Thread: Total Games for Systems

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Total Games for Systems

I am in the process of constructing my basement into a MASSIVE game room. I am building custom shelves for each of the game systems games. What I am having a hard time determining is the amount of titles for these systems.

Playstation 2 (US releases)
    X-box (US releases)
    Playstation 1 (US Releases)
    Sega CD (US Releases)
    Sega Saturn (US Releases)
    3DO (US releases)

I plan on EVENTUALLY getting every title for each of these systems and just want to make sure the shelving is setup correctly before.

Thanks in advance.

Bioshockfan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's what you need.

http://bit.ly/1BchDPF

You know you're nuts, right?

You could put the whole PSX and Sega CD catalogue on a hard drive and play them through an OUYA or cheap PC in the space of a shoebox.

Also, you left off the Sega Dreamcast. SHAME ON YOU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by bioshockfan View Post
    I am in the process of constructing my basement into a MASSIVE game room. I am building custom shelves for each of the game systems games. What I am having a hard time determining is the amount of titles for these systems.

X-box (US releases)
    Sega CD (US Releases)
    3DO (US releases)

I plan on EVENTUALLY getting every title for each of these systems and just want to make sure the shelving is setup correctly before.

Thanks in advance.

Bioshockfan

Actually, you've asked a very difficult question. Are you talking about getting every unique title, or all titles plus their variants? For example, some games have a greatest hits version vs a black label version.

I think you're looking close to 5000 games you're going to be going after. Got some deep pockets friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Couple things to consider before spending thousands of dollars on this sort of collection:

First point:
    Like magnetic tape cassettes, discs are not anywhere close to eternal. Even if they are scratch free, CD-ROMs have a life expectancy of around ~30 years if stored in vertical protective cases and exposed to an average temperature of 25°C (77°F) and 50% relative humidity. DVD-ROMs are about ~45 years under the same conditions. Disc rot will set in for a good number of those CD-ROM based consoles relatively soon. I already own Sega CD and even Dreamcast games that are no longer playable due to disc rot. Unless you're okay with the idea that your collection will be almost entirely unplayable in ~40 years time, you might want to rethink collecting for thousands upon thousands of disc based games.

Second point:
    If you're goal to own every title for each platform, keep in mind in no uncertain terms, you will be spending thousands of dollars to own awful games and games for genres you don't even like. This is why I question the thought processes of all those people who collect full sets for any console. What's the point of collecting games or really anything if you don't actually like the thing you're collecting?

Myself, I collect original Xbox games too, but only titles that I personally like. You won't ever see a Madden title in my Xbox collection because well, my goal is not to own a full set of every Xbox game ever made, it's just to own every single Xbox game ever made that I like. It's an important distinction.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I would personally stick to maybe collecting all games for just one system. I'm working on Saturn games, myself, but I only buy a new game every once in a great while. Getting a full set could take years for just one system, unless you have thousands to spend every week on games. If you just keep picking away at the systems you want to collect for, you will have a room that looks like a library in no time. Like others have said before, stick to games you like or cost you next to nothing, so you aren't just spending money and wasting space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Don't do it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Playstation 2 and Xbox games would be the cheapest of those to collect individually. I'd say forget the older ones and do those first. Almost all the games should be able to be found for only a few bucks a piece. If there's like 2500 or so PS2 US games not collecting variants and you can find everything for $3, expect to pay at least $7500. That giving leeway for expensive games, it might be possible to get the whole US PS2 library for approximately $10,000.

Once the big dog falls, Xbox should be cheaper as it has far less games and the same current cheapness to it.

Everything else - save 'em for later unless you want to get all the $3-4 ones out of the way like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or Frogger for PS1. A lot of the good Playstation and Saturn games will cost a lot of money.

Also you should get a good hard drive and Ultra ISO to back up all your stuff (cds as bin/cue and DVDs as ISO), and get modded systems so you can still play all your games when you're a senior and all the discs are dead by burning new copies. Assuming recordable cds still exist by then. They probably will if blank cassettes and VHS are still being sold in packs at Target for $7 to this day.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

X-box (US releases)
    Sega CD (US Releases)
    3DO (US releases)

Thanks in advance.

Bioshockfan

I can't help on all of them but...

-Check out Game Rave, the best resource you will ever have: http://game-rave.com/?page_id=167

Sega CD (US Releases)
    -172 distinct variant releases. This is from my custom spreadsheet.

-256, Satakore has a phenomenal database that I consider the best: http://www.satakore.com/saturndb.php...d=%C2%A0Search

3DO (US releases)
    -Check out an insane asylum. Seriously though, 3D0?!

If you are just starting to collect for any of these individual ones though you and your wallet are going to be in a world of hurt. Everything is stupid expensive now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Actually, you've asked a very difficult question. Are you talking about getting every unique title, or all titles plus their variants? For example, some games have a greatest hits version vs a black label version.

I think you're looking close to 5000 games you're going to be going after. Got some deep pockets friend.
    I have close to 3,000 games already been collecting for over 10 years. I am looking for every unique title plus their variants.

Thanks

Bioshockfan (I know im crazy to attempt this)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I can't help on all of them but...

-Check out Game Rave, the best resource you will ever have: http://game-rave.com/?page_id=167

Sega CD (US Releases)
    -172 distinct variant releases. This is from my custom spreadsheet.

-256, Satakore has a phenomenal database that I consider the best: http://www.satakore.com/saturndb.php...d=%C2%A0Search

3DO (US releases)

If you are just starting to collect for any of these individual ones though you and your wallet are going to be in a world of hurt. Everything is stupid expensive now.
    Thanks for the advice on the sites. Like i said in a similar response. I have been collecting for about 10 years and have close to 3,000 games and many of the rares just trying to get the correct shelving layout when they are completed so it looks better

Bioshockfan

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Here's what you need.

http://bit.ly/1BchDPF

You know you're nuts, right?

You could put the whole PSX and Sega CD catalogue on a hard drive and play them through an OUYA or cheap PC in the space of a shoebox.

Also, you left off the Sega Dreamcast. SHAME ON YOU.
    I already know the total amount of US released DC games. (Love that system btw)

Bioshockfan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfm...fQD-NxizvQMAhg

check this guys collection he pretty much has what your aiming for and more

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfm...fQD-NxizvQMAhg

check this guys collection he pretty much has what your aiming for and more
    I am aiming for that and then some. My entire basement will be engulfed in games in the future. Pics will be coming soon.

Bioshockfan.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    3DO (US releases)
    Aww, don't diss the 3DO. I've had a lot of fun with mine, and I've arguably gotten more enjoyment out of it than my Sega CD. Really, the only major thing wrong with it was the price tag, and that's moot now.

@OP: Are you including demo CDs, samplers, utility discs (Game Guru), variants, and multigame collection re-releases like the "Gunslinger Collection" and "3DO Action Pak"? What about Older Games/Good Deal Games releases of unreleased/prototype games, like Decathlon and Powerslide -- or for that matter Icebreaker 2?

3DO is very tricky since you have multiple case sizes to deal with, though I guess it's not that different from the PlayStation longbox situation. Just about all of the samplers, variants, and adult-themed releases used regular jewel cases, IIRC, though Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is a notable exception.

My spreadsheet lists 183 releases with samplers, game collections, and unreleased games included. Without those, I've got 169, but I wouldn't trust that number, and the longbox vs. jewel case count remains to be dealt with.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I am aiming for that and then some. My entire basement will be engulfed in games in the future. Pics will be coming soon.

Bioshockfan.

Basement, huh?? Does you basement flood at all? Before you fill it with valuable games you might wanna consider flooding and humidity.
    THe humidifier in my basement pulls over a gallon of water from the air in my basement every day. No place for valuable games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

If your basement is finished and you don't have a toilet, sink or shower down there you might be somewhat safe. Depends on where you live and how your basement is made/where the plumbing in your house runs. If your basement has no windows, has concrete walls and is free of water pipes, even better.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive been collecting for only about 1.5 years, been gaming my whole life, but I have about 600 games now, and I mainly just buy games I wanna play, and I really enjoy it. I've been shopping at thrift stores and stuff for years now so now I have specific things I look for now when I go thrifting.

I'm really only interested in completing an NES set, tho. I know that may sound cliche, I don't care, and obviously some games are so obscure it's very unlikely I'd ever own them, but I'd like to get as complete as I can with it. I just find that it's one of the few systems I can enjoy even the "shovelware" titles like the sports games and stuff, so why not? It's the first system I ever played, yada yada, most of the same reasons everyone else collects NES games. I may go complete with the N64 also, but I just keep going back to the NES. It'll get expensive obviously, at some point, but for now I love picking up the cheap $5 games and trying them out, most of the library is actually pretty cheap, and the popular-but-common titles like Contra and Duck Tales are more reasonably priced then SNES or N64 games are. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy or anything, in the 90s I went from NES to Genesis to PS1 to PS2, so I have no obsession with Nintendo, I just really love the system the most.

It's just a fantastic balance of in-depth console games, with more replayability and storyline then Atari games, but still removed enough from the generic shovelware that came out during more modern systems' lifespans, and still has the same charm as the old Atari games have. Plus theres tonsa weird novelty games, rare items, and the library is large so it'll keep me busy, it holds the origins of so many major franchises, has some of the best and worst games of alltime, u can't go wrong. It also has some decent ports of classic arcade games like Donkey Kong and Qbert and stuff, which are better then those on the Colecovision or Atari 2600.

Good luck with the Xbox and PS2, theres a TON of games on those systems. I'd recommend perhaps getting all the Xbox exclusives first, it may be a fun sub-collection to work towards until u can really go complete.