Thread: Final Fantasy IV - Gameboy Advance

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Final Fantasy IV - Gameboy Advance

I'm currently trying to build up a nice final fantasy games collection. Recently I bought FFIV for the gameboy advance but i have a feeling it might be a bootleg copy. I'm hoping someone might own a real version so i can compare a couple of things:

first thing i found strange was the cover art and manual are a bit blurry, also the manual only has 6 pages and none of the usual warnings and precautions (dont swallow this game or put it in a fire etc).

I would much rather have real games in my collection,
    thanks for any help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If this is a thread about bootleg GBA games, you can definitely make your thread title reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Perj View Post
    also the manual only has 6 pages and none of the usual warnings and precautions (dont swallow this game or put it in a fire etc).
    Definitely a fake. I saw a bootleg FFVI copy very much like that once. I'm guessing the cart has a little circular sticker over where the tri-wing screw should be.

Probably the best way to check for bootlegginess is to look inside the cart (without opening it up), just above the connector. A genuine cart will have the Nintendo logo on the circuit board.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The real manual should have 41 numbered pages + the 2 warning pages in the back. Also a real cartridge has 2 numbers (sometimes one) stamped into the cart, always to the right when the label is facing you (Mine are E3 and 13). To my knowledge, pirates will never have the stamped numbers (though if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for your help, the card does not have the nintendo logo on the circuit board, i compared it with my zelda minish cap cart which had it in the right place. There was no sticker over the tri screw but the screw itself looked cheap compared to the genuine one. Oh well, will start looking for a real FF IV, still need V and VI also, got a I & II dawn of souls on its way in the post, hopefully in nice condition. From now on i will make the titles of my threads more clear to reflect the post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another easy way to tell is just look at the label. I've yet to see a bootleg GBA cart that didn't have a label that was applied poorly and crooked, unlike machine applied labels to genuine carts. Also, I've never seen a bootleg that had that pressed code on the front label.

Or just insert it into your system. Due to how the cartridge casings are manufactured by bootleggers, they don't insert as easily as a factory cartridge since the casings are slightly out of spec due to how they derive their moldings and produce them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

My experience, twice, was with Metroid Fusion for GBA. Paid full pride (35,000 won or something) to have the battery crap out on me about three months into owning them. Upon close inspection after the SECOND purchase (first one I'd gotten used and though, oh, well, it was used...) was that the box did look "wrong" but the dead give away is the "Nintendo" printed on the back of the cart is really "Ninfendo"

I feel your annoyance and pain.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

My third copy of Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis was a bootleg. The cover, while similar, was still different. Instead of showing just Alphonse, it shows both characters on the front cover. With Tactics Ogre still on the top. I am only going from memory here as I'm not sure where that copy is so I can't tell anything else about it.

Also. I'd recommend either skipping FF4 Advance. Both the US versions and PAL versions have their good and bad. You either got an extremely laggy and buggy version, but the control during battle doesn't have framerate issues, or you have a a version without the lag, terrible framerate while you control the battle menu so sometimes may be unresponsive, and the bugs are still there just not as bad.

If you want the best version, PSX version with Chronicles is the way to go. You also get a copy of Chrono Trigger with high loading times.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A guy at my local flea market has about a dozen of these bootleg FFIVs left, CIB. I've seen the carts traded into GameStops as well. Out of all the GBA bootlegs I've seen, I've oddly seen FFIV the most often.