Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, I noticed the LEDs, which is why I thought "oh, that means they'll be sold separately. but I wonder how much they'll charge? this is why I thought it would be good if you asked your Hyperkin contact.

Unlike Retro-Bit, Hori, and many others, I am not currently partnered with anyone from Hyperkin, so I have no contact myself.

I'm pleased to hear the connections are solid. I'm just concerned about the vertical nature of NES carts.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

double post
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Yeah, I noticed the LEDs, which is why I thought "oh, that means they'll be sold separately. but I wonder how much they'll charge? this is why I thought it would be good if you asked your Hyperkin contact.

Unlike Retro-Bit, Hori, and many others, I am not currently partnered with anyone from Hyperkin, so I have no contact myself.

I'm pleased to hear the connections are solid. I'm just concerned about the vertical nature of NES carts.
    They have not released pricing on controllers, only pricing on the system so far.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I've got another question I've thought of.

In that last video posted, the Hyperkin rep stated that you can't have multiple game carts plugged at the same time, as it would confuse the system. What about controllers?

What happens if you plug an NES, SNES and Genesis controller all into their respective player 1 game ports? Assuming they're all mapped, say you're playing a Mega Man game for NES. can you (in theory, nobody would actually do this) be using say the NES controller and put it down, and then pick up either the SNES or Genesis controller and resume playing? In other words, choose any one of the controllers at any time, or does one connection override the others? I'm just curious how this works.

Along the same lines, can you mix and match controllers between players? In other words, say you're playing a vs match of Street fighter 2. Can the player 1 use an SNES controller, and the player 2 use a Genesis controller? I assume the answer is yes, but I'm just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got another question I've thought of.

In that last video posted, the Hyperkin rep stated that you can't have multiple game carts plugged at the same time, as it would confuse the system. What about controllers?

What happens if you plug an NES, SNES and Genesis controller all into their respective player 1 game ports? Assuming they're all mapped, say you're playing a Mega Man game for NES. can you (in theory, nobody would actually do this) be using say the NES controller and put it down, and then pick up either the SNES or Genesis controller and resume playing? In other words, choose any one of the controllers at any time, or does one connection override the others? I'm just curious how this works.

Along the same lines, can you mix and match controllers between players? In other words, say you're playing a vs match of Street fighter 2. Can the player 1 use an SNES controller, and the player 2 use a Genesis controller? I assume the answer is yes, but I'm just curious.
    You can not have multiple carts in at the same time, if you do it does throw an error. This is one issue I do have with the system. Is it a deal breaking issue? No, but it could potentially be annoying.

I will have to try out controllers. I know I have had NES controller plugged in while using the wireless and I could switch back and forth and that didn't seem to be an issue, but I have not tried with multiple controllers and using a different system's controller on second player and stuff like that.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, Hyperkin themselves already let the cat out of the bag with the fact that you can't have multiple carts plugged in all at once, but I don't see that a big deal. You're only going to be playing one game at a time anyway, and it may be possible that this changed in a firmware update.

I automatically assumed that you could have one wired controller plugged in and not interfere with the wireless one, since that's the way the Ouya works and the Ouya is a very similar Android based product to the RetroN5 when it boils down to it.

Please find out if you can have multiple wired controllers all plugged in at once and if they all work, or if one of them overrides the others, or if they become confused, or what.

Also the thing about mix 'n matching controllers for two player games either co-op or vs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Is it me or is this the best "looking" system in over a decade? Systems today are all butt ugly and all look somewhat the same. The last decent looking system was probably the Dreamcast.

The grey version looks amazing:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Is it me or is this the best "looking" system in over a decade? Systems today are all butt ugly and all look somewhat the same. The last decent looking system was probably the Dreamcast.

