Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a PS3 purchase worth it at this point?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Question Is a PS3 purchase worth it at this point?

As a gamer my Xbox 360 just has not proved satisfactory. Don't get me wrong I love Rock Band and my Kinect games but as for normal run-of-the-mill controller based games I just don't see the fun. I love game systems like Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, PS1, and N64 for consoles so I just assumed I was a "Retro Gamer." But then I discovered I was in love with PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox original, so I knew I was a gamer for all decades and the only console I didn't like as much anymore was my Xbox 360. I thought then that I just would have to see If a new console came out, when at gamestop yesterday with my friend I spot a PS3. I remembered my friends telling me post-Xbox 360 purchase, that the PS3 was the way to go. I of course thought it was filled with games similar to Xbox 360 (First person shooters without a light gun? No thank you.) so I never played one until yesterday. I tried out a Ratchet and Clank demo (A PS3 exclusive) remembering how much I loved the PS2 versions. It was up to four players which was very appealing, so my friend an I played through it and beat the demo like 3 times. We were in love with the game and wondered if the PS3 had more awesome games to offer. I tried Uncharted 3 and loved the split second button pressing mayhem and state of the art Blu-ray graphics. I was surprised the PS3 wasn't chock full of FPS's like the 360. Then I started to see FPS's and I started to lose hope... But suddenly I saw they could be played with an AWESOME LOOKING LIGHT GUN!!! I LOVE light gun games, so this definitely held my interest. All that, plus PS2 and PS1 backwards compatability? It seemed too good to be true, but after some research, it seemed as a saw it.

So after reading that, you probably have guessed my question. Is it worth it to get a PS3 at this point in it's lifespan? Will a PS4 come out soon with backwards compatability? Should I wait, or get the PS3? I ask beacause my 15th birthday is in July, and a PS3 seems like a perfect Birthday present.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I'm in the same boat. I've essentially been PS3less for about a year. Works fine, it's just that the thermostat is screwed, so the fan runs when it shouldn't. My 20GB was my baby, and I very reluctantly packed it up a few months ago and put it in the closet.

I want to buy a new slim this fall, but with Sony's new console being next year, part of me wants to take a wait and see approach. It's not that I wouldn't get any use out of it, as I have quite a few games (not too mention A LOT of PSN stuff) , but it's the cost factor.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

No. The PS3 is a terrible system, get a Wii.

All kidding aside, the PS3 has the best line up of exclusives and multiconsole titles this generation. It took them awhile to get there and for few years, the 360 was the go to console having the better exclusives and all the multiconsole titles the PS3 had. Sony has been churning out great first party titles on a regular basis, they've been getting a lot of amazing exclusives, and most of the best exclusives for the 360 took a year or two, but have since came out on the PS3.

If you import, then even more so. Gundam Extreme Vs is definitely worth it, as you don't need to know Japanese in order to enjoy the game.

Then there's also PSN+. It's $50 for a year and it's pretty much a monthly rental service, but it's a damn good program, and if I didn't hate digital content so much and wanted to own a physical copy, then I'd pay the $50 a year for it. Well. That and my best friend pays for PSN+ and I just gameshare with him. Anyways. Each month you get quite a few PSN games, usually it's one really good item and the other ones range from good to mediocre. Some of the games, if it wasn't for the PS+ I never would have played being digital only. This month alone is offering Just Cause 2, Far Cry 2, Infamous 2, LBP2, Warhammer 40,000, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown(just came out this month,) and Hard Corps Uprising as the games that I'd say are either really good or good. People will argue that everything on there is random and you might not get anything you'd like, which is true, but what has been released has been good for the most part(although this months releases, I already own everything aside from Far Cry 2, Warhammer, Ratchet and Clank, and the digital titles.) If it runs out in a year and you don't resubscribe, once you resubscribe is when the games you previously subscribed to will be available to play again as well as new games offered, so it's worth it. Every month PSX titles are also pushed onto there as well. One month every Syphon Filter game was on the PSN+, another month the entire Crash series, Spyro series, Final Fantasy 5, SotN, and Castlevania Chronicles. Those are just the ones that I remember. PSN+ is a great deal. If I wasn't game sharing with my friend, I'd get it for myself, and even thought about getting my own on a few occassions because my friend has two PS3s, which I sometimes deactivate my account so his kid can play games on other console.

