Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS3 taking BC totally out What the Heck

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    edit: kid ice, i dont know when you had your ps3, but most of those are fixed now. i dont remember the last time i had to 'manage' my virtual mem cards =P
    If you have a multitude of PS1 and PS2 memory cards "created" ... it'll at the very least force you to set the ones you want up in Virtual Slot 1 or Virtual Slot 2 ... but just like a PS1 or PS2, if the game "searches" both slots, for the correct format card/save you should be good from there, and the cards that you've "left" assigned should "stay" assigned until you un-assign them.

A fine feature of the PS3 is that if you have the Memory Card reader/writer, you can actually write the virtual cards OUT to cards of the "real" variety.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    A fine feature of the PS3 is that if you have the Memory Card reader/writer, you can actually write the virtual cards OUT to cards of the "real" variety.
    ... Can I do this on a Windows machine?

I'd love to be able to take downloaded game saves and use them on my games... sorry for the off topicness >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... Can I do this on a Windows machine?

I'd love to be able to take downloaded game saves and use them on my games... sorry for the off topicness >_>
    The short answer is no. No PC drivers for the device.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chadt74 View Post
    Why is everyone so upset about having to have a PS2 around?
    Maybe because BC is a standard feature, mostly, thanks to Sony. The most expensive box omitting a 'standard feature' is read as a rip off.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    first of all, old news.
    secondly, one big advantage of ps3 BC (vs having a ps2) is hdmi 1080p upconversion, those of us with modern TVs know how important (and better) this is.
    This is exactly why I want a BC PS3. I have a crappy early Vizio L37 and PS1/PS2 games look like total garbage on it with a PStwo. You can literally count the individual pixels from 5 feet away because they're so chunky.

It's so bad that with the exception of a few Bemani titles, I've pretty much stopped playing Playstation games all together. Would be a totally different story if I had a BC PS3 though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    Ahh! The days when no system offered any compatibility except for the console name stamped on the plastic.

Why is everyone so upset about having to have a PS2 around? I keep a couple of PS1s because some games just don't work on the PS2. Tempest X and Tomb Raider 1 don't work on a PS2.
    the biggest reason is HD upscaling. A PS2, even with component cables looks like garbage on an HD set (save for the painfully few games that support progressive scan). As a collector, im keeping my older systems, but they will remained hooked up to an SD television. My 60GB PS3 (look for used ones on gamestops website, 449 is a deal and a half compared to ebay) will play most ps1 and ps2 games and make them look halfway decent on an HD set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok so what is the the best PS3 to get for BC? is it the 60 gig (sounds like it) or the 80 gig with emulation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

60 gig is probably the best since it's PS2 hardware in there, while the old 80 gigs are software emulation. Though harder to find, 20 gig models work too (they lack the memory card reader and the built in wi-fi, but are cheaper). When I finally broke down and bought a PS3 this summer, I managed to get a refurb'd 60 gig, and then retired my PS2 to the bedroom.

I think the simple fact is, it's a pain in the ass to keep too many systems hooked up at once. I keep the current gen ones in my living room, the classics in the bedroom, because otherwise it's just way too much clutter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    Why is everyone so upset about having to have a PS2 around? I keep a couple of PS1s because some games just don't work on the PS2. Tempest X and Tomb Raider 1 don't work on a PS2.
    Because the PS2 compatibility was there to begin with and is being taken out? We know that PS2 games can be played via software, so we know they are intentionally crippling the system.

In regards to the PS1 games on PS2 thing, there are literally about a dozen games (out of how many?) that have any sort of issue on the PS2, and most are just cosmetic problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 60GB but none of my PS2 games work in it. heh.

In all honesty though, I think most people who care about BC, have already purchased a system.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000 View Post

In all honesty though, I think most people who care about BC, have already purchased a system.
    Seriously? I have about 50 games, and all of the ones I've tried have worked perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They never emulated the PS2, just 1 chip. There still was some PS2 hardware inside.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000 View Post

i think you got scammed then lol. unless you have only 2 ps2 games, which just happen to not work - and they are quite horrible anyway.

anyway, buying a ps3 60gb for upconverting is the SOLE purpose i own it. i got it on ebay when Microsoft was doing their 35% cashback promotion (lol yes MS helped pay for my model!) and i managed to get a pristine one. however you can get great complete models on www.gamefunk.com (380$) i got my Sony BD remote from them. good company, reliable.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 09-09-2008 at 06:20 PM.