Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Consoles Are Dying, Says Developer [Slashdot]

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by jrokshady View Post
    During the video game crash of 1983 people thought that it was the end of videogames. 3 years later they were lining up to buy Super Mario.
    Again, and I can not stress this enough, the presentation was not about games going away or the industry dissolving to nothing, it's about disruptive technology screwing with the traditional incremental improvements in console & portable life-cycles.

It's about the possibility of future fundamental shifts in how games are produced and the platforms that they're delivered on.

(everybody) If you haven't set aside a good 20 minutes to watch it, I strongly encourage you to do so. I don't agree with everything presented, but it's really really thought-provoking stuff if you're even the slightest bit open-minded about the possibility of change occurring, like, ever.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrokshady View Post
    During the video game crash of 1983 people thought that it was the end of videogames. 3 years later they were lining up to buy Super Mario.
    Again, PC gaming was thriving at this point.

It wasn't gaming that people though was dying, it was just the current consoles and they way that they marketed their games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Again, PC gaming was thriving at this point.
    It wasn't PC gaming, it was home computer gaming with systems like the Spectrum, C64, Apple II and Atari 8-bits.

It wasn't gaming that people though was dying, it was just the current consoles and they way that they marketed their games.
    It was console gaming hitting a cross-roads, where it didn't offer the type of games that were available on the home computers.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    It wasn't PC gaming, it was home computer gaming with systems like the Spectrum, C64, Apple II and Atari 8-bits.
    "It wasn't personal computer gaming, it was home computer gaming!"

EDIT: It's a meaningless delineation. These systems were the form that PC gaming had taken at the time.
    Last edited by Berserker; 03-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Oh look yet another retard from a bullshit "game developer" that put's out something that os meant to waste 3 seconds of the day claiming consoles are dying or the 3DS or The Vita will fail. Wake me up when these guys make real games.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post

EDIT: It's a meaningless delineation.
    Seriously - it's total pedantry. And I would argue that the primary problem was not the fact that consoles weren't offering the same types of games that PCs (or "home computers" or "computing machines" or whatever) could. The dominant console company (Atari) was creating loads of bad games and awful ports of arcade games that disappointed consumers because there was a total mismatch between customers' expectations (arcade experience) and the actuality (crappy Pac-Man port, or whatever). In addition, they were producing massive quantities of this garbage - a total mismatch between demand and its supply.

Current console makers don't make business decisions this horribly any more, thanks to good market research. Still, they might be upstaged by some other technology - tablets or whatever. I still think there will be some sort of central home processing unit - something like a home server - backing that up. It might not even be adjacent to the TV - could be hooked up in the basement and broadcasting to the house.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

EDIT: It's a meaningless delineation. These systems were the form that PC gaming had taken at the time.
    Those cheap affordable computers made it possible for the average consumer to afford a computer in the home. Even with the release of the Tandy 1000 and the IBM PC Jr, those 8-bit computers were the foundation for home computer gaming on a mass consumer level. It would not be until 1988 that the PC would have a soundcard to support multi-channel sound, before that it was beeps and such streamed through a small speaker inside of the case, while 8-bit computer gamers were enjoying games featuring music and sounds just like the arcade games. PC gaming really didn't hit its stride until the late 80's/early 90's.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-15-2012 at 09:24 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This tangent is hurting my head

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This tangent is hurting my head

http://lowendmac.com/musings/08mm/th...-not-a-pc.html

Despite its name, the IBM PC was designed for the office, not the home. It was "personal" in that it had its own CPU and wasn't a terminal dependent on a minicomputer for processing power. It was designed for word processing, spreadsheets, and databases, and the standard business configuration included a green screen display and a text-only video card. You had to learn DOS to use the programs, and productivity software came with huge manuals. And if you wanted low resolution color graphics, you had to use a different video card and display.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand what you're saying, I just don't see the point of splitting hairs in this context. We know he's referring to 8-bit home computers because we know that IBM PC gaming proper wasn't thriving during the console crash. That's why it's a meaningless delineation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I understand what you're saying, I just don't see the point of splitting hairs in this context. We know he's referring to 8-bit home computers because we know that IBM PC gaming proper wasn't thriving during the console crash. That's why it's a meaningless delineation.
    I don't see it as a meaningless delineation, because the term PC did not = home computer back in the early 80's. PC gaming did exist, during the early 80's, but it was mostly text adventures and titles that didn't require color graphics and advanced sound. The 2 should not be synonymous.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-16-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    The thing is, at what point does a console stop being a console? If you take a tablet, add some ports for accessories and and some measure of A/V out then you're not really missing anything that current game consoles have. If Nintendo made something like that would it be fair to say they "dropped out of consoles in favor of tablets"? It'd be more like convergent evolution than extinction in that case.
    I remember when people used to talk about how game consoles wouldn't be around for too much longer, because The Future™ was multi-purpose set top boxes. Most of those predictions came true in terms of features implemented, but we don't call them "set top boxes".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

For tablets to still be widely accepted as a gaming platform for gamers, then they still have to satisfy two things that inherently can't be done on a tablet as we know it. Implementing more precise control and large scale display. If you can simply hook up controls wirelessly to the tablet and transmit video output either physically or wirelessly to a TV, then you'd still sort of have a console right?

If this all comes down to semantics, then how do we define a console? Regardless of the arguments made here, no one in their right mind could ever say the console experience will die...Now we just have to come to the correct definition of console. Is it more the experience or the platform we're talking about?
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nevermind. It's been already.
    Last edited by Griking; 03-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mobile games like Angry Birds on iPad, iPhone etc can never replace console games. Mobile games are something you play when you're waiting around for an appointment or riding on the train and have nothing better to do. Console games are what you play when you want a mind blowing and realistic gaming experience. Touch controls are fucking horrible for games as well. I hate using touch controls for something as simple as Tetris, I couldn't imagine using touch controls for something like Gran Turismo or Uncharted. The video game market is big enough so that both mobile and console games can co-exist.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 03-17-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

as nice as tablets/phones and free/cheap games on them are you can't beat a nice portable or console dedicated to gaming. And pc gaming in order to compete with consoles tends to be too expensive (of course you have your cheap games that rock and games can be technically better on pcs but still)

I see a place for consoles in the future just with changes of course in things like pricing/. media etc