Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Resident Evil?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default What is your favorite Resident Evil?

Since there are so many mixed opinions about Resident Evil 6, maybe we can harken back to a time when the series was good and discuss our favorite titles. Or maybe you love Resident Evil 6 and it's your favorite.

Anyways. Resident Evil 2 was my favorite for the longest time. The difficulty, story, characters, setting was the best for the longest time. It's still an amazing game, and it's still my favorite, but it's actually more of being tied for my favorite game rather than being exclusively my favorite game. Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2 are the others.

Resident Evil Outbreak got way more hate than Resident Evil 6 is getting I think. So much hate that Outbreak File 2's sales were so low that the game was MSRP of $19.99 in less than two weeks. The only major problem that both games in this series had is the long load times, especially on the first game, but aside from that the series really pushed the survival horror aspect of the series where Resident Evil 4 took the series towards "shooter." If you think about it, this could very well be why Capcom chose the departure of survival horror. So it's more of the fans fault as to why the series is what it is today.

Outbreak starred eight characters, all with their own unique skillsets. There were no super cop characters like Chris, Leon, Jill, etc, just your everday ordinary characters. Examples of the characters are David who can combine other weapons together, Kevin who can take off much more damage with guns(after waiting for him to take aim,) Mark who can take off more damage with melee items, Alyssa who can unlock doors using her lockpick kit and more damage with guns(like Kevin but weaker,) etc. There are both ranged and melee weapons in the game. Ranged includes more than just guns, as you can use a nail gun to either shoot nails at zombies or you can use them on boards to barricade an area until zombies break through, but melee you've got knives, sticks, crutches, iron pipes, etc.

The game played in scenarios where once you completed one scenario, you would unlock others. The first scenario started with each of these characters in J's Bar, and it showed off a feature where the zombies don't just stay in one location. In this portion of the game, zombies continued to come through the front of J's Bar no matter how many you killed. Zombies would break open the doors and follow you wherever they could. While the zombies didn't continue breaking through in all scenario and it was possible to kill them all in some of them, this feature of zombies and other monsters not being contained to a single room was in every scenario. This feature added so much to the game because now, you really weren't completely safe anywhere. The hospital had the Leechman, which could go through doors, but could also climb through vents and drop down in a room that you may be in.

If you play this game and it's at all possible, I'd highly recommend playing on PS2 with the hard drive so you can reduce the length of the load times. I haven't tried running the game with a PS2 emulator or fast disc loading speed on the PS3 so I don't know if they'd do anything, but aside from the poor load times, this is a really good game. Outbreak File 2 was mostly the same as the first but different scenarios, slightly reduced load times, and the ability to move while readying weapons, including guns(which is weird that they went backwards and took that feature away on RE5.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Not only my favorite RE, but my favorite action/adventure game of it's generation.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    beat_roc

Resident Evil 4 was my favorite too, but to be fair I didn't hop on to the RE bandwagon until then and I've only tried RE1 since then, and I just could not get used to the controls. I did try the DS version too, and didn't like it. Not to say RE1 is a bad game, I would never say that, but I got into the series too late to ever get used to the archaic controls.

I've played the GCN, PS2, and Wii versions of RE4, and I felt that the GCN version was the best, followed closely by the Wii version, and then the PS2 version. I never cared for the PS2 version very much.

One of these days I'm going to pick up RE5, and then RE6 when it gets down to $20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The original Resident Evil on Playstation. I would have said Resident Evil 2 for the longest time, myself. I'd still say 2 is the superior game, but perhaps nostalgia set in and I look back more fondly now upon the original. I can remember just about every area and scenario from RE 1, it was just so memorable to me.

Though I regard it highly, I've never been a big fan of RE 4.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine is still RE2. It had a creepy atmosphere and gave me a real sense of tension. My 2nd favorite is the original, followed by RE4 in 3rd. RE4 was more action oriented but still felt like a survivor horror game. RE5 was a good action game, but the horror part was gone.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The first two, on Playstation.

