Thread: classic gaming vs modern gaming

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

I don't know, I suppose if it means that much to you to get Darkstalkers, go for it, but if Darkstalkers isn't your series of choice and is merely a random blip in your radar (which it seems to be). I'd wait on it, seriously. Part of what I like about collecting is the thrill of the hunt, going out and seeing what is being released into the wild every day, does it need to be sealed mint? not for me, I want games I can play and enjoy. So mint? yes. sealed? nah.

Is it worth it to you to have something that cost you $150 that is a mere blip in your radar that you could likely get for much cheaper someday? I mean I have see Darkstalkers in the wild, it is really not that uncommon, not $150 uncommon.

I'd say go for the Wii, there is some fun stuff on it to enjoy, and you can enjoy with friends. Darkstalkers your shelf gets to enjoy and you get to know that that checkmark cost you $150, when you'll likely see the game for $4.50 in the timeframe of 2 years.

That's just me though.

I guess I also feel the need to point this out: http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=27271
    Last edited by Letiumtide; 12-25-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

I have never been tempted or motivated to purchase any of the newer generation of gaming systems. I am a gamer that lives in the past. And I am having a blast and loving every moment of it. I mostly purchase the older games of yesterday. The only modern system that I have is a DS. The last few months I have purchased games for the N64, NES, Neo Geo CD, Original GB, GBC, Atari Jaguar, Atari Lynx, and the Sega Genesis. I am right now waiting for a few games to arrive for a few of these systems. I had two games in the mail yesterday, one for the Original GB and one for the N64. And I am seriously thinking about Bangai-O for the N64 which is priced around $100 USD and above. I already have it for my Dreamcast, but I want a cart version of the game. So I can easily understand you wanting that copy of Darkstalkers. I spend all of my gaming time with the older smörgåsbord of past systems.

So, for me, it is the games of the past that are the most fun to me. I do collect, but I collect to play. I am totally a retro junkie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    alxbly
    PSN
    alxbly

Quote Originally Posted by FxMercenary View Post
    360 Good/Bad... GTA IV was delayed release just to work around making it fit on 1 disc
    That seems contrary to most stuff I'd seen in the press; the "blame" seemed to have been pointed squarely at the PS3 because it was more difficult to program for:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/24/ro...was-a-contrib/

Anyway, back to the topic.

If it was a straight choice between the Wii or a retro game I really desired... I'd probably have gone for the game. I hate the feeling of having missed the moment (especially with something you really want in new/sealed condition... and especially if it's really difficult to find in such good condition). Plus, I know that modern consoles are only gonna come down in price. That said, I own every console from the current gen except a PSP so maybe it's easier to decide in retrospect...
    Xbox Live: alxbly | PSN: alxbly | Wii friend code: 2326 4589 7536 6941

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It is a mix. It all depends on what I can get for $10 or less. There are a lot of great last gen games that you can now get for under $10 (complete) if you don't mind buying them used.

I completely phased out my Atari, NES and SNES collections in the past 12 months, though. Other than my Genesis and my old Gameboy(s), all the stuff I own these days is PS1 or newer. Sure, there is the Atari Flashback 2 that I have but that hardly counts as a full blown system to me.

I was always more of a Genesis man than an SNES guy, so I'll always keep that system around and I should put some effort into adding to my Genesis collection again, come to think of it.
    Last edited by bangtango; 12-27-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    how about you?
    It really depends. When the time comes to buy new or older games the decision is always a toss up, as classic games are just as relevant to me as next gen ones. Like recently, I was all set on getting two sealed PS1 games that I wanted to add to my collection and play also. But Elder Scrolls IV GotY edition for the PS3 just dropped down to the $29 price point. I have the original Oblivion, but I've been dying to play Shivering Isles for the longest time. So having the GotY edition drop sown to the price of expansion alone made things complicated. I went with the PS3 game, and I don't regret it. But I still have to get those PS1 games at some point. You could say my choice came down to what I wanted to play first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got to admit, I haven't bought any of the latest Gen consoles yet (lurves my DS and PSP though!), but if I were to buy one, I'd probably be most tempted by the Wii because of the great selection of classic titles available for download on that system - getting all those old TG16, SNES, NES, Genisis and NeoGeo classics and having them all available to play on one convenient system would be pretty sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    You also said you want to spend $150 on a new Lynx. So let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here: are you buying all of these factory sealed/new games/systems to play or to collect? I collect factory sealed items too so I'm not looking down on you at all. But if I wanted to add Darkstalkers to my collection just to play, I wouldn't be wasting $150 on it. I'd find a nice mint affordable copy and would play that.
    Of course, some of us are willing to pay a premium for a new, unopened Lynx just for the privilege of doing this:

Worth every penny! imho...

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post
    I don't know, I suppose if it means that much to you to get Darkstalkers, go for it, but if Darkstalkers isn't your series of choice and is merely a random blip in your radar (which it seems to be). I'd wait on it, seriously. Part of what I like about collecting is the thrill of the hunt, going out and seeing what is being released into the wild every day, does it need to be sealed mint? not for me, I want games I can play and enjoy. So mint? yes. sealed? nah.

Is it worth it to you to have something that cost you $150 that is a mere blip in your radar that you could likely get for much cheaper someday? I mean I have see Darkstalkers in the wild, it is really not that uncommon, not $150 uncommon.

I'd say go for the Wii, there is some fun stuff on it to enjoy, and you can enjoy with friends. Darkstalkers your shelf gets to enjoy and you get to know that that checkmark cost you $150, when you'll likely see the game for $4.50 in the timeframe of 2 years.

That's just me though.

I guess I also feel the need to point this out: http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=27271
    I know loose copies of Darkstalkers aren't rare, but I assume that sealed copies are, so that's why it costs $150 to obtain them... there was one on Amazon for $150 too, but I'm pretty sure it was the same seller on ebay... if it's not, then some longbox PS1 collector is gonna end up getting the one on Amazon, cause I got the Fighter's Edge edition to match my copy of Darkstalkers 3... maybe I should've got the longbox version for that price, but honestly if I could replace the few longbox games I own with regular versions, I would... that's the one thing I hate about the PS1... they should've reissued every longbox game in regular form, not just some of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jimid2 View Post
    I've got to admit, I haven't bought any of the latest Gen consoles yet (lurves my DS and PSP though!), but if I were to buy one, I'd probably be most tempted by the Wii because of the great selection of classic titles available for download on that system - getting all those old TG16, SNES, NES, Genisis and NeoGeo classics and having them all available to play on one convenient system would be pretty sweet...

Of course, some of us are willing to pay a premium for a new, unopened Lynx just for the privilege of doing this:

Worth every penny! imho...
    WORD! now that's what I'm talkin about! my next $150 is going for that!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What does Darkstalkers have that Night Warriors doesn't? If I remember correctly, Night Warriors has an option to play with the original Darkstalkers backgrounds and music, so Darkstalkers only offers different character select screens and artwork, plus a game system with fewer moves (and, in the PSX version, some slowdown).
    Last edited by Kid Fenris; 01-29-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.