*edit*

Btw. The PS3 is not backwards compatible for PS2 games on newer models. PSX games yes, but not PS2 games. If you want a backwards compatible model, I'd suggest looking up the codes on a Wiki somewhere for the 20 and 60GB model numbers and pick one of those up on Ebay. Sony is allowing you to send your console back now and get a refurbished version of the exact same model you currently own, so you could always find a cheap one on Ebay and then send it in for a replacement, although the replacement is $100 something, you'll get practically a brand new 60GB PS3.

If you don't mind keeping your PS2 and then using your PS3 for just PSX and PS3 games, then I'd say get a newer model. I think they come standard with a 320GB hard drive now so you won't have to upgrade your hard drive like those of us with a 60GB more than likely did.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-25-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I think they come standard with a 320GB hard drive now so you won't have to upgrade your hard drive like those of us with a 60GB more than likely did.

Actually, there's two models available right now. A 160 GB and the 320 GB model. So you've got a choice, depending on how much storage space you need.

I'm personally hoping for a permanent price drop on the system. But I don't expect that to happen until Sony's next system is announced.
    Last edited by SEGA_Queen; 06-25-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    As a gamer my Xbox 360 just has not proved satisfactory. Don't get me wrong I love Rock Band and my Kinect games but as for normal run-of-the-mill controller based games I just don't see the fun. I love game systems like Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, PS1, and N64 for consoles so I just assumed I was a "Retro Gamer." But then I discovered I was in love with PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox original, so I knew I was a gamer for all decades and the only console I didn't like as much anymore was my Xbox 360. I thought then that I just would have to see If a new console came out, when at gamestop yesterday with my friend I spot a PS3. I remembered my friends telling me post-Xbox 360 purchase, that the PS3 was the way to go. I of course thought it was filled with games similar to Xbox 360 (First person shooters without a light gun? No thank you.) so I never played one until yesterday. I tried out a Ratchet and Clank demo (A PS3 exclusive) remembering how much I loved the PS2 versions. It was up to four players which was very appealing, so my friend an I played through it and beat the demo like 3 times. We were in love with the game and wondered if the PS3 had more awesome games to offer. I tried Uncharted 3 and loved the split second button pressing mayhem and state of the art Blu-ray graphics. I was surprised the PS3 wasn't chock full of FPS's like the 360. Then I started to see FPS's and I started to lose hope... But suddenly I saw they could be played with an AWESOME LOOKING LIGHT GUN!!! I LOVE light gun games, so this definitely held my interest. All that, plus PS2 and PS1 backwards compatability? It seemed too good to be true, but after some research, it seemed as a saw it.

So after reading that, you probably have guessed my question. Is it worth it to get a PS3 at this point in it's lifespan? Will a PS4 come out soon with backwards compatability? Should I wait, or get the PS3? I ask beacause my 15th birthday is in July, and a PS3 seems like a perfect Birthday present.
    The PS3 has had the best exclusives for quite a while now. Metal Gear Solid 4, the Uncharted games, the God of War games, Infamous 1 and 2, Resistance 1,2 and 3, Killzone 2 and 3, etc are among the best games out there. The PS3 has many more years ahead of it with some of the best games coming next year like GTA5, Metal Gear Rising, God of War Ascension, The Last of Us etc. Don't let the possibility of the PS4 launching next year affect your decision to buy a PS3, the PS3 is gonna be supported with great games for many years to come.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 06-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I've essentially been PS3less for about a year. Works fine, it's just that the thermostat is screwed, so the fan runs when it shouldn't. My 20GB was my baby, and I very reluctantly packed it up a few months ago and put it in the closet.