I was one of those guys who bought a Playstation for Final Fantasy VII, and within months of owning the device I wound up feeling like "this gaming generation is shit. I want to go back to the SNES." But I had a $20 Wal-Mart gift card and just happened to see a copy of Resident Evil: Director's Cut (the one with the RE2 demo) at the store... long story short, Resident Evil was the game that made me believe in the Playstation.

To this day, I still think its fantastic. Its got action, its actually genuinely creepy at times, the story is an engaging mystery that gradually unfolds, and lots of ass gets kicked all over the place.

That being said, its only recently that I sought out the rest of the series, and Resident Evil 2 is right up there as a favorite. The game just improves on the first in every way except one--there's a definite downgrade in the mysterious atmosphere, and its more straightforward action. But hey, I love blowing up alligators, don't you?

While I liked Nemesis and Code Veronica, to me they felt like where the series started getting thin. Nemesis was basically an expansion pack. Code Veronica on the other hand felt like it was trying to be some sort of epic conclusion to the saga, and I felt it was kind of belabored, but still fun.

I actually own two copies of RE2 (PS1 and PC "Platinum Edition"), RE3 (PS1 and Dreamcast) and Code Veronica (Dreamcast and PS2, with the DMC demo disk). Working on finding the Dreamcast RE2. Why? Well... I love blowing up alligators, don't you?

I used to own a copy of Resident Evil Gaiden on Gameboy Color. Like a moron, I sold it. I wish I hadn't. If anyone's willing to offer me a reasonable price on it, let me know.

Now for the somewhat controversial opinion bit: I'm one of those weirdos who thinks Survivor is an underappreciated gem. Dino Crisis 1 is good too by the way (and available on Dreamcast... yes I want it), I've never played Dino Crisis 2, 3 or Stalker.

I have Resident Evil Zero and 4 for the Gamecube. I'm... on the fence about RE4 at the moment, and unfortunately I got Zero at the tail end of an RE phase so burnout prevented me from playing it, but maybe its time to tackle it for Halloween.

EDIT: By the way, Resident Evil is, and has always been, better than Silent Hill

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Resident Evil 4. It's the perfect video game.

I really enjoyed RE2 as well, but It felt like I was fighting the game for every enjoyable minute I had with it. I never adapted to the tank controls, even after beating the game, and I'm one of those guys who's always considered the RE story to be convoluted anime garbage. The level and encounter design in RE2 saves it though. I'd love a remake. Without tank controls, obviously.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is your favorite Resident Evil?

Resident Evil 4. Love the movement control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I really enjoyed RE2 as well, but It felt like I was fighting the game for every enjoyable minute I had with it. I never adapted to the tank controls, even after beating the game, and I'm one of those guys who's always considered the RE story to be convoluted anime garbage. The level and encounter design in RE2 saves it though. I'd love a remake. Without tank controls, obviously.
    The N64 version has an option for regular controls, in addition to the old tank controls. It actually made the game playable.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Not a popular opinion but 3 Nemesis was always my favorite of the series.

I can't pin it to one particular thing but I think the biggest reason was after getting involved in the story after RE2 I really wanted to see more of Raccoon City during the crisis and RE3 delivered on that. It was so much more horrifying imo seeing people actually being devoured on the streets and the chaos in the streets then running through the mostly empty Police Station/Sewers/Umbrella Lab scenarios that RE2 presented. That and the first time playing RE2 through both scenarios had me jumping hard at the appearances of Mr.X which I felt was done better with Nemesis's semi-random appearances always keeping you on your toes.

RE3 was the only RE game I've played again and again in succession, even ended up speed running it for all of the additional bits of ending you would get with better ranks. Overall I just had more fun with it then any other RE game. Now I love RE4 as a close second for all its atmosphere and shaking up of the status quo it did to the series but personally RE3 will always be my favorite.

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

The only one I ever played was RE5. I went through the entire game several times with my brother, and we managed to destroy the game on every skill setting. Seeing as how I thoroughly enjoyed myself the whole time, I guess that means it's my favorite. RE6 tho, has been a disappointment so far... sad to say.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone ever seen the re4 death scenes on youtube? It is amazing how they crammed so much into the gamecube little disc. re1 holds a special place as well as the remake. I like re zero and especially re4 . These ones stand out to me.
    neo geo system

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE4. Followed by Code Veronica.

