Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I never dreamed I'd have as many games as I do six years ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I never dreamed I'd have as many games as I do six years ago!

I now how almost all of the games I had ever wanted (8 or so) since I first heard about many of them. I'm amazed at how fast I'm finding such rare titles. I don't want to jynx anything but I will say that I'm impressed with my collection and I'm probably never sell them. How far, how easy was it for you solidify your Famicom, Game Boy, SNES, NES and Game Boy collections?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nensondubois View Post
    I now how almost all of the games I had ever wanted (8 or so) since I first heard about many of them. I'm amazed at how fast I'm finding such rare titles. I don't want to jynx anything but I will say that I'm impressed with my collection and I'm probably never sell them. How far, how easy was it for you solidify your Famicom, Game Boy, SNES, NES and Game Boy collections?
    Great work at collecting 8 games. Just wait till you hit 9, that's when storage becomes an issue

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post
    Great work at collecting 8 games. Just wait till you hit 9, that's when storage becomes an issue

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I think i've bought 8 DS games this month alone....
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Did you mean 8 different systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Why the surprise? six years? You do realize how long that is dont you? That's atleast 72 months, 312 weeks, or 2191 days (2192 if 2 leap years). Unless you've lived in a hippy commie commune where owning your own toilet paper is shunned, your eventualy going to get stuff and lots of it. Congrats on finding stuff.

What was it you found anyways?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing he means he has only 8 to go to hit his goal, and not just 8 games total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, 8 more games to go. 6 years since I had initially heard about them and wanted them, and about 2 years actually obtaining them. around 4,000 games in total is what I have now.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Snappaccino's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, 8 more games to go. 6 years since I had initially heard about them and wanted them, and about 2 years actually obtaining them. around 4,000 games in total is what I have now.
    It would have helped if you made your first post more clear and not make us think that your excited about getting 8 games in 6 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have nearly 4,000 - that's a ton of games. Good luck playing them all, I can't even play the 500 or so that I have.

It's taken me about 15 years to collect 500 games.. just a few, here and there, garage sales, thrift stores, ebay, etc etc. I have rarely got a huge lot except for the 3DO lot I aquired recently (with 57 games). It's more impressive when someone has built up a collection over many many years a few games at a time, than it is with someone that buys 100 game lots on ebay constantly.

I've also got rid of many games as well, I'd probably have 1000 games if I never got rid of any of them.

Storage space sucks, specially for controllers, a/c adapters, a/v cords, etc etc. Is there any one good way to sort through all that mess? I have controllers in one box, cords in another. But I still have to empty the box when I need to find something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got about 150 games and I've only beatin about 12 of them. I'm thinking about selling my collection actually because I never play my games.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I don't have nearly 4,000 - that's a ton of games. Good luck playing them all, I can't even play the 500 or so that I have.

It's taken me about 15 years to collect 500 games.. just a few, here and there, garage sales, thrift stores, ebay, etc etc. I have rarely got a huge lot except for the 3DO lot I aquired recently (with 57 games). It's more impressive when someone has built up a collection over many many years a few games at a time, than it is with someone that buys 100 game lots on ebay constantly.

I've also got rid of many games as well, I'd probably have 1000 games if I never got rid of any of them.

Storage space sucks, specially for controllers, a/c adapters, a/v cords, etc etc. Is there any one good way to sort through all that mess? I have controllers in one box, cords in another. But I still have to empty the box when I need to find something.
    Keep your systems in a labeled laptop bag and put your matching controllers and cords in there with it. It's what I do. Fits nice on a bookshelf with tall enough spaces.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Keep your systems in a labeled laptop bag and put your matching controllers and cords in there with it. It's what I do. Fits nice on a bookshelf with tall enough spaces.
    Great idea. And you can often find laptop bags for a couple bucks each at thrift stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mostly see sports titles in thrift stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    It's more impressive when someone has built up a collection over many many years a few games at a time, than it is with someone that buys 100 game lots on ebay constantly.
    Agreed. It took me 25 years to amass approximately 1800 games (1982-2007) when I essentially all but stopped collecting (taking a break?). The process was gradual, organic, and spread out over many years and I have tons of wonderful memories associated with acquiring them and playing them. I have many, many stories I could tell and I can tell you where I found the majority of my games.

Whenever I would get on an eBay kick to try and fill gaps in a collection (occasionally buying small lots of games), it never ever felt as satisfying. I didn't have that warm feeling; I would feel empty. I eventually hit the saturation point and realized I couldn't continue like that, so I pretty much stopped.

Guess I'm just trying to say that it's all about the journey, not the destination.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I now how almost all of the games I had ever wanted (8 or so) since I first heard about many of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snappaccino View Post
    It would have helped if you made your first post more clear and not make us think that your excited about getting 8 games in 6 years.
    He didn't get 8 games, he howed 8 games. Me, I can only how 4 games simultaneously at any given time.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    He didn't get 8 games, he howed 8 games. Me, I can only how 4 games simultaneously at any given time.
    Yeah, usually the older you get, the less you can how. I'm down to six, myself.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Snappaccino's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    touche.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can somewhat relate. When i first happened upon this site and soaked up as much info as i could about rarities I dreamed of owning snes gems like aero fighters, chavez 2 and fun n games. Then bam, in 2005 I purchased all 3 within months of each other. Like Oprah said, appreciate what you have and you'll have more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I mostly see sports titles in thrift stores.
    Sports games are like a plague on most thrift stores I've seen. I think it's because the people who get into football games the most are the kind of people who don't care what machine they play them on. They don't have any loyalty to any particular console, so when a new machine comes out they get rid of the old one just to have the better graphics, even though the gameplay is the same.

I've found all sorts of good (and occasionally rare) games and consoles in thrifts, it just takes perseverance. When I started thrifting, I didn't find anything good at first. I was about to throw in the towel, but I made one last round of stores and I bought a Vectrex for $5. After that I got the 'bug'. You might hit the same stores a dozen times and not find a thing, but all it takes is that one crazy find that keeps you motivated into going to all those dumpy thrift stores and flea markets.