System doesn't looks exactly like that anymore. I posted some pictured on the previous page if you want to see them. That is obvious an early mock-up, GB slot is different a long with a few other details including the controller dock. You can also tell that the gray plastic was coated with a glossy clear coat or something to make it appear more shiny for the display, where as the beta unit I have and I assume the production units probably won't be glossy like that (the gray part that is, the top black plastic is shiny still). Some people have said they think the system is very ugly. I disagree, I think the system looks pretty good. Obviously that's all subjective though, but its the only clone besides the Generation NEX that I thought looked good.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Wiggy, whom I have a deep respect for, has heavily criticized the system for being one of the ugliest things he's seen. There is no general agreement on if the system is good or bad looking.

Personally, I think it's so-so. There are some elements that I really like about it, like the controller cradle in the back and the order of the carts putting Famicom right in the front, but I don't like the color schemes (Gray, black....purple? red or blue would have been a more fitting color) and absolutely HATE the idea that the controller cords on on the sides and not on the front of the machine. As far as I'm concerned, this is a carry over of one of the worst design choices of the RetroN3. Most people, including myself, plan to keep their Retron5 alongside other consoles like the PS3 or Xbox 360 in a row. but the RetroN5 won't allow you to do that because it has to be greedy with its sides leaving room for controller cords. Hyperkin should have put them in the front and they loose major points in my book because of this glaring flaw that must have been deliberately designed that way.

I'd love to know what the hell the designer at Hyperkin was thinking. Venting concerns perhaps? I suppose I won't have any idea until I get mine and tear it open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah this looks pretty sweet. Looks like something out of Dead Space. My fat PS3 is a sweet looking console and the last favourite of mine. the new PS4 looks like two PS2s stacked on each other and the Xbox One although not ugly looks run of the mill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

If you're gonna image quote, at least image quote the one that ISN'T a mock-up unit. That image above is a prealpha mockup, unlikely to even function.

This is what the system actually looks like, thanks to stoneagegamer:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're gonna image quote, at least image quote the one that ISN'T a mock-up unit. That image above is a prealpha mockup, unlikely to even function.

This is what the system actually looks like, thanks to stoneagegamer:

Im aware that its not the final version. Ive seen the actual console and my thoughts are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    It sure is. However, I just can't see how anyone can possibly think a system such as the Wii U looks good. It looks like an external CD-ROM from the mid-late 90's. Here is how they could have made it into a beauty, but oh no, God forbid they come up with a cool retro design:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To me, I think the Wii U looks great. I like that NES mockup of it though. Too bad that Nintendo didn't cash in on nostalgia with that design since it would be an attention grabber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, I don't think there's anything really ugly about the WiiU. It's pretty much fine the way it is. To anyone who thinks the WiiU is ugly, how about looking at systems from years gone by, like the TurboGrfx-16, CD-i, or....

This.

The videogame world is not kind of Brazil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah, I don't think there's anything really ugly about the WiiU. It's pretty much fine the way it is. To anyone who thinks the WiiU is ugly, how about looking at systems from years gone by, like the TurboGrfx-16, CD-i, or....

This.

I think that one looks cool, but the TG-16 wasn't so good. I guess I'm just a bit gaudy. Even my Christmas tree has to be extremely busy. To me the Wii U is too plain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This.

You know, apart from the power switch and stupidly big and gaudy logo, I kinda dig it. I especially like the Sonic in the upper right.
    Last edited by treismac; 03-08-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh whoops. I totally linked to the wrong image. yeah, that master system by tectoy is....alright.

this one is not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNR0A6IkC8s

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh whoops. I totally linked to the wrong image. yeah, that master system by tectoy is....alright.

this one is not:

Meh, that still looks way better than that horrible Pikachu N64.

I don't think Wii U looks bad, just a little bland. The PC CD-ROM comparison was apt.

I kinda like the look of the R5, but can see why someone might not.

I miss Cartoon Orbit! Drclaw411's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

"Calling all trolls! Come take your "constructive" comments and say it to our faces. Ask everything you ever wanted to ask; we dare you to ask for a release date. Take a picture with our red hippo. Talk smack on high school students while begging for a RetroN 5. Play us in a round of retro gaming - just don't be a noob. But above all else, give yourself a reason to come out of that garage or your mom's basement. Oh, and please, take a shower first."

Looks like Hyperkin is getting a tad butthurt lol

http://hyperkin.com/showlist