I own 1, Code Veronica, 4, and the Chronicles games. I've played 2,3, and Zero. I've always fought the control of RE. No surprise that my two favorite RE games were ones that controlled better, had a complete story within the universe and still maintained the survivor horror feeling.
    Last edited by crazyjackcsa; 10-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Has anyone ever seen the re4 death scenes on youtube? It is amazing how they crammed so much into the gamecube little disc. re1 holds a special place as well as the remake. I like re zero and especially re4 . These ones stand out to me.
    Yeah, I've watche that and a few other death compilations on youtube. RE 4 shows the most graphic deaths and RE2 was the only one that actually showed the zombies eating the protagonist if you lose.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE4 without a doubt. Not only were the graphics well done. The story, the game play made 4 one of my favorite games of all time. Will also add that I feel it had one of the best systems to access your weapons and other items you pick up in the game. The cases were very organized. With the new game part 6 the access screen is horse shit. I like to pause the game and re arrange my cases like I was able to do in part 4. Part 6 my biggest complaint is that the access menu is not very organized and there is nothing you can do about it and found myself sporadically selecting incorrect items when I was in a hurry and needed to swap weapons fast.

I said this in another thread. Part 6 also got a lower score for not including a darn book!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the first two games, thought 3 and CV were pretty good, and then just lost interest.
    RE4 pretty much killed the series for me. It's an action game with tank controls and briefcase tetris. It's still a fine game, but it's not even in the same genre as the earlier games as far as I'm concerned. Even though the character movement and aiming are more precise than previous games, the increased focus on fast action makes it feel clumsier.
    REmake is my favourite. Everything added to the game seems like it should have been there in the first place.
    RE0 has the most refined gameplay mechanics of any 'classic' RE, but it's just sort of ho-hum.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Playstation Resident Evil 1 & 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite of the "classic style" is Code Veronica. I love RE4, probably moreso, but I consider it in a separate category. RE5 was a disappointment. It reminded me of RE0, which I also didn't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

RE2 and Code Veronica are tied for favorite. REmake gets honorable mention.

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Has anyone ever seen the re4 death scenes on youtube? It is amazing how they crammed so much into the gamecube little disc.
    TWO little gamecube discs

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I actually own two copies of RE2 (PS1 and PC "Platinum Edition"), RE3 (PS1 and Dreamcast) and Code Veronica (Dreamcast and PS2, with the DMC demo disk). Working on finding the Dreamcast RE2. Why? Well... I love blowing up alligators, don't you?
    I have the DC version of RE2 (in addition to the PSX Dual Shock version), and it's really not worth hunting down. Shoddy port, based on the PC version, running on Windows CE.

I used to own a copy of Resident Evil Gaiden on Gameboy Color. Like a moron, I sold it. I wish I hadn't. If anyone's willing to offer me a reasonable price on it, let me know.
    I used to own a copy as well, sealed in box, but I returned it to Walmart when I noticed they'd charged me $30 for it. I grabbed it out of a bin with mostly $20 games in it, and didn't notice it actually had a $30 tag on it, and I wasn't about to spend $30 on a GBC game at that particular time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    The original Resident Evil on Playstation. I would have said Resident Evil 2 for the longest time, myself. I'd still say 2 is the superior game, but perhaps nostalgia set in and I look back more fondly now upon the original. I can remember just about every area and scenario from RE 1, it was just so memorable to me.

Though I regard it highly, I've never been a big fan of RE 4.
    Wow, couldn't have said it better. The original will always hold that special place with me as well, at the time it was amazing and truly it still has the best atmosphere of the series imo.

My second favorite would be Code Veronica, it just nailed that great atmosphere again yet seemed like a new game with new elements that added and didn't detract from the gameplay. Third fave is Resident Evil 2 and fourth is Resident Evil 5. Didn't care for 3,4 or any of the offshoots, though "Zero" and the remakes on the gamecube were quite good.