I want to buy a new slim this fall, but with Sony's new console being next year, part of me wants to take a wait and see approach. It's not that I wouldn't get any use out of it, as I have quite a few games (not too mention A LOT of PSN stuff) , but it's the cost factor.
    Don't forget the PS4 is probably not going to be very affordable at launch, so getting a slim PS3 later this year is probably worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'd suggest looking up the codes on a Wiki somewhere for the 20 and 60GB model numbers and pick one of those up on Ebay. Sony is allowing you to send your console back now and get a refurbished version of the exact same model you currently own, so you could always find a cheap one on Ebay and then send it in for a replacement, although the replacement is $100 something, you'll get practically a brand new 60GB PS3.
    How long has this been going on? I want to say I'm screwed as I got my 20GB PS3 fixed by a third party (The thermostat was screwed before the fix. I didn't realize it until after I had dropped over $100 on repairs, essentially wasting my money)?

Also, even if I were able to do this, would I just get another 20GB HDD back, or would they do a data transfer of some kind, so I keep everything on my 400GB HDD?
    My Game Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Also, even if I were able to do this, would I just get another 20GB HDD back, or would they do a data transfer of some kind, so I keep everything on my 400GB HDD?
    You could always question them about it. I mean it does cost either $100 or $150 so it's not a free trade, but they give you the same model you have now(or atleast they were doing so six months to a year ago.) I'd question a representative about the issue first to make sure about it though before going through with it. It's always best to talk to a live person about everything rather than just send it and hope for the best.

With the hard drive you could ask the representative as well if they change it for you or if you would need to remove it and then just replace it once you receive the console or the refurbished console back.

I personally don't know because a friend of mine had his returned and he told me about it, still getting another 60GB back and he stated that it's not the same one because his old one had a scratch in it that this one didn't have. I think Frankie said he returned his as well. My PS3 has never had a problem so I haven't had to return it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Easily 95% of the software library for both platforms is identical for the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

If you don't like the 360's library of software, you're not going to enjoy the PS3's.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-26-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If you don't like the 360's library of software, you're not going to enjoy the PS3's.
    Yet that five percent can potentially make all the difference to which library you like more. But I agree that there are a lot of amazing multiconsole titles. Lords of Shadow, Dante's Inferno, Sacred 2, Army of Two the 40th Day, and Grand Theft Auto 4 are only a few of my favorites. In two months Sleeping Dogs is coming out and looks like it has the potential to be my favorite GTA style game.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Easily 95% of the software library for both platforms is identical for the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

Although possible, I doubt it from the OPs opening post.

Just a quick bullet point rundown of the features you get with a PS3.

Positives/Features:
    • Varried Genera selection of exclusive first party titles like Ratchet&Clank, Infamous, Killzone, Grant Turismo, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, etc.
    • Diverse selection of "quirky" exclusive games like Heavy Rain, Flower, Journey, Disgaea, Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.
    • Access to a lot of the heavy hitter PS1 games through their download selection like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, etc.
    • Entire section devoted to PS1 imports if your into that
    • (slowly :/) growing selection of PS2 games to download
    • Near full physical disc PS1 backwards compatibility with all PS3 versions
    • No region locking for PS3 games, so a wide selection of current gen import possibilities
    • PSN+ is a pretty good subscrition service offering free games, early demos, and good discounts...and its not required for online play..or watching netflix on your console
    • Easy to upgrade harddrive (buy a cheaper model and stick a 500 gig in, literally a plastic panel and a screw and doesn't ward your warranty last I checked.)
    • Most big releases in the last year have MOVE and/or 3D support if your interested in that
    • Growing selection of exclusive HD remasters sometimes including 3D support like Jack&Daxter, Ratchet&Clank, Sly Cooper, RE Chronicals, Ico&Shadows of the Colossus, etc.

Negatives/Drawbacks
    • Large number of different models are confusing, do your research first if your buying used and want PS2 compatibility
    • PSN isan't as "slick" as XBL, lacking features like cross game chat
    • System Updates and Game Updates can be very fusturating if you don't connect often
    • Third Party games will usually be inferior ports, depends on the game how inferior (some of the timed Xbox ports are the "complete" versions of the game with DLC included on the disc or other added features just check on a per game basis)
    • Removal of PS2 backwards compatibility on mid to late models..fucking bullshit they did this..(and linux support too I guess)

PS3 has a really diverse library and I really can't understand the "no games" complaint at this stage of its life unless said person literally just doesn't like anything put out on the console for some reason.

I also wouldn't put your hopes in the PS4 retaining backwards compatibility with the PS3 from early reports. If you do get one go the cheaper route, buy the smaller HD model, and put in a larger one the whole process literally takes less then 5 minutes and on the older models it told you how to do it in the manual. Its really a great console and its a shame that a lot of people are going to miss out on its wide variety of awesome games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Early adopter here

As an early adopter here of the PS3. I have a 20GB version going strong all these years. Built very well. The system has its pros and cons. I think that overall the library of games and console exclusives makes it a win. While I would love to have others get a PS3, I think that there SHOULD be a system console price drop before the holiday(if they are smart). The extra coating on Blu Rays games is nice to have to protect against scratches. My real only drawback about the system is that more than half my friends play online with their 360.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own 360, PS3, and Wii and strongly prefer 360. However, that doesn't mean PS3 is without its charms. Unless you really dig the Sony exclusives it's basically a 360 without the M$ exclusives. Also, as other posters said, most models don't play PS2 titles.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Although possible, I doubt it from the OPs opening post.
    A relative handful of 1st party releases (Most of which hardly tread new ground such as the Resistance series and Gran Turismo 5 or represent types of experiences not available to 360 owners with counterparts like three Forza releases to a single GT game) and the occasional downloadable exclusive (Of which there haven't been many of) hardly seems reason to buy a Playstation 3 after apparantly being nothing but disatisfied by the selection that is available.

That selection is essentially the same as on the Xbox 360. I don't see how someone could fall in love with a Playstation 3 after being disgusted with almost the same library of games on the competition. And while you mention some nice positives that the Playstation 3 offers, I doubt most people consider things like PSone compatibility as game changers. And the Xbox 360 has gotten scores of niche releases that are prime material for the classic gamer like that excellent Raiden Fighters compilation.

I hope he enjoys the heck out of it since it's a nice console, but I just don't see it in light of what he wrote in his post. The library's are so similar and such a massive percentage of them are multiplatform releases available on both that I just can't imagine someone that thinks the 360's library wasn't satisfactory thinking any differently about the PS3's.

Kind of surprised with so many multiple console owners here that I'm the first to raise the fact that greater than 95% of all releases on both consoles are available on both. Seems foolish to recommend it to him in light of his experience with almost the same library of releases on the 360.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-26-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

You probably won't see the next Playstation until the fall of 2013, or 1st quarter of 2014, so there's plenty of time left for the PS3.

The PS3 has been my favorite console for the past couple of years, though in 2007 I bought a 360 for Bioshock and Mass Effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    As an early adopter here of the PS3. I have a 20GB version going strong all these years. Built very well. The system has its pros and cons. I think that overall the library of games and console exclusives makes it a win. While I would love to have others get a PS3, I think that there SHOULD be a system console price drop before the holiday(if they are smart). The extra coating on Blu Rays games is nice to have to protect against scratches. My real only drawback about the system is that more than half my friends play online with their 360.
    Bah. Very jealous. I don't even know how my 20GB YLODed back in September 2010, as I always took the utmost care of it. I blame Resident Evil Gold. I put that in my console to check out the new content, and my PS3 spit it out, then yellow lighted. It's as if it was telling me "Get that shit out of me! I'm calling it quits!" Yeah, I really hated Resident Evil 5 too.

I'm thinking the thermostat got messed up the first time I got it repaired. But it didn't start acting up until around 6 months later or so...

That does it, I'm hooking the damn thing back up. Let's see what happens.
    My Game Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Your PS3 is probably okay. If you have the skills to do so, I'd check the thermal paste on your CPU.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Bah. Very jealous. I don't even know how my 20GB YLODed back in September 2010, as I always took the utmost care of it. I blame Resident Evil Gold. I put that in my console to check out the new content, and my PS3 spit it out, then yellow lighted. It's as if it was telling me "Get that shit out of me! I'm calling it quits!" Yeah, I really hated Resident Evil 5 too.

I'm thinking the thermostat got messed up the first time I got it repaired. But it didn't start acting up until around 6 months later or so...

That does it, I'm hooking the damn thing back up. Let's see what happens.
    I know that we've been over this before, but for those who are still hanging on to outdated information from the early days where Sony stopped manufacturing backwards-compatible PS3s and the guarantee was not available I'll share again-

SONY DOES service/repair all makes/models and all variations of backwards compatible units and they presently guarantee that you'll get the same type back that you send in, even if they need to fully replace it with a new/refurb system.

No, under normal circumstances they won't transfer your HDD data during a repair, so there's a possibility of lost data, but - you can direct transfer from PS3 to PS3 using the built-in HDD transfer tool with an Ethernet cable if your unit is functional/not YLOD ...

So, Cloud, if your 20 GB PS3 is working post-"repair" (which I assume was somebody offering some type of unlicensed work) and you DO get a slim PS3 for general everyday PS3 usage, transfer all your stuff via the HDD transfer tool to the Slim, send the 20GB back to Sony for a full service repair (which will run you about $100 or so + shipping, worth it IMO to save/restore a BC unit) and when you get the unit back transfer the data BACK to the 20GB using the tool.

I know I know, it's not cheap, but it's a means to an end where you (or anybody else with that problem) will have as close to a factory fresh BC PS3 as is possible.

As far as the question of whether or not PS3 is worth it at this point? The software library is great IMO and while there's a very large parity with brick/mortar releases between PS3 and 360 I'm shocked people in this community are under-selling what is available on the PSN.

From PSOne games to Minis, to imports, to classic remakes, theres a metric ton of stuff on there that should appeal to the classic game enthusiast, and with PLUS you get access to a lot of that content for "free" (yes yes semantics) on a weekly basis.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

What I'm worried about though is if Sony will even bother? I heard that if you've had a third party work on your console, Sony won't even touch it.

Okay, doing a bit of research, it appears that Sony could fix it, despite the third party work. It's only the warranty that is an issue if the console is tampered with. Considering the fact my 20GB is a launch model, don't think that's an issue at this point.

Also, I just hooked it back up to check things out. Fifteen minutes after turning it on, fan was on full blast. So I'll probably just go the slim route, and not even bother with my 20GB at this point.

It's done, time to retire it completely. I've put so much money into her with upgrades and repairs, I'd feel like I'm wasting my time and money at this point.
    Last edited by Cloud121; 06-26-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    My Game Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

^Like I said, just contact them. It's much cheaper than buying a new PS3 and you'll retain backwards compatibility. They'll even offer the option of replacing your PS3 for a newer version. Still costs money, but it's cheaper than getting the exact same version back if I remember correctly. I think it's $100 for replacement of the current slim model and $150 to guarantee a refurbished or them fixing your current PS3.

Just remember to ask them if it's fine if you take your hard drive out and put it in the new PS3 will that allow you to keep everything or ask if you send it with the hard drive will they do it?

http://us.playstation.com/corporate/contactus/ 800-345-SONY