Thread: Ys Ark of Napishtim (PSP) game save problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Ys Ark of Napishtim (PSP) game save problem

I FINALLY bought a PSP-3000 yesterday. The $150 K Mart deal was too good to pass up and now I can actually play the 17 PSP games that I have accumulated over the past 4 years. YAY!

I bought a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Magic Gate Mark2 4GB card. So far everything has worked perfect. I put some pictures and movies on it and it worked great! I am very impressed with the multimedia aspect. I then selected to Format the card through the PSP menu and try out my games.

I played Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Gradius Collection, Wild Arms XF and Wipeout Pure. All played perfectly and saved perfectly. But Ys The Ark of Napishtim consistently greets me with the same screen when it starts.

"This Memory Stick Duo does not have enough free space. To save game data, at least 256 KB must be available. Continue without saving?"

Since the message says Memory Stick Duo, could it be that it is incompatible with my Memory Stick "Pro" Duo? It's a 4GB card so I know it has the 256k available. Any suggestions would be GREATLY welcome.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Why not just continue and then try to save in game at the first save point? I haven't played Ys6 for PSP so I don't know. You could always PM Press Start since he's reviewed it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

either you bought a fake card or that is one of the early games that doesnt have support for memory cards greater than a certain amount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Did you format your stick through PSP?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Where did you get the card? 'Cause it sounds like a bogus one to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Why not just continue and then try to save in game at the first save point?
    I was going to do that but didn't have time. I only had a few hours to mess around with it. After work today I tried it out. I just ignored the screen about the memory stick and played until I hit the first save point. I saved several files and they all seem to work. It's just odd that it gives me that screen, and only on this game...

Regardless, it works! Now I just need to find the time to beat Ark of Napishtim... Ys 7 is only a month away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    either you bought a fake card or that is one of the early games that doesnt have support for memory cards greater than a certain amount.
    I am assuming It just has trouble recognizing the 4gb card. Is there a list of PSP games that don't support or have issues with the larger cards?

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Did you format your stick through PSP?
    Oh yeah. I mentioned that in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Where did you get the card? 'Cause it sounds like a bogus one to me.
    Nah. It's an official Sony branded card for the PSP. I got it at K Mart last Sunday when I bought my PSP. They had a handful of them on clearance for 19.99 for a 4GB.

Well, it looks like my problem is solved. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Also just a side note, but every review I ever read about Ys 6 on the PSP always talked about horrible load times were and how they ruined the game. Maybe the PSP-3000 loads faster or something, because I was prepared for something much worse. There is a lot of drive access, but the load times aren't bad at all imo.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Also just a side note, but every review I ever read about Ys 6 on the PSP always talked about horrible load times were and how they ruined the game. Maybe the PSP-3000 loads faster or something, because I was prepared for something much worse. There is a lot of drive access, but the load times aren't bad at all imo.
    It's one of the games that the slim actually helps cut down on load times. Here are two videos of Ys6 load times on the PSP Slim(2000 or 3000) with umd cache on and Ys6 load times on the PSP Phat. The slims probably take a second to load while the Phat takes 6-10. I'm going to eventually pick up the PSP version as well because on the slim the load times are even better than the PS2 version.

When the game was released I heard it carried load times of up to a minute, but after seeing the videos the game having minute long load times was probably just a bash against the PSP from people who didn't own the system and obviously every game has terrible load times(sarcasm.) The load times at 10 seconds are extremely long and I wouldn't have enjoyed it on the PSP Phat that's for sure though. So for that, yeah, but not as long as people were throwing out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pa-Siu2kZA PSP Slim
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjkGo3SMbYY PSP Phat
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-13-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the videos. The difference is quite noticeable between the Phat and the 2000/3000.

Having played a bit more I understand how the cache works. The first time you come to a new screen it takes a few seconds to load or when you gain a level it has to load the beam of light animation. But once it has loaded the stuff it keeps in in memory. So the first time you come to a new area it takes a few seconds to load but after that it moves along briskly. However, scripted in game cutscenes, since they don't repeat, usually take a while to load.

All in all I am VERY satisfied with the PSP and Ys 6!