working on a big picture chart of long box / jewel case releases. Hopefully to be done in a week or two.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Kris (QOF) has or had a jewel case "D" too...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i can officially say im jealous! I never played D or heard about it until i had a dreamcast and on a whim picked up this random game called D2... needless to say i loved that game and never got around to the original because at that time i was all about playing current systems, not older ones... now i want to own and play it badly!

One more question about the longbox variations. On ebay its actually quite easy (Although not quite cheap) to pick up a black label longbox of the original resident evil. Its also relatively easy to pick up a black label directors cut of the original RE... what i cant seem to find is a black label jewel case version of the original resident evil that is NOT directors cut.

I know that the directors cut is probably superior but for some reason i would love to get my hands on the original copy, not directors cut (besides wasnt it kind of a lie? wasnt directors cut just as censored in the US release even though the japan version was uncut?)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok one more question!

I dont want to have more than one copy of a game just because it has 2 variations, so im stuck with games where you can get either jewel case or longbox.

Battle arena toshinden 1 and 2 are available in both longbox and jewel, but 3 is ONLY jewel case... so would you be more likely to try and get all 3 in jewel, or would you be okay with the first 2 in longbox and the 3rd in jewel? only problem i see with mixing is that i would want all my longbox together, and all jewel together, but then you would have your series split up...

gah decisions decisions!
    Last edited by Valkyr47; 02-14-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

as far as resident evil goes, the directors cut was the rerelease of the game and they put it into the jewel case, the original release was longbox only afaik.

if a game is longbox and jewel case, the jewel case is a rerelease. i always prefer to have the original releases.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok that makes sense, how do you sort it on your shelf though? do you put all longboxes together alphabetically, then jewel cases alphabetically, or do you keep series together even if some are longbox and some are jewel case?

i would hate to separate series, but at the same time i think it would look pretty bad to have longbox and jewel cases dispersed together

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i seperate out the series and have a longbox display and a jewel case display. i dont care too much about seperation out series... there are only like 3-5 series that span longbox to jewel case (out of hte ones you would even care about).

wait till you realize that there are actually like 3 different types of lonbox cases, and they all look rather different on the shelf hahahah.

youre very new to ps1 collecting, and as far as i can tell, wont get too deep into it or take it too far/seriously. sorry but it just seems like that.

ps1 collecting is also very expensive btw. probably one of the most expensive us retail console to get a great collection for (the neo geo takes top honors)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    i seperate out the series and have a longbox display and a jewel case display. i dont care too much about seperation out series... there are only like 3-5 series that span longbox to jewel case (out of hte ones you would even care about).

wait till you realize that there are actually like 3 different types of lonbox cases, and they all look rather different on the shelf hahahah.

youre very new to ps1 collecting, and as far as i can tell, wont get too deep into it or take it too far/seriously. sorry but it just seems like that.

ps1 collecting is also very expensive btw. probably one of the most expensive us retail console to get a great collection for (the neo geo takes top honors)
    I wish you all the luck in the world with your collection. You can do anything that you want if you put your mind to it. Don't let others tell you that you can't do things, just make sure that you have deep pockets!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since we're on the subject of RE variants, is there a non-GH release of the Resident Evil Dual Shock edition? I hate playing the original RE without dual shock controls, but I refuse to keep Greatest Hits titles in my PS1 collection.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

no norkusa there isnt. you can just put the GH cds into a non-GH case... or put them into the same case as your regular RE into like a sleeve or something, the longbox has lots of room.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Since we're on the subject of RE variants, is there a non-GH release of the Resident Evil Dual Shock edition? I hate playing the original RE without dual shock controls, but I refuse to keep Greatest Hits titles in my PS1 collection.
    If memory serves theres just a non GH version of the Directors Cut and I don't think its got Dual Shock support, but its late and my brain is a little wonky right now.

I've personally got all my Longboxes seperate from the Jewelcases because they store better on the shelves that way. Don't have so many titles, no biggie, have like 90+ longboxes before the regular PS games, not so much.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog