Thread: What are the chances of an offlne gaming console being released in the future?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default What are the chances of an offlne gaming console being released in the future?

Meaning a game console that can not connect to the internet like any console released before Dreamcast (Im not counting X-Band)

Not wanting to debate the merits of whether the idea is good or bad but simply the liklihood of it ever happening.

Im going to say "yes" given all the pushback to online connectivity. I think it will come in the form of a crowd funded project and if that is successful, Nintendo may do something offline that would be a companion to their main console that would still be online. And then maybe Sony and Microsoft could follow suit

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Crowd funded indie* developer i meant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I don't see it happening. Is there really push back? I mean more than from just a handful of retro-gamers? Maybe like you said, through a kickstarter campaign, but even still, for a console to be successful it needs games, lots of games, and physical games are expensive to produce.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I don't see it happening. Is there really push back? I mean more than from just a handful of retro-gamers? Maybe like you said, through a kickstarter campaign, but even still, for a console to be successful it needs games, lots of games, and physical games are expensive to produce.
    Agree. There is no real demand for this. Even if you don't like the social or online play aspects of modern consoles, having the ability to download patches and fixes for hardware and software is critical.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

They're made every day, they're called plug-and-play consoles.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    They're made every day, they're called plug-and-play consoles.
    Those are just clone consoles usually. Id like a system with modern controller and new modern games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Unless the stars align and some sort of indie project gets of the ground, its just not going to happen. I don't really like it, I'm not going to like it, but that's how it is. Devs and publishers are going for minimum effort, short development cycle, and using dollar bills as earplugs instead of actually listening and fixing. OTOH, the convenience of downloading games makes things all too easy for the average consumer; we're in a culture of 'right now' especially when it comes to entertainment. My work place has a fairly strong collective of 'serious' gamers, but most of them would rather die than wait for a physical copy of anything. Ironic that "buying Final Fantasy 7 for 40 bucks at Best Buy" is becoming the gamer equivalent of "walked 15 miles in the snow to get to school."
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Unless the stars align and some sort of indie project gets of the ground, its just not going to happen. I don't really like it, I'm not going to like it, but that's how it is. Devs and publishers are going for minimum effort, short development cycle, and using dollar bills as earplugs instead of actually listening and fixing. OTOH, the convenience of downloading games makes things all too easy for the average consumer; we're in a culture of 'right now' especially when it comes to entertainment. My work place has a fairly strong collective of 'serious' gamers, but most of them would rather die than wait for a physical copy of anything. Ironic that "buying Final Fantasy 7 for 40 bucks at Best Buy" is becoming the gamer equivalent of "walked 15 miles in the snow to get to school."
    I think people underestimate how many people still want to support brick and mortar stores.

A good argument for this is the resurgence of vinyl/new music being produced on vinyl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    My work place has a fairly strong collective of 'serious' gamers, but most of them would rather die than wait for a physical copy of anything. Ironic that "buying Final Fantasy 7 for 40 bucks at Best Buy" is becoming the gamer equivalent of "walked 15 miles in the snow to get to school."
    The ironic thing is that in some cases they probably wait hours or more for the game to download.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I think people underestimate how many people still want to support brick and mortar stores.

A good argument for this is the resurgence of vinyl/new music being produced on vinyl
    As someone who collects vinyl, I can assure you that the brick and mortar part of that uptick in sales is almost nonexistent. Sure, Barnes and Noble and Target have small selections of vinyl, but I don't know anyone that actually buys it there. In fact, a bunch of retail music stores that cropped up in the last decade have closed or are in the process of downsizing or closing. Amazon and other online retailers have most of the market and Amazon actually has special protective packaging for vinyl which means that for the most part, you can get it both cheaper and in better condition online rather than going to a retail store.